mike

Default buzzing shaver socket

we have a shaver socket in the en-suite. It is only being used to charge
swmbo's electric toothbrush.

As the brush is being charged, buzzing which gets louder over time, can be
heard from the socket, and it is definitely the socket, not the brush.

My plan would be either (a) go to the nearest shed and get a replacement
socket or (b) - ask the wise magi of uk.d-i-y if there is anything else I
should check first ?

thanks

Rick Dipper

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:18:04 -0000, "mike" wrote:

we have a shaver socket in the en-suite. It is only being used to charge
swmbo's electric toothbrush.

As the brush is being charged, buzzing which gets louder over time, can be
heard from the socket, and it is definitely the socket, not the brush.

My plan would be either (a) go to the nearest shed and get a replacement
socket or (b) - ask the wise magi of uk.d-i-y if there is anything else I
should check first ?

thanks

It can happen that the transformers buzz, sometimes this is due to the
core moving, and you can use superglue to fix it solid, and sometimes
it isn't, and some transformers don't have a 2 part core ...........

Rick

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mike wrote:
we have a shaver socket in the en-suite. It is only being used to charge
swmbo's electric toothbrush.

As the brush is being charged, buzzing which gets louder over time, can
be heard from the socket, and it is definitely the socket, not the brush.

My plan would be either (a) go to the nearest shed and get a replacement
socket or (b) - ask the wise magi of uk.d-i-y if there is anything else I
should check first ?

Could well be the toothbrush charger is a SMPS, and presents a 'spikey'
load to the transformer. Don't worry about it. It's a bit like a dimmer
buzzing in principle. Most do.

If the noise is actually a problem, I think fitting a mains suppression
capacitor across the transformer might cure it.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.