Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default right of way at a mini roundabout

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 15:58, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Er, priority to the right ?

yes but no but the roundabout is so small and the bloke on my right
won't go because he is giving way to the chap on his right....it just
doesn't work and if you all go at the same time it is even worse.......

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"ss" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

That is one of the failure modes of mini roundabouts: they are prone to
deadlock when no-one can go because all three/four streams of traffic have
equal priority when everyone has someone to their right. What is needed is a
sign at one of the entrance roads to imply that this road has priority over
the others when there is deadlock. Once one car has gone (assuming there
isn't anyone behind that car) then one of the streams no longer has anyone
to its right and can go, and once that car has gone, the one in the third
direction can go, and so on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

I would do just what you did, on the basis that 'he who hesitates is
lost'. I take the view that no one wants to have their car dented,
and they'll more than likely give way to me if I take the initiative.

well that is why I went I don't care about dents .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 17:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
If there had been a cyclist therey he would have just rode over the top of
it giving a rude sign while sending a text.
Brian

and quite right as well ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 16:47:27 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

That is one of the failure modes of mini roundabouts: they are prone to
deadlock when no-one can go because all three/four streams of traffic have
equal priority when everyone has someone to their right. What is needed is a
sign at one of the entrance roads to imply that this road has priority over
the others when there is deadlock. Once one car has gone (assuming there
isn't anyone behind that car) then one of the streams no longer has anyone
to its right and can go, and once that car has gone, the one in the third
direction can go, and so on.

Cars to the right have right of way, but if they're stopped you can still go. However if they then set off & drive into you...

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

The one with the loudest hooter then , 5 short blasts.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 19:21:01 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Er, priority to the right ?

Priority to anyone *already* *on* the roundabout (which I agree is hard
with a mini). So if someone has not yet reached the dotted line then I
enter the roundabout.

That was my understanding. We both moved on at the same time and the
other driver started making his displeasure known. There was no-one
on the roundabout when I entered, officer.

The question to ask yourself is whether the person (to your right) at
or near the roundabout would have to take evasive action (i.e. operate
the brakes or steering) if you enter.

In my case, he did when he reached me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 15:58, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Er, priority to the right ?

Priority from the right only applies when vehicles are actually on the
roundabout and, until someone enters, everyone has equal right to do so.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 16:46, NY wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

That is one of the failure modes of mini roundabouts: they are prone to
deadlock when no-one can go because all three/four streams of traffic
have equal priority when everyone has someone to their right. What is
needed is a sign at one of the entrance roads to imply that this road
has priority over the others when there is deadlock. Once one car has
gone (assuming there isn't anyone behind that car) then one of the
streams no longer has anyone to its right and can go, and once that car
has gone, the one in the third direction can go, and so on.

There is no priority from the right until there is a vehicle actually on
the roundabout. Priority from the right refers only to giving way to a
vehicle that is already coming around the roundabout - it has nothing to
do with allowing vehicles waiting to enter to go first.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:28:30 +0100, ss wrote:

On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then.... All 3 drivers have someone to
their right.

Dining philosophers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at a
three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right of
way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up with
everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else found
this? ....

Nope, and we have lots of mini roundabouts now,
real fad with the local council.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

One of them has a longer distance to the car
on their right with most mini roundabouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"ss" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 16:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Er, priority to the right ?

I was going to say the same, but then....
All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

That is one of the failure modes of mini roundabouts: they are prone to
deadlock when no-one can go because all three/four streams of traffic have
equal priority when everyone has someone to their right.

Can't say I have ever seen that happen and we have lots of mini roundabouts.

Corse we dont queue as readily as you sheep do.

What is needed is a sign at one of the entrance roads to imply that this
road has priority over the others when there is deadlock.

We dont do that with mini roundabouts.

Once one car has gone (assuming there isn't anyone behind that car) then
one of the streams no longer has anyone to its right and can go, and once
that car has gone, the one in the third direction can go, and so on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 07:36:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Can't say I have ever seen that happen and we have lots of mini roundabouts.

I can see and say that obviously nobody gives a **** anymore, senile pest!
Looks like you are becoming as lonely on Usenet as you are in real life!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 07:33:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

One of them has a longer distance to the car
on their right with most mini roundabouts.

You ALWAYS have to go one better, eh? I mean, ALLLLWAYS! LMAO

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 07:26:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at a
three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right of
way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up with
everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else found
this? ....

Nope

LOL He said it again!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before
three vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way
line at a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who
has right of way...

