Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weed-proofing a gravel path

I have a patio area/path consisting of a couple of inches of pea gravel
on top of some weed matting.

When I first created this 20-odd years ago, I gave the soil a liberal
dose of sodium chlorate before laying the weed matting. This kept it
weed-free for quite a few years, but the matting has now deteriorated -
allowing a lot of weeds to take root.

I have removed the gravel and the weeds, and am about to take up the
matting and renew it before covering it with new gravel. I need to be
able to neutralise the soil in order to prevent any roots or seeds left
in from growing. I don't think you can buy sodium chlorate any more.
Most of the weedkillers available seem to be of the systemic type -
which kill existing weeds but don't affect the soil. But that's not what
I want!

Any bright ideas?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 27 May 11th 16 12:44 AM
Gravel weed sheet? Gareth[_5_] UK diy 15 June 12th 11 08:46 PM
Path weed prevention Terry Pinnell UK diy 26 June 16th 05 10:48 PM
Smashing up a concrete garden path John Wakefield UK diy 9 February 2nd 04 10:49 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM