Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default right of way at a mini roundabout

On 23/04/2019 09:07, NY wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 22/04/2019 15:58, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three
vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at
a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right
of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up
with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else
found this? ....

Er, priority to the right ?

Priority from the right only applies when vehicles are actually on the
roundabout and, until someone enters, everyone has equal right to do so.

So all three arrive at the roundabout and all stop because they see
someone else to their right that they will have to give way to. No-one
is on the roundabout. Two of the three both think "bugger this - I'm
going" at the same time, with the result that the one on the right will
hit the one to his left, and it will be the latter's fault.

No. Under such circumstances you would be expected to set off slowly in
anticipation of having to stop again immediately.

Insurance companies would normally declare such incidents as 50/50 blame.

SteveW