Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shaver Socket in Bathroom

My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so a
pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are any
alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so a
pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are any
alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Do you have access to somewhere for a separate transformer?

If so, a quick google brought up http://www.taps4less.com/PP/V-1010.html
and I am sure that there will be many others.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so
a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are
any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Cordless razor?

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so
a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are
any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Cordless razor?

I need to charge it - and the toothbrushes!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote in
:

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box
so a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there
are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Do you have access to somewhere for a separate transformer?

If so, a quick google brought up
http://www.taps4less.com/PP/V-1010.html and I am sure that there will
be many others.

SteveW

Interesting - I presume the transformer would need a switch - or does the
flap operate a switch?

I took a look today - the wiring is not very convenient - 2 black and 2
reds are looped in and the drop is under the sloping hip of the roof. Was
hoping to extract the cables and put them into a JB and then take a new
feed to the Razor Point.

Next time in the loft I will see if I can intercept the 4 cables somewhere
more workabls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 14:01:31 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so a
pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

Can you use a combination of a shallower box and a surface extender?

https://cpc.farnell.com/bg/818/pattr...cer/dp/PL08925

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider...er-white/2105j

There is also the MK K700RPWHI shaver socket, without transformer, if you can fit a socket outside the bathroom or a transformer remotely.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so
a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are
any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Cordless razor?

I need to charge it - and the toothbrushes!

I do too - but charge them in the airing cupboard.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so a
pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are any
alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

You could use a less deep 35mm box, but then augment it with a face
plate spacer to give you some extra working depth (at the expense of
another 10mm or so of front projection:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG818.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so a
pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are any
alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Paramount walls? ie egg box?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 17:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
Steve Walker wrote in
:

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box
so a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there
are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Do you have access to somewhere for a separate transformer?

If so, a quick google brought up
http://www.taps4less.com/PP/V-1010.html and I am sure that there will
be many others.

SteveW

Interesting - I presume the transformer would need a switch - or does the
flap operate a switch?

I don't know. It could be that the trnasformer is simply continuously rated.

I took a look today - the wiring is not very convenient - 2 black and 2
reds are looped in and the drop is under the sloping hip of the roof. Was
hoping to extract the cables and put them into a JB and then take a new
feed to the Razor Point.

Next time in the loft I will see if I can intercept the 4 cables somewhere
more workabls

It's nver easy is it?

I've put a shaver socket in. A very easy job, as I could surface mount
with a pattress box, beneath the bathroom cabinet, so its not very
visible. The cable goes stright out of the back, through the wall of a
built-in cupboard, up inside and through the suspended ceiling. There is
even a small trapdoor there for me to stand in the cupboard with my head
and hands through it and all the wiring for the lights and fan are
there. The only problem is that I have to empty the cupboard and remove
all the shelves one by one to get in and access the trapdoor - and as I
have other things going on, I'm waiting for the urge to get it done to
hit me!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in news:48b612c0-ae54-45e8-b23d-
:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-

Sorry - Pattress was the wrong term - Surface Extender is what it has.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote in
:

[...]

Cupboard - now there is an idea - thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote in
:

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box
so a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there
are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Paramount walls? ie egg box?

No - a rather poor version - just plasterboard sandwich with scraps as the
filler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 23:30:44 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Paramount walls? ie egg box?

No - a rather poor version - just plasterboard sandwich with scraps as the
filler.

I have a brick version of that. My lounge socket disappeared into the kitchen.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Paramount walls? ie egg box?

This house has paramount walls, I managed to install a Mira built-in
shower valve (manual says 58mm depth) so a shaver socket shouldn't be a
problem, what does it need, a 45mm backbox?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 June 2019 23:30:44 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Paramount walls? ie egg box?

No - a rather poor version - just plasterboard sandwich with scraps as
the filler.

I have a brick version of that. My lounge socket disappeared into the
kitchen.

A great mnay years ago, by BiL was fitting a cooker unit in the party wall
to next door. Suddenly the brick he was chiselling shot away and the
neighbours looked through the hole and said "Will you take your brick out
of our bath"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in news:glukabF1m5pU1
@mid.individual.net:

ARW wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Paramount walls? ie egg box?

