Old August 30th 10, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ?

Hello,

Was just wondering about this.

It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway for
a residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel.
Never over soil directly.

Why ?

The hot, liquid, asphalt I would pretty much think makes the gravel into
one, solid, "clump" underneath (the asphalt).
So, it's hard to see that any improved drainage results.

Increased "stability" perhaps ? If so, how ?

So what does the gravel add as a benefit over just laying the asphalt
on top of well compacted soil ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old August 30th 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 11:46 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Was just wondering about this.

It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway for
a residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel.
Never over soil directly.

Why ?

The hot, liquid, asphalt I would pretty much think makes the gravel into
one, solid, "clump" underneath (the asphalt).
So, it's hard to see that any improved drainage results.

Increased "stability" perhaps ? If so, how ?

So what does the gravel add as a benefit over just laying the asphalt
on top of well compacted soil ?

Thanks,
Bob

A: asphalt pavement is not liquid
B: the gravel is for drainagek and stability.

--
Steve Barker
Old August 30th 10, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 30, 12:06*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/30/2010 11:46 AM, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Was just wondering about this.

It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway for
a residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel.
Never over soil directly.

Why ?

The hot, liquid, asphalt I would pretty much think makes the gravel into
one, solid, "clump" underneath (the asphalt).
So, it's hard to see that any improved drainage results.

Increased "stability" perhaps ? If so, how ?

So what does the gravel add as a benefit over just laying the asphalt
on top of well compacted soil ?

Thanks,
Bob

A: asphalt pavement is not liquid
B: the gravel is for drainagek and stability.

snip

Steve's right...you're confusing paving asphalt (contains a lot of
gravel aggregate) and roofing asphalt (contains minor amounts of finer
fillers). Next time you drive by a highway surfacing project note the
big dump body trucks lined up there filled with hot mix. No liquids
there.

Joe
Old August 30th 10, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote the following:
Hello,

Was just wondering about this.

It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway
for a residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel.
Never over soil directly.

Why ?

The hot, liquid, asphalt I would pretty much think makes the gravel
into one, solid, "clump" underneath (the asphalt).
So, it's hard to see that any improved drainage results.

Increased "stability" perhaps ? If so, how ?

So what does the gravel add as a benefit over just laying the asphalt
on top of well compacted soil ?

Thanks,
Bob

To prevent or minimize frost heave for one.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old August 30th 10, 07:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 1:31 PM, Joe wrote:
On Aug 30, 12:06 pm, Steve wrote:
On 8/30/2010 11:46 AM, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Was just wondering about this.

It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway for
a residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel.
Never over soil directly.

Why ?

The hot, liquid, asphalt I would pretty much think makes the gravel into
one, solid, "clump" underneath (the asphalt).
So, it's hard to see that any improved drainage results.

Increased "stability" perhaps ? If so, how ?

So what does the gravel add as a benefit over just laying the asphalt
on top of well compacted soil ?

Thanks,
Bob

A: asphalt pavement is not liquid
B: the gravel is for drainagek and stability.

snip

Steve's right...you're confusing paving asphalt (contains a lot of
gravel aggregate) and roofing asphalt (contains minor amounts of finer
fillers). Next time you drive by a highway surfacing project note the
big dump body trucks lined up there filled with hot mix. No liquids
there.

Joe

The liquid, sticky, or plastic part (asphalt cement) is only 5% of the
total mix. The rest is aggregate.

Old August 30th 10, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Was just wondering about this.

It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway for a
residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel.
Never over soil directly.

Why ?

The hot, liquid, asphalt I would pretty much think makes the gravel into
one, solid, "clump" underneath (the asphalt).
So, it's hard to see that any improved drainage results.

Increased "stability" perhaps ? If so, how ?

So what does the gravel add as a benefit over just laying the asphalt
on top of well compacted soil ?

Thanks,
Bob

The folk responding about asphalt are right, so I won't duplicate their
effort. However, you might also be recalling the old Macadam road technique
with the modern version. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadam

In my home town, many of the streets were Macadam and they did very well.
Occasionally, the street department would employ a tractor with wheel disk
to turn up the streets, and then they'd be rolled smooth, with a thick layer
of asphalt then applied. The final touch was a new coating of pea gravel to
reduce tar pick-up by car tires. The streets held up beautifully and the
technique most likely would be considered, "Green," in today's world.

Micajah

Old August 31st 10, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in
:

Steve's right...you're confusing paving asphalt (contains a lot of
gravel aggregate) and roofing asphalt (contains minor amounts of finer
fillers). Next time you drive by a highway surfacing project note the
big dump body trucks lined up there filled with hot mix. No liquids
there.

Then there's "hardtop", which is common in my area on lightly-loaded roads:
You lay down the usual packed-aggregate roadbed, then spray really runny
tar on the surface. Then you spread pea-gravel on top of that, and just let
passing traffic roll it in the rest of the way. Excess gravel gets pushed
off to the shoulder over time. It's fairly durable if you keep heavy trucks
off of it.

--
Tegger
Old August 31st 10, 05:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 1:56 PM, Micajah wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Where is your hometown? I noticed you used the word "Macadam", that is
a rare word in the US. Named for a man named John McAdam. The first to
use stone and roll it to lock the stones together to make better roads.
Later he added oil/tar on top to help it last through heavy rains.
That is were the word "Tarmac" became popular and is still used at
airports. I come from a part of PA, USA where the outdated word
"Macadam" was still used to describe asphalt/blacktop. If I use the
word today not many people will know what it means.
Old August 31st 10, 06:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

The hometown is a small farming community in central MO, but dates back well
before the War of Northern Aggression. The streets there are nowadays a
typical mixed bag of asphalt, concrete and Macadam, but as far as I know,
the Macadam ones are still maintained by the occasional wheel disking,
rolling, new tar and a coat of pea gravel. FWIW, most of the older curbs
are cut granite.

Micajah

Old August 31st 10, 06:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
Joe wrote in
:

Steve's right...you're confusing paving asphalt (contains a lot of
gravel aggregate) and roofing asphalt (contains minor amounts of finer
fillers). Next time you drive by a highway surfacing project note the
big dump body trucks lined up there filled with hot mix. No liquids
there.

Then there's "hardtop", which is common in my area on lightly-loaded
roads:
You lay down the usual packed-aggregate roadbed, then spray really runny
tar on the surface. Then you spread pea-gravel on top of that, and just
let
passing traffic roll it in the rest of the way. Excess gravel gets pushed
off to the shoulder over time. It's fairly durable if you keep heavy
trucks
off of it.

This is the classic Macadam-type of paving.

Micajah