Roger Mills

Default More power from shaver socket wanted

Anthony R. Gold wrote in message
I recently bought a Water Pik (a water jet equivalent of dental floss) but
its power needs appear to exceed that available from a standard UK shaver
outlet. The device is rated at 25VA and it appears that the standard UK
shaver outlet is rated at just 20VA. Anyway I get around just 45 seconds
of use before the thermal cut-out turns the socket off for a few minutes.

The best and simplest solution would be to find a vendor who sells higher
rated kit (i.e. integrated shaver transformer socket sets) but I haven't
yet found that.

Another solution is to just buy a transformer which meets the spirit of
the regulations (double-wound isolating transformer tested to 500V a.c.
rms for one minute between windings) but specified to say 50VA and then
hook it to suitable sockets, but I don't want to ask an electrician to do
anything illegal and nor do I wish to put my home out of compliance with
any IEE wiring or Heath and Safety regulations.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tony

Do it over the kitchen sink, and plug it into a 13A socket with a suitable
adapter.

Roger