This house has paramount walls, I managed to install a Mira built-in
shower valve (manual says 58mm depth) so a shaver socket shouldn't be a
problem, what does it need, a 45mm backbox?

Alas my walls are not Paramount walls - they are thinner . Merely
plasterboard eash face with a few scraps dibbed and dabbed in between. I
watched them being built - A batten on the ceiling and floor - nail on a
panel - slap on some scraps and do the same for the other side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 June 2019 23:30:44 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Paramount walls? ie egg box?
No - a rather poor version - just plasterboard sandwich with scraps as
the filler.

I have a brick version of that. My lounge socket disappeared into the
kitchen.

A great mnay years ago, by BiL was fitting a cooker unit in the party wall
to next door. Suddenly the brick he was chiselling shot away and the
neighbours looked through the hole and said "Will you take your brick out
of our bath"

When my next door neighbour (several versions removed) was having central
heating fitted, the plumber knocked a hole through the party wall in the
cellar. Presumably to allow long lengths of pipe to then be cut to size
more easily. At that end of the cellar, you can only crawl, not stand. And
they'd put the boiler in the ouside loo - after removing the pan and
cistern.

And that's how I came to have a rat or two. And smells from the drains.

On finding the hole and bricking it up, I could see, through the wall, a
couple of the new pipes leaking nicely. ;-)

They got another firm in to sort things out - including stopping vermin
access to the cellars via their new patio doors.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Cutting into the brickwork to fit a socket in my kitchen pushed a brick
through - and half-way out of the freshly decorated living-room wall.

Just fit a socket on the other side as well then. Saves on wiring too. ;-)

--
*I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2019 23:05, Steve Walker wrote:
On 07/06/2019 08:59, wrote:
On Thursday, 6 June 2019 23:30:44 UTC+1, DerbyBornÂ* wrote:
Paramount walls? ie egg box?
No - a rather poor version - just plasterboard sandwich with scraps
as the
filler.

I have a brick version of that. My lounge socket disappeared into the
kitchen.

Cutting into the brickwork to fit a socket in my kitchen pushed a brick
through - and half-way out of the freshly decorated living-room wall.

A mate of mine, was refitting his kitchen and decided that bit of
protruding stonework sticking out of the wall was in the way and needed
to go. So he started prising it out, but was getting a bit concerned
when it turned out to be much deeper than he anticipated.

Eventually, with a strong tug it all comes free. To reveal a hole right
through the wall, and view of his next door neighbour sat at his kitchen
table, puffing on his pipe, and staring at his slowly disappearing wall.
After a moments consideration, he withdraws the pipe, and says is a rich
west country accent, "Morning David, know's what you are doing does you?".

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Cutting into the brickwork to fit a socket in my kitchen pushed a brick
through - and half-way out of the freshly decorated living-room wall.

Just fit a socket on the other side as well then. Saves on wiring too. ;-)

I have done that with room thermostats, feeding both cables down the
same conduit to avoid redecorating one of the rooms. Unfortunately there
were two problems with that idea in this case:

1) the kitchen and living room are on separate rings

2) the kitchen one was above worktop height and the living room one
would have looked very odd just above the top of the settee

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-06-08, Steve Walker wrote:

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Cutting into the brickwork to fit a socket in my kitchen pushed a brick
through - and half-way out of the freshly decorated living-room wall.

Just fit a socket on the other side as well then. Saves on wiring too. ;-)

I have done that with room thermostats, feeding both cables down the
same conduit to avoid redecorating one of the rooms. Unfortunately there
were two problems with that idea in this case:

1) the kitchen and living room are on separate rings

2) the kitchen one was above worktop height and the living room one
would have looked very odd just above the top of the settee

That could be convenient for charging your phone/tablet & using it at
the same time, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 June 2019 10:15:07 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
That could be convenient for charging your phone/tablet & using it at
the same time, though.

And if your phone is tethered to a USB charging socket in the bathroom it might stop it dropping into the WC.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
That too, although I had in mind the hypothetical one over Steve's
sofa.

Thought it was Adam posting for a minute. ;-)

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*