troubleinstore

Default Building regs re new structures

Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.

On a building site close to where I live, I was amazed to see two
houses side by side and at the eaves, the gap between each house was
approximately 9 inches.

I would have thought this a little too close. In the summer months, if
anyone wanted to clean the gutters out, they would have to climb onto
the roof at the end and walk along the roof one foot on one building
whilst the other foot was on the other.
\ / Apologies for the drawing but it explains I think what

\ / I mean
\ /
\ /
|\ 9" /|
| |
| |

-
troubleinstore
www.tuppencechange.co.uk

G&M

"troubleinstore" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.

On a building site close to where I live, I was amazed to see two
houses side by side and at the eaves, the gap between each house was
approximately 9 inches.

Don't think the building regs worry - it's more a planning issue and as
TwoJags wants more houses per acre this sort of nonsense will happen. Of
course sensible thing would have been to fill the 9" with insulating foam
and seal at both ends but semis don't sell as well as detached, do they.

Ian Stirling

G&M wrote:

"troubleinstore" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.

On a building site close to where I live, I was amazed to see two
houses side by side and at the eaves, the gap between each house was
approximately 9 inches.

Don't think the building regs worry - it's more a planning issue and as
TwoJags wants more houses per acre this sort of nonsense will happen. Of
course sensible thing would have been to fill the 9" with insulating foam
and seal at both ends but semis don't sell as well as detached, do they.

Would there be any be reason why two neighbours couldn't do this?
Stuart

[...]

buildings can be very close together, see "Semi Detached" or "Terraced"
believe it or not people live in such structures!

The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:

G&M wrote:

"troubleinstore" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.

On a building site close to where I live, I was amazed to see two
houses side by side and at the eaves, the gap between each house was
approximately 9 inches.

Don't think the building regs worry - it's more a planning issue and as
TwoJags wants more houses per acre this sort of nonsense will happen. Of
course sensible thing would have been to fill the 9" with insulating foam
and seal at both ends but semis don't sell as well as detached, do they.

Would there be any be reason why two neighbours couldn't do this?

Curiuous thought. I believe you are allowed to build up to the party
line...so in theory filling the gap is just about that isn;t it?

BillV

"Stuart" wrote in message

"troubleinstore" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.

On a building site close to where I live, I was amazed to see two
houses side by side and at the eaves, the gap between each house was
approximately 9 inches.

I would have thought this a little too close. In the summer months, if

[SNIP]
-
troubleinstore
www.tuppencechange.co.uk

buildings can be very close together, see "Semi Detached" or "Terraced"
believe it or not people live in such structures!

.....and they continually complain about neighbour's noise, much worse in new
properties I believe.
Any gap has got to be far better than being attached to another dwelling.

N. Thornton

[...]

Its also going to make repointing impossible, so it doesnt seem like
the smartest move.

Regards, NT
G&M

"BillV" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.

buildings can be very close together, see "Semi Detached" or "Terraced"
believe it or not people live in such structures!

....and they continually complain about neighbour's noise, much worse in

new
properties I believe.

Any gap has got to be far better than being attached to another dwelling.

Not necessarily. As with heat, there are materials with better resistance
to sound transmission than open air. Why they don't use them in modern
flats and terraces is one of those great mysteries of life best left to
architects to explain.

G&M

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
[...]

I would have thought it cheaper. The walls could be single skinned and use
cheaper bricks.

BigWallop

G&M wrote:

"BillV" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.
buildings can be very close together, see "Semi Detached" or "Terraced"
believe it or not people live in such structures!
....and they continually complain about neighbour's noise, much worse in

new
properties I believe.

Any gap has got to be far better than being attached to another dwelling.

Not necessarily. As with heat, there are materials with better resistance
to sound transmission than open air. Why they don't use them in modern
flats and terraces is one of those great mysteries of life best left to
architects to explain.

Accountants.

And what do accountants use as a contraceptive ?

Their personalities. :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Hall

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:10:14 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

Accountants.

And what do accountants use as a contraceptive ?

Their personalities. :-))

What's an actuary?

Somebody who found accountancy too exciting....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
BillV

"G&M" wrote in message

"BillV" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.
buildings can be very close together, see "Semi Detached" or

"Terraced"
believe it or not people live in such structures!

....and they continually complain about neighbour's noise, much worse in

new
properties I believe.

Any gap has got to be far better than being attached to another

dwelling.

Not necessarily. As with heat, there are materials with better resistance
to sound transmission than open air.

Air is good at stopping structural borne sound, which is very difficult to
get rid of.
Given the choice who would not live in a detached property no matter how
well the sound insulation was in attched properties. Thats why there is a
jump in price from semi-detached to detached houses, all other things being
equal.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:54:36 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

"BillV" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the building regs say about the closeness of
new building to each other, i.e. houses.
buildings can be very close together, see "Semi Detached" or "Terraced"
believe it or not people live in such structures!

....and they continually complain about neighbour's noise, much worse in

new
properties I believe.

Any gap has got to be far better than being attached to another dwelling.

Not necessarily. As with heat, there are materials with better resistance
to sound transmission than open air. Why they don't use them in modern
flats and terraces is one of those great mysteries of life best left to
architects to explain.

What materials are they?