Jason Arthurs

Default Moving BT master socket, is this frowned upon?

My server currently runs in the loft and I have a somewhat threadbare
telephone extension lead trailing up the stairs and through the loft
hatch which supplies my ADSL connection.

As our house is supplied via telegraph pole the main pair meets the
house at roof level and then comes down the front of the house before
coming in alongside the front door. I was wondering about merely
disconnecting the master socket and pulling the external cable back
through the wall before running it into the loft under the barge
boards. I can then run a slave socket back to the location of the
original socket by the front door.

It is frowned upon to relocate the master socket? I ask this as it
will of course be in the loft rather than merely moving it into a
different room.

Also does anyone know of a supplier of exterior grade telephone cable
(preferably black) that I can use to run the new slave socket back
down to old master socket location.

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
Set Square

Jason Arthurs wrote:

[...]

AIUI, it's illegal to mess with anything on BT's side of the master socket.
You'd probably get away with moving it locally - but into the loft . . .

If you ever have to call BT out to deal with a fault, they will need to get
at the master socket - since this is where their responsibility ends and
yours begins. They won't be best pleased at having to get into the loft -
and it will be pretty obvious that you have moved it!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Martin

"Set Square" wrote in message
Jason Arthurs wrote:

[...]

I have exactly the same situation. If the owner of the house is not allow
to relocate the socket their self is there a procedure whereby you can
request (for a fee) that BT relocate the socket for you. Again I would like
it in the loft for the ADSL router.

Regards,
Martin.

Richard

"Jason Arthurs" wrote in message
[...]

You are not supposed to move the master socket yourself. BT will do it for a
fee.
What you are proposing makes good sense. However as a DIY job " Rules is
Rules" Or so the saying goes.

Richard.

Richard

"Richard" wrote in message
.

You are not supposed to move the master socket yourself. BT will do it for

fee.
What you are proposing makes good sense. However as a DIY job " Rules is
Rules" Or so the saying goes.

Richard.

If you have your repositioned master box fitted with a filter faceplate and
you take your ADSL connection from there you will not need any more filters
for any other phone equipment connected to the filtered output from the box.

Richard

Harry Bloomfield

On 19/02/2004 Jason Arthurs opined:-
It is frowned upon to relocate the master socket? I ask this as it
will of course be in the loft rather than merely moving it into a
different room.

Strictly speaking you are not allowed to interfere with the master
socket or the wiring linking that to the pole. In practise, if you make
a reasonably competant job of it, then the BT engineer is very unlikely
to complain.

I moved our master socket into the loft, in fact the BT engineer
actually assisted me to do this when they were installing new cables
from the pole. He pushed the cable in from the outside, I pulled it
through and connected it up to a new master while he waited.

If you are certain you know what you are doing and feel absolutely
confident, then get on with it.... Just keep the phone cables well away
from any mains wiring.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Dave Stanton

Also does anyone know of a supplier of exterior grade telephone cable
(preferably black) that I can use to run the new slave socket back down to
old master socket location.

Regards,
Jason.

Maplins used to do it. Nice to see someone using black cable outside
instead of all that white stuff you see everywhere.

Dave

Lurch

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:03:42 +0000, Jason Arthurs
wrote:

[...]

It's not strictly allowed, but it's been known to be done.
If you're running cables into the loft then back down to where the
socket is now, why not just run a extension from the master into the
loft, following the route from the master up to roof so there are no
extra cable runs. Or am I missing something?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
PoP

wrote:

My server currently runs in the loft and I have a somewhat threadbare
telephone extension lead trailing up the stairs and through the loft
hatch which supplies my ADSL connection.

I am curious!

I would have thought that running any sort of equipment in the loft is
asking for trouble. Reason being that the temperature up there can go
outside the specs of the equipment. It gets damned cold up there in
winter and sweating hot in the summer.

Am I just being unrealistic or could this be a real problem?

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:47:34 +0000, Martin wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Jason Arthurs wrote:

[...]

Why not run a slave extension into the loft from the existing without
moving the master. I doubt whther it would make any noticeable difference
to the bandwidth you get.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Martin

wrote:

[...]

..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

As the cable is coming from a telegraph pole and therefore arrives at roof
level is looks unsightly running down the wall and worst of all wrapping
around the brickwork at the front door.

Martin.

Lurch

It's not strictly allowed, but it's been known to be done.
If you're running cables into the loft then back down to where the
socket is now, why not just run a extension from the master into the
loft, following the route from the master up to roof so there are no
extra cable runs. Or am I missing something?
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

As the cable is coming from a telegraph pole and therefore arrives at roof
level is looks unsightly running down the wall and worst of all wrapping
around the brickwork at the front door.

