Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom shaver socket

Rather than install a standard large shaver socket in the tiled wall
my idea is to put a single switched outlet inside a cupboard in zone 3
of the bathroom. I would connect my contactless shaver charger to
this.

As far as I can see this does not fall foul of the regs - am I
correct?
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2012 18:39, rbel wrote:

Rather than install a standard large shaver socket in the tiled wall
my idea is to put a single switched outlet inside a cupboard in zone 3
of the bathroom. I would connect my contactless shaver charger to
this.

Zone three no longer exists - it was removed with the introduction of
the 17th edition. Sockets are permitted in bathrooms now so long as they
are 3m from the end of zone 2 (so only large bathrooms need apply!)

As far as I can see this does not fall foul of the regs - am I
correct?

depends on how far away the cupboard is, and whether you need a tool to
open in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:39:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/07/2012 18:39, rbel wrote:

Rather than install a standard large shaver socket in the tiled wall
my idea is to put a single switched outlet inside a cupboard in zone 3
of the bathroom. I would connect my contactless shaver charger to
this.

Zone three no longer exists - it was removed with the introduction of
the 17th edition. Sockets are permitted in bathrooms now so long as they
are 3m from the end of zone 2 (so only large bathrooms need apply!)

As far as I can see this does not fall foul of the regs - am I
correct?

depends on how far away the cupboard is, and whether you need a tool to
open in.

The cupboard is part of a run of fitted furniture (tool not required
to open it) and will be within 3 metres of the edge of the bath,
however, I had thought of using a switched connection unit rather than
a socket and hardwiring the contactless shaver charger to it.

This would not be new wiring, just picking up that to the existing,
now redundant, shavolite.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2012 18:39, rbel wrote:

[...]

Yup hard wired to a FCU is fine...

(although as Brian said, its your place, and you are not proposing
anything inherently stupid, so just do what is sensible)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2012 18:39, rbel wrote:

[...]

I think in general that's good advice too - just with the caveat that if
you are thinking of selling the property any time, any visible
'non-standard' electrical wiring is likely to cause a surveyor to flag
up a "DIY electrics alert" which could end up being a real pain.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2012 18:39, rbel wrote:

[...]

Why not just put a shaver socket in the cupboard?

--
Adam

Buzzing Shaver Socket Endulini UK diy 6 October 15th 07 08:16 PM
Where is a a shaver socket powered from? Chris Styles UK diy 7 October 25th 06 11:55 PM
Shaver socket question Fred UK diy 8 February 26th 05 02:41 PM
Left Handed Shaver Socket on Bathroom Lights Simon Pawson UK diy 3 February 23rd 05 06:00 PM
buzzing shaver socket mike UK diy 2 December 31st 04 02:54 PM