Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Bathroom shaver socket

On 21/07/2012 19:54, rbel wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:39:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/07/2012 18:39, rbel wrote:

Rather than install a standard large shaver socket in the tiled wall
my idea is to put a single switched outlet inside a cupboard in zone 3
of the bathroom. I would connect my contactless shaver charger to
this.

Zone three no longer exists - it was removed with the introduction of
the 17th edition. Sockets are permitted in bathrooms now so long as they
are 3m from the end of zone 2 (so only large bathrooms need apply!)

As far as I can see this does not fall foul of the regs - am I
correct?

depends on how far away the cupboard is, and whether you need a tool to
open in.

The cupboard is part of a run of fitted furniture (tool not required
to open it) and will be within 3 metres of the edge of the bath,
however, I had thought of using a switched connection unit rather than
a socket and hardwiring the contactless shaver charger to it.

This would not be new wiring, just picking up that to the existing,
now redundant, shavolite.

Yup hard wired to a FCU is fine...

(although as Brian said, its your place, and you are not proposing
anything inherently stupid, so just do what is sensible)

--
Cheers,

John.