Typical BT job then! How about if you just tidied up the existing
cabling.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:47:34 -0000, Martin wrote:

I have exactly the same situation. If the owner of the house is not
allow to relocate the socket their self is there a procedure whereby
you can request (for a fee) that BT relocate the socket for you.

Yes, ring 'em up and ask. The price is in the online BT Price List
(somewhere). Moving socket at customer request OWTHE.

Again I would like it in the loft for the ADSL router.

H&S rules means that BT engineers should not go into lofts. They are
rather hazardous places, not to mention feet through ceilings etc...

However if access is via a proper loft ladder through a decent sized
hatch (2 to 3' min) into a roof space that is well lit and the floor
is securely boarded over for all of the access a BT chap needs and the
socket not tucked right down in the eaves then you can probably bribe
any engineer that visits with cups of tea and chocolate biscuits...

Asking an engineer to squeeze through a tiny trap perched on the top
of a rickity step ladder with a stair well to one side, cross the roof
space by treading only on ceiling joists covered by insulation to then
lie flat out on said insulation to reach the socket at arms length
aided only by a AA maglight just ain't going to happen.

You could of course just put the master socket in the corner of a
bedroom. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Hall

wrote:

My server currently runs in the loft and I have a somewhat threadbare
telephone extension lead trailing up the stairs and through the loft
hatch which supplies my ADSL connection.

I am curious!

I would have thought that running any sort of equipment in the loft is
asking for trouble. Reason being that the temperature up there can go
outside the specs of the equipment. It gets damned cold up there in
winter and sweating hot in the summer.

Am I just being unrealistic or could this be a real problem?

If you don't take any steps to control the temperature then it could
be.

I dealt with it by making an insulated cabinet and arranging two fans
with ducting in and out from the outside and inside the house. The
fan speeds are controlled by a temperature sensor and motor
controller, and there are servo controlled dampers in the ducting.

During the winter months, air is brought in from and out to the house
so that heat produced by the electronics ends up in the house.
The fans run fairly slowly and the cabinet is maintained pretty well
at about 23 degrees.

During the summer, air is taken in from and delivered back outside.
The fans are still effective even in hot weather and last summer the
cabinet only ran a couple of degrees above the outside temperature
during the hot period, which was OK. Most of the time it was running
at the 23-25 range.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
N. Thornton

Harry Bloomfield wrote in message o.uk...
[...]

The master socket contains a sense resistor, and the lines are
automatically monitored. If you remove the master socket a fault
condition will therefore be detected.

Regards, NT

"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

In my house, BT connected the wires between their master socket and the
cable master socket and all the other cable sockets around the house and
then ripped out the incoming cable connection.

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Liquorice wrote:

H&S rules means that BT engineers should not go into lofts. They are
rather hazardous places, not to mention feet through ceilings etc...

However if access is via a proper loft ladder through a decent sized
hatch (2 to 3' min) into a roof space that is well lit and the floor
is securely boarded over for all of the access a BT chap needs and the
socket not tucked right down in the eaves then you can probably bribe
any engineer that visits with cups of tea and chocolate biscuits...

Exactly my experience when getting an ISDN line put in at my previous
house: it made most sense to run through the loft close to where the
existing cable from the pole attached to the property, running from front
to back of house over to just above the corner of the bedroom where I
wanted the socket. So the day before the BT bod came, I went up a ladder
and put in a draw wire through a little hole in the soffit/eaves/whatever-
you-call-that-bit, and another from bedroom to loft. The loft had boarded
walkways and light. When the BT engineer came, I stared with the obligatory
tea & biscuits, then showed him the prepared route, and he was a very happy
bunny to have had the route worked out, draw wires prepared, and loft
timbers to drive cable clips into at speed rather than ever-so-careful
surface-running around doorframes and the like in the way they so often end
up doing. He put in the transition box from external-black to internal-white
at a handy point in the loft, and put the ISDN termination box at the
requested spot in the bedroom, with the BT cable coming down a handy-dandy
bit of trunking I'd provided. Job done to both parties' satisfaction...

Cheers, Stefek
Alistair Riddell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, N. Thornton wrote:

The master socket contains a sense resistor, and the lines are
automatically monitored. If you remove the master socket a fault
condition will therefore be detected.

Only when they run the nightly diagnostic routines on the exchange.

In any case, I have had lines with no master socket or terminating
apparatus connected for several years without BT saying anything. I'm sure
they were glad that some fool was paying the line rental charge for a line
that went no further than the DP in the basement.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us
Dave Liquorice

On 19 Feb 2004 15:53:17 -0800, N. Thornton wrote:

The master socket contains a sense resistor, and the lines are
automatically monitored. If you remove the master socket a fault
condition will therefore be detected.

