Andrew Gabriel

Default More power from shaver socket wanted

In article ,
"Anthony R. Gold" writes:
I recently bought a Water Pik (a water jet equivalent of dental floss) but
its power needs appear to exceed that available from a standard UK shaver
outlet. The device is rated at 25VA and it appears that the standard UK
shaver outlet is rated at just 20VA. Anyway I get around just 45 seconds
of use before the thermal cut-out turns the socket off for a few minutes.

The best and simplest solution would be to find a vendor who sells higher
rated kit (i.e. integrated shaver transformer socket sets) but I haven't
yet found that.

I think the British Standard limits them to 20W

Another solution is to just buy a transformer which meets the spirit of
the regulations (double-wound isolating transformer tested to 500V a.c.
rms for one minute between windings) but specified to say 50VA and then
hook it to suitable sockets, but I don't want to ask an electrician to do
anything illegal and nor do I wish to put my home out of compliance with
any IEE wiring or Heath and Safety regulations.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Where did you get it from?
Sounds like it wasn't designed for use in a UK bathroom.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Roger Mills

Anthony R. Gold wrote in message
[...]

Tony

Do it over the kitchen sink, and plug it into a 13A socket with a suitable
adapter.

Roger

Tony Hayes

Roger Mills wrote:

Do it over the kitchen sink, and plug it into a 13A socket with a suitable
adapter.

Roger

Bloody hell!!

tim

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message ...

I think the British Standard limits them to 20W

It probably does, but it's a BS EN so this is presumably harmonised
throughout the EC.

really, must be just the UK that enforces it then?

IME of European bathrooms they just have normal sockets in them.
Can't say that I think that the UK rules are wrong, but it is annoying
that no other courtry thinks that this is a problem?

Tim

Actually, I'm surprised that a 20VA unit is cutting out so quickly at 25VA.
I'd expect it to stand that sort of overload for short periods with no great
problem. Is the 25VA measured, or based on a rating plate? Maybe it's
faulty and drawing more current than expected. Or maybe changing to another
make of shaver unit would do the trick.

Other options, to BS 7671:

- convert appliance to SELV and install SELV source (isolating
transformer) outside bathroom (OK, this may not be a terribly
practical suggestion);

- install (mains powered) appliance in zone 3 or beyond, connected
by means of fused connection unit (and protected by 30mA RCD if
used in zone 3). This is allowed.

--
Andy

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"tim" writes:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message ...

I think the British Standard limits them to 20W

It probably does, but it's a BS EN so this is presumably harmonised
throughout the EC.

really, must be just the UK that enforces it then?

The requirement to use an isolating transformer seems to be
a UK one.

IME of European bathrooms they just have normal sockets in them.
Can't say that I think that the UK rules are wrong, but it is annoying
that no other courtry thinks that this is a problem?

US do. They have required RCD socket outlets in bathrooms for
a while now. They also require things like hairdriers to be
fitted with 5mA RCD plugs. Don't know how well they work after
you've dropped them a few times, possibly into the bath or sink.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Wade

Andrew Gabriel wrote in message ...

The requirement to use an isolating transformer seems to be
a UK one.

Well I was talking about shaver outlets (for which there is a harmonised EN
standard) rather than sockets-in-bathrooms in general, which is a different
subject altogether. But now I'm trying to reacall whether I've seen a
UK-type isolated shaver point in a (mainland) European bathroom. TBH I
can't remember whether I have or not (which probably comes of being a
wet-shaver). Odd though to have a harmonised standard used in the UK only.

On sockets in bathrooms in general, an article in 'Wiring Matters' (Issue 7,
Spring 2000) which introduced the new 'zoned bathroom' regs. talks abut the
ongoing argument. Harmonisation through CENELEC seesm to have fallen apart
(again) leaving the UK free to do its onw thing. Equipment and appliance
manufacturers are very keen to see sockets allowed, but while the IEE admits
to "general agreement that a socket outlet in a bathroom protected by an RCD
is unlikely to [significantly] increase the risk of electric shock" it goes
in to say that "doubt remains". The anti lobby seems to be mainly the
government, in shape of the HSE, DTI and DETR, who "do not think that the
potential benefits are worth the risk".

US do. They have required RCD socket outlets in bathrooms for
a while now. They also require things like hairdriers to be
fitted with 5mA RCD plugs. Don't know how well they work after
you've dropped them a few times, possibly into the bath or sink.

OTOH 115V/5mA is 23k ohms. Would you _want_ to use a hairdryer with
insulation resistance that low?

--
Andy

David W.E. Roberts

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I recently bought a Water Pik (a water jet equivalent of dental floss) but
its power needs appear to exceed that available from a standard UK shaver
outlet. The device is rated at 25VA and it appears that the standard UK
shaver outlet is rated at just 20VA. Anyway I get around just 45 seconds
of use before the thermal cut-out turns the socket off for a few minutes.

snip

Which make?
I used to have a Braun one which worked fine in my bathroom on a shaver
socket, but eventually the plastic tube covering disintegrated and I've
never checked to see if it could be replaced.

Jim Ley

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:09:50 +0100, "Andy Wade"
wrote:

Odd though to have a harmonised standard used in the UK only.

Ireland?

Jim.