tim

Default More power from shaver socket wanted

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message ...

I think the British Standard limits them to 20W

It probably does, but it's a BS EN so this is presumably harmonised
throughout the EC.

really, must be just the UK that enforces it then?

IME of European bathrooms they just have normal sockets in them.
Can't say that I think that the UK rules are wrong, but it is annoying
that no other courtry thinks that this is a problem?

Tim

Actually, I'm surprised that a 20VA unit is cutting out so quickly at 25VA.
I'd expect it to stand that sort of overload for short periods with no great
problem. Is the 25VA measured, or based on a rating plate? Maybe it's
faulty and drawing more current than expected. Or maybe changing to another
make of shaver unit would do the trick.

Other options, to BS 7671:

- convert appliance to SELV and install SELV source (isolating
transformer) outside bathroom (OK, this may not be a terribly
practical suggestion);

- install (mains powered) appliance in zone 3 or beyond, connected
by means of fused connection unit (and protected by 30mA RCD if
used in zone 3). This is allowed.

--
Andy