Always assuming that your line is on an automatic tester, not all are,
and that the tester just happens to test your line as it's
disconnected from the master socket. Even then it's not likely to
result in more than a few bytes of storage used in the testers log
file.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Nick Pitfield

Jason Arthurs wrote in
:

Also does anyone know of a supplier of exterior grade telephone cable
(preferably black) that I can use to run the new slave socket back
down to old master socket location.

I bought mine from J H Hardy of Birmingham - 0121-7848478. Also online at
http://www.jwhardy.com/pages/pl_telephone.html. You want CW1308 spec cable
in black.
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield )

N. Thornton

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On 19 Feb 2004 15:53:17 -0800, N. Thornton wrote:

The master socket contains a sense resistor, and the lines are
automatically monitored. If you remove the master socket a fault
condition will therefore be detected.

Always assuming that your line is on an automatic tester, not all are,
and that the tester just happens to test your line as it's
disconnected from the master socket. Even then it's not likely to
result in more than a few bytes of storage used in the testers log
file.

Here they sent an 'engineer' round when the master socket went o/c. I
didnt even know there was a problem. I think it was genuine as they
tested the sockets and replaced one.

Regards, NT
Dave Liquorice

On 22 Feb 2004 03:06:21 -0800, N. Thornton wrote:

Here they sent an 'engineer' round when the master socket went o/c.
I didnt even know there was a problem. I think it was genuine as
they tested the sockets and replaced one.

Yes automatic testers exist but they generally only test once every
24hrs. It wouldn't make economic sense to send an engineer out to a
single report of a fault either, a line that repeatedly tests faulty
is another matter.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Stephen Gilkes

My 2 BT lines current end at a master socket in the back bedroom. I was
going to call BT and ask them to move the master sockets out to my shed
(which is being converted into an office).

But having thought about it, perhaps its best just to run extensions to the
shed.

Will this affect my ADSL speed? As the OP asked, where can I get the
exterior black BT cable to run out to the shed?

[...]

Lurch

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:27:36 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

My 2 BT lines current end at a master socket in the back bedroom. I was
going to call BT and ask them to move the master sockets out to my shed
(which is being converted into an office).

But having thought about it, perhaps its best just to run extensions to the
shed.

It'd be cheaper if nothing else.

Will this affect my ADSL speed? As the OP asked, where can I get the
exterior black BT cable to run out to the shed?

Have a look here.

http://www.jwhardy.co.uk/shop/pages/pl_telephone.html

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Pete C

wrote:

Will this affect my ADSL speed? As the OP asked, where can I get the
exterior black BT cable to run out to the shed?

Perhaps a nearby BT van could provide an 'offcut' in return for some
beer money etc.

cheers,
Pete.

The Natural Philosopher

Stephen Gilkes wrote:

My 2 BT lines current end at a master socket in the back bedroom. I was
going to call BT and ask them to move the master sockets out to my shed
(which is being converted into an office).

But having thought about it, perhaps its best just to run extensions to the
shed.

Will this affect my ADSL speed? As the OP asked, where can I get the
exterior black BT cable to run out to the shed?

Nothing is critical. BT black cable is onl useful in that it has a steel
wire running through it to help it suspend over long runs.

CAT 5 is electrically perfectly good enough.

BT engineers are all subcontarcat anyway, and no one really gives a toss
provided they have access to a master socket somewhere.

In my new house we simply picked up the old cable that had been
re-reigged into the portakabin, slung it up a ladder, stuffed it through
the eaves, and connected it via a chocolate block to some cat 5, and ran
that to the master socket. Firuntaley I still had one that says 'BT
digital access' on it.

ISDN works fine.

Stephen Gilkes

If I'm just going to run an extension from the master sockets ( I have 2
lines). Can I access the master sockets or do i have to use an extension
cable that pulgs in to the front of the master socket. Someone told me that
I cant use the black external cable anyway as it is missing a wire.

"Stephen Gilkes" wrote in message
[...]

Lurch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:59:36 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

If I'm just going to run an extension from the master sockets ( I have 2
lines). Can I access the master sockets or do i have to use an extension
cable that pulgs in to the front of the master socket.

You undo the two screws in the front of the master socket and the
bottom half of the faceplate will pull away. On the rear of this are
the required terminals for connecting to extension wiring.

Someone told me that
I cant use the black external cable anyway as it is missing a wire.

Not true, you need 3 wires per line, so if you are running two lines
on the extension cabling you need 3 pair cable, (6 wires). You can get
cable in different cores, maybe someone told you of his experience
assuming it was a standard cable that they had. For reference
purposes, I have just fitted some 50pair cable for 48 digital
extensions, that may be a little ott for your needs but you can go as
large as you like.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:18:19 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

Which leads me onto... where can I get black 3 pair cable?

JW Hardy only has 2 pair in the telephone section.

There are a few options here, give them a call to check on the exact
match as they don't appear to list it.

http://www.somtech.co.uk/voice_int-ext_cable.htm

Or Maplin list PB78K, but I think that's internal. I usually use
internal grade cable, I haven't had any problems yet.

Put 'CW1308 external 3 pair' into www.google.co.uk and see what you
come up with.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Stephen Gilkes

The socket is not quite as you say it should be but I think the procedure is
the same.

I have put a couple of pics of the socket on the web he

http://www.gilkesy.co.uk/btsocket

wrote:

[...]

Lurch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:37:36 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

The socket is not quite as you say it should be but I think the procedure is
the same.

I have put a couple of pics of the socket on the web he

http://www.gilkesy.co.uk/btsocket

In that case then, as you say, a similar procedure. Just insert the
extension wiring into the terminals you have there, 2,3&5 are the ones
you need to use.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Set Square

Lurch wrote:

Someone told me that
I cant use the black external cable anyway as it is missing a wire.

Not true, you need 3 wires per line, so if you are running two lines
on the extension cabling you need 3 pair cable, (6 wires).
SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

NOT a good idea to share one twisted pair between the bell circuits of two
separate lines - which is what you're suggesting! This is likely to result
in cross-talk - and the other bells ringing when they ain't supposed to! Far
better to use 4-pair cable, and to ignore the redundant half of each pair
used for the bell (pin 3).

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lurch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:49:47 -0000, "Set Square"

Lurch wrote:

Someone told me that
I cant use the black external cable anyway as it is missing a wire.

Not true, you need 3 wires per line, so if you are running two lines
on the extension cabling you need 3 pair cable, (6 wires).
SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

NOT a good idea to share one twisted pair between the bell circuits of two
separate lines - which is what you're suggesting! This is likely to result
in cross-talk - and the other bells ringing when they ain't supposed to! Far
better to use 4-pair cable, and to ignore the redundant half of each pair
used for the bell (pin 3).

Not really. I've wired up multipair cables to analogue and digital
extensions between patch panels and PBX's, never had that problem.
Can't say I've seen it in smaller domestic situations either.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Zymurgy

Andy Hall wrote
PoP wrote:
Jason Arthurs wrote:

My server currently runs in the loft

I am curious!

I would have thought that running any sort of equipment in the loft is
asking for trouble. Reason being that the temperature up there can go
outside the specs of the equipment. It gets damned cold up there in
winter and sweating hot in the summer.

If you don't take any steps to control the temperature then it could be.

Methinks you worry too much.

Any decent kit (i.e something that's not been cobbled up in a 3rd
party case) has a wide operating temperature, and it is the rate of
change of the ambient temperature that causes an issue, not the
actual maximum or minimum temperatures.

My firewall (Compaq Pentium 2) is in the loft with no special
insulation around it, and the projected low for tonight is -4.

I'm not worried about it. It will just get extra cooling this evening
;-)

I have had computer room air conditioning failures causing a very
steep step change in temperature (up to ~32 degrees C in 1 case) I had
3 disk failures out of an installed base of ~600 and 1 machine auto
shut down due to overtemperature out of 200 (and this was found to be
too close to adjacent kit).

Similarly I have seen machines operate at either end of their
envelopes [1] without incident.

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] Spec sheets on mine say:
5 to 35 C Operating
-20 to +60 Non Operating
Andy Hall

[...]

I don't disagree that rate of change can have a big effect, although
high continuous temperatures do affect the failure rate of electronics
in general. For example, it is common to do accelerated tests at high
temperatures to check for failure in new designs.

The low end generally doesn't matter unless the air is very damp
because the equipment itself will generate enough warmth to keep it
dry.

High end can be a problem because 35 or 40 degrees max operating
ambient is very typical for IT equipment. In a loft in the summer,
even without the extremes of last summer, that can be reached for a
few hours in the early afternoon.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Lurch
wrote:

Not true, you need 3 wires per line, so if you are running two lines
on the extension cabling you need 3 pair cable, (6 wires).

If you don't mind crosstalk from the ring signal? I did that in the office
as a quick temporary job. The cable is about 5m long and the crosstalk when
the other line rings is quite loud.

Stephen Gilkes

One of the 2 lines that I am extending will be for my ADSL access.

Will having the filter connected to the extension socket affect my ADSL
connection?