A Mexican stand-off.

so feck it I blasted on around leaving them
sitting....fed up with everybody stopping and wondering who should
go....any body else found this? ....

Mostly it doesn't happen for very long because one of the drivers will
break the deadlock, as you did. That's expected behaviour, it's similar
to the situation when traffic lights aren't working and everyone has to
look out for themselves..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 15:58, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Er, priority to the right ?

Priority from the right only applies when vehicles are actually on the
roundabout and, until someone enters, everyone has equal right to do so.

So all three arrive at the roundabout and all stop because they see someone
else to their right that they will have to give way to. No-one is on the
roundabout. Two of the three both think "bugger this - I'm going" at the
same time, with the result that the one on the right will hit the one to his
left, and it will be the latter's fault. IN America, people are probably
more used to remembering the order that they arrived, since it is the way
that the same deadlock is broken with four-way stop junctions, but in the
UK, few people can remember what order they arrived at a roundabout: I know
I wouldn't have a clue and rely entirely on giving way to the car on the
right.

I suppose the way out of it is for one of the drivers to wave on the one on
his left, to say "I know I have priority over you, but I'll let you go to
break the deadlock". And once the first person has gone, the one on his left
(and your right) can go, and then you can go. The problem with that is
motivation: who wants to give way, knowing that it will make hem the last
car to go? But at least there is a positive signal - and anything is better
than no signal, which leads to indecision. Of course there will always be
some nutter who will give a clear wave-on or headlamp flash, and will then
set off and hit the other person deliberately to claim whiplash compensation
:-( The Highway Code desperately needs an "I will wait for you" signal. Not
flashing of headlamps, if that is already intended to mean a visible version
of the horn "Watch out! I'm here!", but *something* - flash a big green
light between the headlamps - anything!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 09:07, NY wrote:
[...]

deliberately to claim whiplash compensation :-(Â* The Highway Code
desperately needs an "I will wait for you" signal. Not flashing of
headlamps, if that is already intended to mean a visible version of the
horn "Watch out! I'm here!", but *something* - flash a big green light
between the headlamps - anything!

yes mini roundabouts just don't work....the other day we all arrived at
the roundabout exactly at the same time the roundabout was in perfect
symmetry if you can have such a thing in a triangle.....

I seem to remember driving in Boston Mass that you had priority coming
on to the rotary ??????

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 09:08:18 UTC+1, NY wrote:
[...]

In practice the car that's airborne has right of way

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:33:08 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 22/04/2019 16:46, NY wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
[...]

Not being difficult but wanting to understand better, do you have
authority for that - either RTA or Highway Code?

Not causing a collision would come under section 3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 09:20, wrote:
[...]

nah the fart can with the lowered suspension ......

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

I seem to remember driving in Boston Mass that you had priority coming on
to the rotary ??????

Not that I'm aware of. When I drove in that area (eg the big rotary as you
enter the Cape Cod peninsular) the rules were identical to in Britain except
a mirror image: priority to traffic (which is already on the roundabout)
coming from the left. I remember arriving at that roundabout and all the
Americans were looking bewildered because rotaries are so ra they are
much more used to four-way stop junctions (which are an utter abortion) or
else major road/minor road cross roads. I applied normal roundabout rules,
sailed round and left - no fuss. I stopped somewhere a little while
afterwards and an American chap stopped behind me and was full of admiration
as we waited "in line" to buy a can of Coke: he'd been behind me at the
roundabout and saw what I did so he followed me. He was even more impressed
when he heard my English accent and realise that I was driving on what for
me was the "wrong" side of the road.

The priority to traffic that is waiting to join applies in some European
countries - I think the Netherlands is one - and it is a disaster because
their roundabouts are self-filling (at busy times they get clogged up with
traffic) whereas ours are self-emptying in the same situation. Having said
that, I didn't notice the coach entrering a roundabout when there was
traffic coming from the left when we went on a coach trip around the
countryside north of Amsterdam while on a cruise, so I wonder if the rule
has changed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:33:08 +0100, Steve Walker
There is no priority from the right until there is a vehicle actually on
the roundabout. Priority from the right refers only to giving way to a
vehicle that is already coming around the roundabout - it has nothing to
do with allowing vehicles waiting to enter to go first.

Not being difficult but wanting to understand better, do you have
authority for that - either RTA or Highway Code?

Not causing a collision would come under section 3.

