HonkingGoose

Default Re-Roofing a Tar & Gravel roof with Asphalt Shingles

I need to re-roof our house it currently has a Tar & Gravel roof on it.
The pitch is good for shingles.

Do I have to remove all the T&G roof prior to putting on the shingles
or can I remove all the loose gravel and then apply the new shingles?

I'm doing this myself and just thought it would protect the roof while
I slowly get it all shingled.

DanG

It is an unusual house. Shingles generally require a minimum of 3
in 12 pitch. Hot tar can be purchased as steep asphalt and can be
applied to a maximum of 3 in 12. There is a special steep which
can go to 6 in 12.

Leaving the existing tar roof leaves the weight on the roof. You
will be adding 235 lbs per square or more. If the framing can
take it, go for it. If the roof leaks now, it serves little
function.

The major problem you will have is removing the gravel well enough
to get a smooth or semi smooth surface to begin the shingle work.
There will probably be quite a bed of stone buried in the asphalt.
One tool that can help is a power roof spudder, a gas engine
spinning chains at the roof to break out the gravel. They work
much better when the roof is cold. Here is an example:
http://www.constructioncomplete.com/...gMachines.html

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"HonkingGoose" wrote in message
ps.com...
I need to re-roof our house it currently has a Tar & Gravel roof
on it.
The pitch is good for shingles.

Do I have to remove all the T&G roof prior to putting on the
shingles
or can I remove all the loose gravel and then apply the new
shingles?

I'm doing this myself and just thought it would protect the roof
while
I slowly get it all shingled.

HonkingGoose

The pitch of 95% of the roof is 3/12 with one small area of almost flat
roof (small porch/shed roof). I'm now thinking of stripping the T&G
off and putting 1/4" Densdeck on to make the surface smooth on all the
3/12 area prior to the asphalt shingles. Then putting Metacrylics roof
system on the nearly flat area. I don't see how I could use that
machine on a 3/12 roof pitch for removing the old T&G roofing? So, am I
left with using a roofing shovel and such to remove the old T&G? Good
news is the weather has turned colder so it should be brittle.

Our 35 year old pitch and gravel roof. Again. Terry Home Repair 2 October 9th 05 06:30 AM
Roof Slope & Asphalt Shingles CWLee Home Repair 5 May 12th 05 11:08 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM