RichardS

Default Electrical Building Regs Part P

"Tony Halmarack" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 23:56:10 +0100, "RichardS" noaccess@invalid
wrote:

"jim_in_sussex" wrote in message
. com...
Part P comes in on 1/1/05.

looks like a diy killer. What can you touch in house with all mod
cons which doesn't impinge on the electrics?

Is there any allowance in the date for work in progress & if so, how
long do you get to finish? Would it depend on the scale of the
project and/or whether it is a project in progress under building regs
approval except for part P?

Ah well, another stupid law to ignore.

Oh no citizen! You must realise the guillotine is your friend.
It may make your neck a little sore but costly, inconvenient haircuts
will be a thing of the past.

Hmmm, p'raps I'll start a one-man protest as the 'Lectric Martyr.....

btw, although as someone pointed out it's probably too late now, I feel that
this change deserves a much, much wider audience than it enjoys at the
moment.

Have begun emailing various current affairs programs (R4's PM etc al), my
MP, leaders of opposition parties & jag+2's counterparts, etc, bringing
attention to this issue. Would urge anyone else who feels strongly about
it to do the same - single email may be ignored, but a whole raft of them in
different formats from different people & they start to wonder if there's
any political advantage to be gained in challenging it....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Tony Bryer

In article , RichardS
wrote:
Hmmm, p'raps I'll start a one-man protest as the 'Lectric Martyr.....

btw, although as someone pointed out it's probably too late now, I
feel that this change deserves a much, much wider audience than it
enjoys at the moment.

Have begun emailing various current affairs programs (R4's PM etc al),
my MP, leaders of opposition parties & jag+2's counterparts, etc,
bringing attention to this issue.

The daughter of L-D MP Dr Jenny Tonge was fatally electrocuted on July
31. The kitchen had just been refitted:

so I can't see the LibDems being at all sympathetic. Assuming the wiring
was done by a 'professional' (I do not know whether it was or not) it
just shows that even tighter controls are needed - or so politicians of
all parties would tend to argue.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid writes:

Have begun emailing various current affairs programs (R4's PM etc al), my
MP, leaders of opposition parties & jag+2's counterparts, etc, bringing
attention to this issue. Would urge anyone else who feels strongly about
it to do the same - single email may be ignored, but a whole raft of them in
different formats from different people & they start to wonder if there's
any political advantage to be gained in challenging it....

Good luck, but a number of us did this at the consultation stage
and were ignored then. At this point I really don't see it's worth
wasting any time on. I simply cannot see the majority of the 200,000
installation electrical workers who are not part of NICEIC are going
to start handling over £1000/year for no perceived benefit on their
part in the next 6 months, so there is unlikely to be much chance of
getting electrical work done other than by unapproved contractors
from that point on. Existing membership of the trade bodies is very
low, as most of the trade does not seem to like their trade bodies
very much (at least NICEIC, may not be true for ECA).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Bob Eager

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:04:31 UTC, Tony Bryer
wrote:

The daughter of L-D MP Dr Jenny Tonge was fatally electrocuted on July
31. The kitchen had just been refitted:

It's not yet clear (AFAIK) whether it was a faulty appliance.

so I can't see the LibDems being at all sympathetic. Assuming the wiring
was done by a 'professional' (I do not know whether it was or not) it
just shows that even tighter controls are needed - or so politicians of
all parties would tend to argue.

Of course, if it was rewired by an NICEIC person...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Hamie

dmc wrote:
In article ,
G&M wrote:

Yep - provided work is started you are ok. There are thousands of projects
in progress when any change is made to building regs.

Excellent. In that case, I'm currently rewiring my house. Started 6 years
ago and expect to complete it sometime 2023.

I don't expect to ever finish mine

Just keep rolling over from one room to the next...

Darren

Query;Upvc DG and building regs tarquinlinbin UK diy 22 July 17th 04 03:20 PM
Building regs re new structures troubleinstore UK diy 14 May 27th 04 08:59 AM
Building Regulatiosn Part P MG UK diy 41 February 14th 04 10:58 AM
Conservatory and Building regs stewart dunn UK diy 1 January 31st 04 09:31 AM
New Electrical Regs - Again PoP UK diy 169 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM