Old March 15th 19, 02:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demolition Breaker

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

Old March 15th 19, 02:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I think SDS drilling and plug and feathers to cut the concrete into
manageable chunks would be easier and leave less rubble and mess?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_and_feather

If you want a new toy.............

Old March 15th 19, 03:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I got a very similar but slightly cheaper one on Ebay (?75GBP) and it
did a similar job without struggling. If the concrete is wholly
bounded by walls with no free edge and you have a big angle grinder it
migfht be worth cutting a coupl of parallel slots about 200mm apart and
im long just to get an edge to start with, concrete being much easier to
break if not in compression. Otherwise best to drill a hole with a big
masonry drill or the pointed breaker. Once you have a edge the
chiselling away 2-4" chunks seems to work best. Won't take more than a
few days, depending how far you have to move the bits.

--

Roger Hayter
Old March 15th 19, 03:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Being scientific about this:-

Impact power: 55J

One of the heavy SDS drills from the likes of Screwfix has around 8J, so
the aldi breaker is about 7 times the power. I'd have thought that's loads.

Old March 15th 19, 03:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old March 15th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 15:42, GB wrote:
On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems
to be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Being scientific about this:-

Impact power:* 55J

One of the heavy SDS drills from the likes of Screwfix has around 8J, so
the aldi breaker is about 7 times the power. I'd have thought that's loads.

A drill and a breaker are different beasts. While some SDS drills have a
nominal breaker function (ie you can have the hammer action without the
rotary action), I doubt they are intended for serious breaking. For
example, taking down a brick wall is far less demanding than breaking a
concrete slab.

I'm not suggesting the Aldi beast isn't up to the job, I've bought
several of they power tools and been very happy with them. They also
honour their warranty. I'd give it a try and, if it isn't up to the
job, expect them to refund the money with out a problem. It will be
cheap than hiring if it works.

If you can, try and dig out some of the soil under each section as you
go, just enough so the slab isn't supported by the ground, and chip it
away.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Old March 15th 19, 04:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I've done thgis with a hired concrete saw. mine had reinforcing in it.

Old March 15th 19, 04:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max? Easy job with a sledge hammer.
Old March 15th 19, 04:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:17, harry wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max? Easy job with a sledge hammer.

Big lever under edge to lift it off the ground a bit and hit it with a
sledge and it will break easily.

Don't lift it and the ground absorbs much of the energy and its harder work.

Old March 15th 19, 04:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Demolition - and demolition is DIY related ARW UK diy 13 May 22nd 15 09:45 PM
Demolition breaker Tabby UK diy 6 December 5th 10 12:40 AM
Electric BBQ breaks GFI 20 Amp breaker yet works fine with non-GFI breaker. BoyntonStu Home Repair 10 May 26th 07 06:56 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM