Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Puzzle of plastic

When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 14:47, Broadback wrote:
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?

Append um. What happens to all the rubbish collected by the latest
clean-up campaign?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 14:48:02 UTC, Broadback wrote:
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?

Domestic gas is to be banned in a few years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 16:34, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 14:48:02 UTC, Broadback wrote:
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?

Domestic gas is to be banned in a few years.

If you call 30 years a few. Even so, biogas is being considered as an
acceptable alternative, so it might be more akin to the changeover from
town gas to natural gas than a complete end to gas as a fuel.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 17:13:09 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
If you call 30 years a few. Even so, biogas is being considered as an
acceptable alternative, so it might be more akin to the changeover from
town gas to natural gas

I can just about remember how well that didn't go, and that was with the Gas Board.

Now I expect it would be something like the smart meter fiasco.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 17:14, Tim Streater wrote:

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 14:48:02 UTC, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?

Domestic gas is to be banned in a few years.

If you call 30 years a few. Even so, biogas is being considered as an
acceptable alternative, so it might be more akin to the changeover
from town gas to natural gas than a complete end to gas as a fuel.

What's so magic about biogas? How does it differ from methane?

It is renewable, uses no energy to produce it, reduces soil and water
pollution (as compared to landfill), has organic fertiliser as a
by-product and the production cycle captures methane, resulting in a
zero-emissions fuel.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 17:04, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Broadback
wrote:

When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those?

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style beer
in supermarkets being an example.

Morrison's is moving back to paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 18:32:48 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

Most isn't. The same is true of coke, fizy orange & all the other soft drinks. I think you'd have an uphill job banning them all.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 17:32, newshound wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

The best way to lighten a material is to perforate it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You can get a filter or if desperate a Revere Osmosis machine. Actually
pure water is meant to taste foul!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

Banning TV would save more, think of the electricity that would be
saved. Lots of things could be banned that we don't need to survive.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
dennis@home wrote

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a
good way to save some of the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You get to install a decent system that fixes that.
Makes a lot more sense than carting billions of
litters of tap water around in plastic bottles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 02/03/2019 21:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You can get a filter or if desperate a Revere Osmosis machine.

Yep.

Actually pure water is meant to taste foul!

Bull****. It doesnt taste at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 21:16:26 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 02/03/2019 17:32, newshound wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

The best way to lighten a material is to perforate it.

Bill

Do it when the bottle is full - holey water!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:54:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Actually pure water is meant to taste foul!

Bull****. It doesn¢t taste at all.

It tastes like water, senile asshole!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:53:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a
good way to save some of the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You get to install a decent system that fixes that.
Makes a lot more sense than carting billions of
litters of tap water around in plastic bottles.

Do you know the circumstances and details of those who have to use bottled
water? NO, you DON'T! So shut your stupid big gob, you self-opinionated,
senile asshole!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 18:11, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for not answering my question which was, how does it differ from
methane. Are you implying that it doesn't?

If you were trying to describe how it's produced, you've not done that
either.

If it's made from something growing, it'll take the carbon from the
atmosphere so it'll be carbon neutral.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

Get a filter jug to keep in the fridge. Keeps it chilled too, so you
don't have to waste water running it. You only need to do it for water
you drink neat - tea and squash can be made with tap water unless
there's something seriously the matter with your supply.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 18:36, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment. It really isn't needed.

Pretty much +1. Although fizzy water is nice, it's what we buy.

Get busy with the fizzy then.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ions-says-firm

(Nasty idea. They'll fall over and spill.)
--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 21:54, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 02/03/2019 21:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some
of the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You can get a filter or if desperate a Revere Osmosis machine.

Yep.

Actually pure water is meant to taste foul!

Bull****. It doesnt taste at all.

Clearly you have never tasted true RO water. Do not confuse Reverse
Osmosis water with filtered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3...some_criticism

It tastes acidic and is unpleasant. Try it and then tell us your
experience, not from a unit designed to purify drinking water that is
post 'filtered' to increase ph to make it more palatable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 23:22:07 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ions-says-firm

(Nasty idea. They'll fall over and spill.)

Wine in polythene bags would save even more. But those aren't what most consumers want in a wine product.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 23:22, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ions-says-firm

(Nasty idea. They'll fall over and spill.)

Better drink it up quick, then

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 02/03/2019 21:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You can get a filter or if desperate a Revere Osmosis machine.

Yep.

Actually pure water is meant to taste foul!

Bull****. It doesnt taste at all.

Clearly you have never tasted true RO water.

You're wrong, and I have also tasted chemically pure water too.

Do not confuse Reverse Osmosis water with filtered.

I have never done that and my formal qualifications are in chemistry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3...some_criticism

It tastes acidic

Pure water isnt.

and is unpleasant. Try it and then tell us your experience,

Thats not pure water.

not from a unit designed to purify drinking water that is post 'filtered'
to increase ph to make it more palatable.

You've just claimed that RO water tastes bad because its acidic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop
lighter weight tougher glass.

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style
beer in supermarkets being an example.

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of
banning plastic bottles either way.

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the
people who don't take care disposing of them.

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of
the environment.
It really isn't needed.

Banning TV would save more, think of the electricity that would be
saved. Lots of things could be banned that we don't need to survive.

Like most of the front section of the chemist shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 02/03/2019 21:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/03/2019 18:32, dennis@home wrote:

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some
of the environment.
It really isn't needed.

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

You can get a filter or if desperate a Revere Osmosis machine.

Yep.

Actually pure water is meant to taste foul!

Bull****. It doesnt taste at all.

Clearly you have never tasted true RO water.

You're wrong, and I have also tasted chemically pure water too.

Do not confuse Reverse Osmosis water with filtered.

I have never done that and my formal qualifications are in chemistry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3...some_criticism

It tastes acidic

Pure water isnt.

Have you tried medical grade RO water? I presume that's a 'no'?

and is unpleasant. Try it and then tell us your experience,

Thats not pure water.

not from a unit designed to purify drinking water that is post
'filtered' to increase ph to make it more palatable.

You've just claimed that RO water tastes bad because its acidic.

It does, the so called post 'filter' is to add alkaline material to
increase the ph. If you don't understand this, best give up now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 17:13, Nightjar wrote:
On 02/03/2019 16:34, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 14:48:02 UTC, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?

Domestic gas is to be banned in a few years.

If you call 30 years a few. Even so, biogas is being considered as an
acceptable alternative, so it might be more akin to the changeover from
town gas to natural gas than a complete end to gas as a fuel.

OTOH there may well be a move away from ecocrap as the issues involved
with it become impossible to lie about

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

It does,

So it isnt PURE WATER. PURE WATER isnt acidic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/03/2019 16:34, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 14:48:02 UTC, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags
were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were
returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas
(mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will
happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they
be compensated?

Domestic gas is to be banned in a few years.

If you call 30 years a few. Even so, biogas is being considered as an
acceptable alternative, so it might be more akin to the changeover
from town gas to natural gas than a complete end to gas as a fuel.

What's so magic about biogas? How does it differ from methane?

It doesnt. Methane IS biogas. All gas and oil - unless you are an
abiotic 'believer' are biological in origin.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2019 17:23, Nightjar wrote:
It is renewable, uses no energy to produce it, reduces soil and water
pollution (as compared to landfill), has organic fertiliser as a
by-product and the production cycle captures methane, resulting in a
zero-emissions fuel.

ROFLMAO!

A True Believer!

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

North sea gas was made from something growing, and presumably it did
take the carbon from the atmosphere so it is carbon neutral.

Its just time we put it back to help plants grwow.

It's just recycling plant waste to plant food.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, for a start most of my milk still comes in glass bottles because its
delivered. The problem with glass is that its heavy to transport of course
and it has to be cleaned every round trip.
Cartons are now recyclable it seems so I do that, as with cans and plastic
food containers.
The problem with recycling is that sadly the same carton cannot be cleaned
and sterilised, it needs to be melted down into something to make something
else and there seems a finite number of times you can do this, probably more
energy hungry than sterilising a bottle , but I've never seen a comparison.
Paper bags are fine, and still with us of course but they are a pain if you
walk to do your shopping and its raining.

I personally think the pre packed food with plastic over it is probably
extremely wasteful also they fill the package with gas of some kind to help
preserve the contents.

The universe likes to make disorder from order and this is why there is so
much plastic around the environment. Its not good, but what can we do, the
cat is out of the bag so to speak.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags were
paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were returned
and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas (mainly) central
heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will happen to the
businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they be compensated?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 11:53:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH senile troll****

In auto-contradicting mode again, senile Rot? Of COURSE you are! LMAO

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 16:20:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH yet more of the predictable auto-contradicting by the senile Ozzie
cretin

....and nothing's left! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot: