Old March 15th 19, 10:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demolition Breaker

On 15/03/2019 20:28, newshound wrote:

Personally, I'd be
happy to invest 100 notes in one of those to save having to use a sledge
hammer too much.

+1
I've found that the sledge hammer approach can spall off bits of the
surface which go flying out at a rapid rate.

Just make sure that when using a sledge hammer that any vehicles are
parked far enough away to prevent them being damaged from flying debis.
Protect any nearby glass.

Old March 15th 19, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

I find swinging a sledge hammer therapeutic.

--
Adam
Old March 15th 19, 10:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

Richard

Also worth considering is that the 6 tons of broken concrete have to be
moved and it may be better to have small pieces to lift/move rather than
large pieces that are at the limit of what the OP can lift. especially
after doing this for a few hours. It may be easy to shovel small pieces
whereas large pieces cannot be moved this way.

I wonder if the slab (4 inches on the edge) has been laid on top of
compacted hardcore requiring more material to be shifted.

Old March 15th 19, 11:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not
that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

Easy enough with one person, lift the concrete, kick a rock or one
of the broken its under it, use the sledge, repeat until its all in bits.

Old March 15th 19, 11:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for 35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth 35 of my money any day!

I find swinging a sledge hammer therapeutic.

Is this going to be related to "knocking a big nail in" by any chance?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Old March 15th 19, 11:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 10:08:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

Easy enough with one person, lift the concrete, kick a rock or one
of the broken its under it, use the sledge, repeat until its all in bits.

****ing unbelievable! This senile cantankerous psychopathic Ozzie cretin
knows it BETTER, again! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Old March 15th 19, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/03/2019 19:06, ARW wrote:
One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

Nope I just used a piece of 2x2 to lever and left in place then smacked
the concrete.
It works ok once you get started from an edge.
Old March 16th 19, 03:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 20:32, newshound wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:24, [email protected] wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:17, harry wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJH* wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max?* Easy job with a sledge hammer.

Big lever under edge to lift it off the ground a bit and hit it with a
sledge and it will break easily.

Don't lift it and the ground absorbs much of the energy and its harder
work.

Agreed but he's not going to lift a 5m x 5m slab (at least, not without
a 3 series JCB). OK to attack a half metre sized piece that way.

which is why you use a concrete saw.

fully understood.

Old March 16th 19, 04:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I have a similar looking beast which I bought for a one off job some
years back. While not particularly sophisticated, it does pack a fairly
hefty punch, and so will do what you want fairly easily.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old March 16th 19, 04:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I should avoid all the suggestions that involve serious physical effort.
Sledgehammer? Ridiculous! What is this, Alcatraz?

Buy the tool and you won't regret it. I have a similar one (same power)
and it makes short work of 4" concrete. You can keep working for a long
time because all you're doing is holding it in place.

Don't sell the tool afterwards. It will come in.

Bill

Demolition - and demolition is DIY related ARW UK diy 13 May 22nd 15 09:45 PM
Demolition breaker Tabby UK diy 6 December 5th 10 12:40 AM
Electric BBQ breaks GFI 20 Amp breaker yet works fine with non-GFI breaker. BoyntonStu Home Repair 10 May 26th 07 06:56 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM