Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Shaver Socket in Bathroom

Steve Walker wrote in
:

On 06/06/2019 17:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
Steve Walker wrote in
:

On 06/06/2019 14:01, DerbyBorn wrote:
My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough
box so a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there
are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Do you have access to somewhere for a separate transformer?

If so, a quick google brought up
http://www.taps4less.com/PP/V-1010.html and I am sure that there
will be many others.

SteveW

Interesting - I presume the transformer would need a switch - or does
the flap operate a switch?

I don't know. It could be that the trnasformer is simply continuously
rated.

I took a look today - the wiring is not very convenient - 2 black and
2 reds are looped in and the drop is under the sloping hip of the
roof. Was hoping to extract the cables and put them into a JB and
then take a new feed to the Razor Point.

Next time in the loft I will see if I can intercept the 4 cables
somewhere more workabls

It's nver easy is it?

I've put a shaver socket in. A very easy job, as I could surface mount
with a pattress box, beneath the bathroom cabinet, so its not very
visible. The cable goes stright out of the back, through the wall of a
built-in cupboard, up inside and through the suspended ceiling. There
is even a small trapdoor there for me to stand in the cupboard with my
head and hands through it and all the wiring for the lights and fan
are there. The only problem is that I have to empty the cupboard and
remove all the shelves one by one to get in and access the trapdoor -
and as I have other things going on, I'm waiting for the urge to get
it done to hit me!

SteveW

Cupboard - now there is an idea - thanks