HM Govs' definition is 'as clear as an un-muddied lake' (clockwork orange)
:-

https://assets.publishing.service.go...uts-report.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 10:43, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

I seem to remember driving in Boston Mass that you had priority coming
on to the rotary ??????

Which is a complete pigs ear. The French had this due to Priorite a
droite. So everyone can enter the roundabout and anyone already on it
has to give way to people entering.

Spotted the obvious flaw with this?

The roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2q9GgltNtw
--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 09:31, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

[...]

this is the one I remember ..no give way lines ....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 10:05, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/04/2019 09:31, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

[...]

I tell a lie...I tell a lie ......

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 09:48:13 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:33:08 +0100, Steve Walker
There is no priority from the right until there is a vehicle actually on
the roundabout. Priority from the right refers only to giving way to a
vehicle that is already coming around the roundabout - it has nothing to
do with allowing vehicles waiting to enter to go first.

Not being difficult but wanting to understand better, do you have
authority for that - either RTA or Highway Code?

Not causing a collision would come under section 3.

HM Govs' definition is 'as clear as an un-muddied lake' (clockwork orange)
:-

https://assets.publishing.service.go...uts-report.pdf

There must have been a competition to see who could write the most
about a mini roundabout - bloody 'ell!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 09:07, NY wrote:
[...]

No. Under such circumstances you would be expected to set off slowly in
anticipation of having to stop again immediately.

Insurance companies would normally declare such incidents as 50/50 blame.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Much more fun when you have 6 mini roundabouts around the 6 roads
leading into a big roundabout, like the so called "magic roundabout"
in Hemel Hempstead (I think there may be others around the country
now). I was working in Hemel at the time that roundabout was built - I
had great fun )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

I seem to remember driving in Boston Mass that you had priority coming
on to the rotary ??????

Which is a complete pigs ear. The French had this due to Priorite a
droite. So everyone can enter the roundabout and anyone already on it
has to give way to people entering.

Spotted the obvious flaw with this?

The roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe comes to mind.

To add to the fun, the rules in France can vary depending on which town
youre in. Bloody nightmare.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 09:58, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Scott"Â* wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:33:08 +0100, Steve Walker
There is no priority from the right until there is a vehicle actually on
the roundabout. Priority from the right refers only to giving way to a
vehicle that is already coming around the roundabout - it has nothing to
do with allowing vehicles waiting to enter to go first.

Not being difficult but wanting to understand better, do you have
authority for that - either RTA or Highway Code?

Not causing a collision would come under section 3.

HM Govs' definition is 'as clear as an un-muddied lake' (clockwork orange)

https://assets.publishing.service.go...uts-report.pdf

Which includes "Vehicles entering the junction must give way to vehicles
approaching from the right, circulating the central island." - i.e.
priority only exists once there is a vehicle on the roundabout.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:33:08 +0100, Steve Walker
There is no priority from the right until there is a vehicle actually on
the roundabout. Priority from the right refers only to giving way to a
vehicle that is already coming around the roundabout - it has nothing to
do with allowing vehicles waiting to enter to go first.

Not being difficult but wanting to understand better, do you have
authority for that - either RTA or Highway Code?

Not causing a collision would come under section 3.

HM Govs' definition is 'as clear as an un-muddied lake' (clockwork orange)
:-

https://assets.publishing.service.go...uts-report.pdf

That report tries to make a virtue of what I consider a problem with mini
roundabouts: the approach roads are often angled by built-out kerbs so that
traffic that is going straight ahead on a junction with a side road has to
deviate from the straight ahead position. Ideally all the roads should be
flared slightly to the left (not the right, as often happens) to give
right-turning traffic as much width as possible to get the back wheels round
without having to steer excessively to the *left* as you enter and want to
turn *right*.

Ideally the roundabout should be there for one reason only: to establish
priority (who stops for whom), and should not force traffic to take a line
that is different to the one it would take if the junction was a simple T
junction. This would not go down well with the authors of the report because
they condemn people driving over the painted disc, which is the line that it
would take if there was no roundabout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 23/04/2019 09:07, NY wrote:
[...]

Work fine here.

the other day we all arrived at the roundabout exactly at the same time
the roundabout was in perfect symmetry if you can have such a thing in a
triangle.....

No wonder you buggers can't even manage a brexit.

I seem to remember driving in Boston Mass that you had priority coming on
to the rotary ??????

Only when you wave your glock out the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 20:10:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

yes mini roundabouts just don't work....

Work fine here.

Nobody gives a ****, senile Ozzie pest!

little ignorant ****."
MID: