Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default right of way at a mini roundabout

On 23/04/2019 09:07, NY wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 15:58, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Er, priority to the right ?

Priority from the right only applies when vehicles are actually on the
roundabout and, until someone enters, everyone has equal right to do so.

So all three arrive at the roundabout and all stop because they see
someone else to their right that they will have to give way to. No-one
is on the roundabout. Two of the three both think "bugger this - I'm
going" at the same time, with the result that the one on the right will
hit the one to his left, and it will be the latter's fault. IN America,
people are probably more used to remembering the order that they
arrived, since it is the way that the same deadlock is broken with
four-way stop junctions, but in the UK, few people can remember what
order they arrived at a roundabout: I know I wouldn't have a clue and
rely entirely on giving way to the car on the right.

I suppose the way out of it is for one of the drivers to wave on the one
on his left, to say "I know I have priority over you, but I'll let you
go to break the deadlock". And once the first person has gone, the one
on his left (and your right) can go, and then you can go. The problem
with that is motivation: who wants to give way, knowing that it will
make hem the last car to go? But at least there is a positive signal -
and anything is better than no signal, which leads to indecision. Of
course there will always be some nutter who will give a clear wave-on or
headlamp flash, and will then set off and hit the other person
deliberately to claim whiplash compensation :-(Â* The Highway Code
desperately needs an "I will wait for you" signal. Not flashing of
headlamps, if that is already intended to mean a visible version of the
horn "Watch out! I'm here!", but *something* - flash a big green light
between the headlamps - anything!

yes mini roundabouts just don't work....the other day we all arrived at
the roundabout exactly at the same time the roundabout was in perfect
symmetry if you can have such a thing in a triangle.....

I seem to remember driving in Boston Mass that you had priority coming
on to the rotary ??????

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace