Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 13:39:36 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 11:06:47 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the colour of the light though and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely simiulate a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

Philips 'Warm Glow' bulbs (not hue-enabled) aim to simulate the tungsten dimming profile:

https://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/c...e-led-lighting

Interesting proves I was right about LEDs not being the same when dimmed, but at £6.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 14:36:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
NY wrote:
Given that LEDs are usually dimmed by altering the mark:space ratio of a
constant-frequency square wave, so the light is turned on for a
progressively shorter proportion of each cycler,

That€˜s not true of all dimmers.

Ah, do some of them simply reduce the current, as you would with
tungsten - though with more complicated electronics?

A normal tungsten dimmer works by altering the shape of the AC waveform -
so not so different to dimming an AC driven LED.

But LEDs aren't AC driven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
A normal tungsten dimmer works by altering the shape of the AC
waveform - so not so different to dimming an AC driven LED.

But LEDs aren't AC driven.

No **** Sherlock?

I take it you have DC mains at home? Might explain a few things.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2019 14:42, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Thursday, 28 February 2019 14:31:07 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

And they do - I have a set. They are awesome.

That's good to hear; I was wondering how well they work in practice.

Wild guess: 2 sets of led chips on the strings, one yellow and one white.

Pity they don't yet make
those in more form factors.

Yes, and it is a shame that they don't appear to do them in the Hue range too. (As the thread discusses there are colour-temp-changing Hue bulbs but I don't believe they can change automatically with dimmer level).

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 18:33:32 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 18:19:41 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
Hi all,We have one of those 3 lamp ceiling spotlights that
currently
has
3 x50W halogen lamps in it that I would like to change to LED and
one
ofthe dimmer switches that was previously recommended in another
thread.

Do bear in mind that the quality of light from a dimmed LED is
completely different from a tungsten bulb. They don't get
"warmer" as they dim.

They can do with the best designs like the Philips Hues.

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the colour of
the
light though

So they dont just get a dimmer. And you are free to set a whole series
of
intensity
and color settings so the color changes automatically as it dims. And can
name
them too so you can have scenes with to intensity and white you want too.

If yuo like fiddling

Or use what fiddling someone else has done.

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a sunset.
For an LED to simulate that you'd have to set a preset, and then decide
just
how much and for how long, some of us have more interesting things to do.

Or just have a few scenes, one for when you are watching TV when
its dark outside, one for say eating dinner, one for say sitting around
reading books, one for say doing your hobbys or interests or usenet etc.

we have LED lighting in our new lab, sounds great until you use it. Auto
brightness too. Looks good but as yet I'm not convinced it's a good idea.

I am with mine. Never use anything else now. Dont even notice the warm
whites the cheapest hue bulbs do that I mostly have in the less used
rooms like the room where all the beer is stored etc. And the bedroom.

and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely simiulate
a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

But trivial to add those as scenes. Pre programmed by someone else too.

Yeah great but at what price and cost or usability.

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I dont have any multibulb fake
chandeliers and love the usability of having all the lights completely
automatic by movement sensors. Tho given they are leds, you can
certainly make a case for just a couple of zones, the main activity
areas and the rest with them either on or off due to the low
electricity consumption. Too early to tell what the life of the leds
used like that will be tho. The base of the color bulbs does get
quite warm in summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 15:50:06 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
A normal tungsten dimmer works by altering the shape of the AC
waveform - so not so different to dimming an AC driven LED.

But LEDs aren't AC driven.

No **** Sherlock?

I take it you have DC mains at home? Might explain a few things.

No you ****ing idiot each bulbs has it's own SWPS otherwise the LED will only be ON for each half cycle, LEDs are DC components NOT AC.
You don;t know that TV, radios, amnd a lot of teh smaller home appliances run on DC even if you do plug them into the mains AC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 18:48:12 UTC, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do bear in mind that the quality of light from a dimmed LED is
completely different from a tungsten bulb. They don't get
"warmer" as they dim.

They can do with the best designs like the Philips Hues.

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the colour of
the
light though

I didn't know you could make the light get redder as it gets dimmer.
Obviously anything is possible because it's all under software control,
but
I didn't know the software (eg the Android app) for Philips Hue bulbs
could
be programmed to change the colour.

I can't say I've been too worried that the light doesn't get redder as it
dims, like a tungsten bulb does.

It;s not a worry more of a physical fact of life humans and animals have
experienced since birth.

I have a variety of colours according to
mood etc (white for reading during the day to supplement daylight, warm
white for reading in the evening, "tropical sunset" for reading near
bedtime
when I want to cut out blue light.

But ask yuorself why yuo;d want to do that.

Having set the colour, I just then change
the brightness as required. But it's nice to know that redder-as-it-dims
mimic tungsten) is possible if the need should ever arise.

If you don't know the reason for it then you won't change anything.

One thing that I'm always surprised at with LED bulbs used as room lights
is
how bright the dimmest setting is -

On my dimmer there's a preset to adjust the minium level not that I:ve
played with it much, but will do as the dimmest settign isn't as dim as
I'd like, but if I make it dimmer the full brightness isn;t as bright as
I;d
like, for times when I drop something small on the floor and can't find
it.

I much prefer to have a few scenes, including the usually used
ones like that finding something small on the floor. Trivially easy
with Hue. And even easier to invoke using Alexa, 'alexa lost' etc.

Given that LEDs are usually dimmed by altering the mark:space ratio of a
constant-frequency square wave, so the light is turned on for a
progressively shorter proportion of each cycler, it should be possible to
turn the LED on for less time to make it even dimmer than the present
dimmest setting.

It is but LEDs being diodes means they have a cut off point where
they just don't come on at smaal mark ratios of less than about 5%.

All that is invisible with a well designed system like Hue.

I've always wondered how TV studios manage to dim the lights so faint
objects are visible (Tomorrow's World: "we'll just dim the studio lights
so
you can see this oscilloscope trace") without them going red. I know they
leave a few lights on full brightness and kill the majority, so there
aren't
any lamps on partial brightness, but even so, I'd have thought that as
they
are dimming "the majority" you'd see them go a reddish orange.

Don;t forget that the cameras have AWB (average white balance,
which has nothing to do with Harry posts) also camera also have
a differnt spectral response to humans eyes too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

I prefer to set such things myself.

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a sunset.
For an LED to simulate that you'd have to set a preset, and then decide
just
how much and for how long, some of us have more interesting things to do.

Or just have a few scenes, one for when you are watching TV when
its dark outside, one for say eating dinner, one for say sitting around
reading books, one for say doing your hobbys or interests or usenet etc.

What a waste of time, has that coem from some advert pushing the tech.
You forgot the one for having a **** , or for using a smartphone, or listening to the radio.

we have LED lighting in our new lab, sounds great until you use it. Auto
brightness too. Looks good but as yet I'm not convinced it's a good idea.

I am with mine. Never use anything else now. Dont even notice the warm
whites the cheapest hue bulbs do that I mostly have in the less used
rooms like the room where all the beer is stored etc. And the bedroom.

So the lights come on when you enter the bedroom so when do the light sgo off in the bedroom when you leave ?

and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely simiulate
a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

But trivial to add those as scenes. Pre programmed by someone else too..

Yeah great but at what price and cost or usability.

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I dont have any multibulb fake
chandeliers

Me niether I replaced mine in the mid 90s then went to GU10 in 2006/7

and love the usability of having all the lights completely
automatic by movement sensors.

I'd find that pointless and irratating. Liek having bedrooom lights come on when I'm in the room trying to sleep.

Tho given they are leds, you can
certainly make a case for just a couple of zones, the main activity
areas and the rest with them either on or off due to the low
electricity consumption.

And because of that I see little point in the living room lights going off when I leave the room for a **** or to make a cuppa.
I don;t want lights flickering on and off as I walk between rooms, I want it evcen less so when I have friends over it's pathetic.

Too early to tell what the life of the leds
used like that will be tho. The base of the color bulbs does get
quite warm in summer.

Well it's a minor interest to me. Even the makers don;t know that why they say up to 50,000 hours. That doesn't mean 50K could be just 1K, and on returning they'll say there was a voltage surge or they got too hot or they were dropped, none of which the warrenty covers.

I dont; buy anything because of the warrenty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

So. Most of the keel of a ship is invisible, doesn;t mean it doesn't exist or isn't important.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

One thing that I'm always surprised at with LED bulbs used as room
lights is how bright the dimmest setting is - it's probably too bright
to use as a night light so you can see your way to the loo at night
without the light keeping you awake as you try to get to sleep.

Thats not true of the Hue bulbs.

Actually I have seen this with Hue bulbs - both the fixed-colour and the
colour bulbs.

Just done it with a color bulb and a white bulb, 1% is fine for a night
light.

With the LED strip, 1% is so faint that you cant see a lot even
with dark adapted eyes. 5% is a better night light IMO.

I do have a GU10 and white ambience bulbs, but havent
got around to adding them to the system yet but I bet
the GU10 would be even dimmer given its full brightness
is much lower in lumens. I was planning to have it under
the monitor where the keyboard is, as a sort of night
light there because it was pretty dark under there
even in the daytime but I reorganised the monitors
so I could read that one better and that exposed the
keyboard to more light so I didnt need the GU10 anymore.

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference how dim you like the
dimmest setting to be, but the dimmest that I have seen with Hue is still
fairly bright.

I cant see that the 1% setting is too bright, in fact it would be
a bit dangerous walking to the dunny for a **** if it was any
dimmer. Too easy to trip over something someone had left.

Given that LEDs are usually dimmed by altering the mark:space ratio of a
constant-frequency square wave, so the light is turned on for a
progressively shorter proportion of each cycler,

Thats not true of all dimmers.

Ah, do some of them simply reduce the current, as you would with tungsten

Yes, particularly led dimmers. Thats
how the Hue lighting strips do it.

- though with more complicated electronics?

Yeah, to allow for the very non linear current to lumens chart with leds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 28 February 2019 14:31:07 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

And they do - I have a set. They are awesome.

That's good to hear; I was wondering how well they work in practice.

Pity they don't yet make
those in more form factors.

Yes, and it is a shame that they don't appear to do them in the Hue range
too. (As the thread discusses there are colour-temp-changing Hue bulbs
but I don't believe they can change automatically with dimmer level).

It makes no sense to do that. Those Hue bulbs have full control over
the intensity and color temp and it makes a lot more sense to have
a few scenes the situations you use the lights in and switch between
those scenes than to manually twirl some dimmer control.

And its trivial to use IFTTT to have the color temp track the intensity
as you twirl some control if you want to do it like that.

And given that Philips is into that sort of thing, bet it wont
be long before the app has that included. One of the other
Hue apps already has that, forget which one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:36:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yes, particularly led dimmers. That¢s
how the Hue lighting strips do it.

I just wonder HOW much dimmer the two of you still can get. G

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 03:24:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I much prefer to have a few scenes, including the usually used
ones like that finding something small on the floor. Trivially easy
with Hue. And even easier to invoke using Alexa, 'alexa lost' etc.

Geezuz Christ ...what a mindless consuming sheep you are, senile Rot. Must
be a senile thing. God spare us of too many idiots like you!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 03:17:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I don¢t have any multibulb fake

You'd better worry about the dim bulb in your head, senile dimbulb!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimbulb Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 05:14:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

And given that Philips is into that sort of thing, bet it wont
be long before the app has that included. One of the other
Hue apps already has that, forget which one.

I doubt Philips could help you with that steadily dimming light in your
senile head, you senile old fool!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

Very easy with IFTTT

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a sunset.
For an LED to simulate that you'd have to set a preset, and then decide
just
how much and for how long, some of us have more interesting things to
do.

Or just have a few scenes, one for when you are watching TV when
its dark outside, one for say eating dinner, one for say sitting around
reading books, one for say doing your hobbys or interests or usenet etc.

What a waste of time,

Nope, best way to do it. Mostly only use a few intensity and color
temp pairs for the real life situations they have and much easier
to tell it to use a particular scene when it can work it out for itself
from the time of day, what devices like the TV are in use etc.

Much better to just tell the system that you want to turn the
TV on and have it set the lights the way you want them when
watching TV when its dark outside and what you want when
reading a printed book or when looking for something small
on the floor etc.

has that coem from some advert pushing the tech.

Nope, just the best way to do the lights.

we have LED lighting in our new lab, sounds great until you use it.
Auto
brightness too. Looks good but as yet I'm not convinced it's a good
idea.

I am with mine. Never use anything else now. Dont even notice the warm
whites the cheapest hue bulbs do that I mostly have in the less used
rooms like the room where all the beer is stored etc. And the bedroom.

So the lights come on when you enter the bedroom so when
do the light sgo off in the bedroom when you leave ?

After you have been out for a specified time. And they only
come on at all when its dark enough to need lights there.

and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely
simiulate
a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

But trivial to add those as scenes. Pre programmed by someone else
too.

Yeah great but at what price and cost or usability.

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I dont have any multibulb fake
chandeliers

Me niether I replaced mine in the mid 90s then went to GU10 in 2006/7

You previously claimed that Hue would be too expensive because
you had at least one of those, and said so again in the last few days.

and love the usability of having all the lights
completely automatic by movement sensors.

I'd find that pointless

Clearly not pointless to have the lights come
on instead of having to use the switch.

and irratating.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

Liek having bedrooom lights come on
when I'm in the room trying to sleep.

Trivial to ensure that doesnt happen.

Tho given they are leds, you can certainly make
a case for just a couple of zones, the main activity
areas and the rest with them either on or off due
to the low electricity consumption.

And because of that I see little point in the living room lights
going off when I leave the room for a **** or to make a cuppa.

Mine dont and its trivial to specify how long after it no longer
sees any movement before it turns them off auto. Same with
the kitchen. Trivial to specify a time of no activity seen before
they are turned off. Same with the less commonly used rooms
used for storage etc.

I don;t want lights flickering on and off as I walk between rooms,

Trivial to ensure that they dont.

I want it evcen less so when I have friends over it's pathetic.

Trivial to ensure that too.

Too early to tell what the life of the leds
used like that will be tho. The base of the
color bulbs does get quite warm in summer.

Well it's a minor interest to me. Even the makers
don;t know that why they say up to 50,000 hours.

But it is a consideration if you dont use movement
sensors and just have the lights on all the time.

That doesn't mean 50K could be just 1K, and on returning
they'll say there was a voltage surge or they got too hot or
they were dropped, none of which the warrenty covers.

I dont; buy anything because of the warrenty.

But it is a consideration when deciding on whether
to just leave them on all the time or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 19:36:25 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
A normal tungsten dimmer works by altering the shape of the AC
waveform - so not so different to dimming an AC driven LED.

But LEDs aren't AC driven.

No **** Sherlock?

I take it you have DC mains at home? Might explain a few things.

No you ****ing idiot each bulbs has it's own SWPS otherwise the LED will
only be ON for each half cycle, LEDs are DC components NOT AC. You
don;t know that TV, radios, amnd a lot of teh smaller home appliances
run on DC even if you do plug them into the mains AC.

Ah right. So a dimmer external to that LED actually works on that DC. Glad
to learn something new.

You really don't have a clue do you.
LEDs are DC you do know that LED is Light emitting DIODE now lok up what the word diode means

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

As I expected a waste of time, for those people with working brains anyway.

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a sunset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

How will the 'system' know ?

When you use IFTTT to initiate everything when you want to watch TV.

and have it set the lights the way you want them when
watching TV when its dark outside and what you want when
reading a printed book or when looking for something small
on the floor etc.
has that coem from some advert pushing the tech.

Nope, just the best way to do the lights.

I've a better way,

Nope.

switch them on when I want them on

Much better to have the system work that out auto so you dont have to.

So the lights come on when you enter the bedroom so when
do the light sgo off in the bedroom when you leave ?

After you have been out for a specified time. And they only
come on at all when its dark enough to need lights there.

and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely
simiulate
a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

But trivial to add those as scenes. Pre programmed by someone else
too.

Yeah great but at what price and cost or usability.

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I dont have any multibulb fake
chandeliers

Me niether I replaced mine in the mid 90s then went to GU10 in 2006/7

You previously claimed that Hue would be too expensive because
you had at least one of those, and said so again in the last few days.

One of what exactly ?

Fake chandeliers.

I'd need 6 hue GU10 bulbs for the frontroom

Not if you bin the fake chandeliers and use ES38 bulbs.

and love the usability of having all the lights
completely automatic by movement sensors.

I'd find that pointless

Clearly not pointless to have the lights come
on instead of having to use the switch.

Liek having bedrooom lights come on
when I'm in the room trying to sleep.

Trivial to ensure that doesnt happen.

And because of that I see little point in the living room lights
going off when I leave the room for a **** or to make a cuppa.

Mine dont and its trivial to specify how long after it no longer
sees any movement before it turns them off auto. Same with
the kitchen. Trivial to specify a time of no activity seen before
they are turned off. Same with the less commonly used rooms
used for storage etc.

I don't see the point in that.

Yep, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

I guess if you're a loner and never interact
with anyone else then there;s some advantage.

Works even better with multiperson households.

But fi I leave my living room to make tea I don;t
want the lights going off in the living room

They dont.

because friends family or anyone is still in that room.

The movement sensor will keep the lights on there, ****wit.

I don;t want lights flickering on and off as I walk between rooms,

Trivial to ensure that they dont.

I want it evcen less so when I have friends over it's pathetic.

Trivial to ensure that too.

Too early to tell what the life of the leds
used like that will be tho. The base of the
color bulbs does get quite warm in summer.

Well it's a minor interest to me. Even the makers
don;t know that why they say up to 50,000 hours.

But it is a consideration if you dont use movement
sensors and just have the lights on all the time.

That doesn't mean 50K could be just 1K, and on returning
they'll say there was a voltage surge or they got too hot or
they were dropped, none of which the warrenty covers.

I dont; buy anything because of the warrenty.

But it is a consideration when deciding on whether
to just leave them on all the time or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:47:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The movement sensor will keep the lights on there, ****wit.

Obviously the lights in your senile head went out already a long time ago,
you senile pest!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"I'm not the least surprised. The man is a conspicuous and unashamed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

What do you mean by initiate everything ?

I don't want everything initiated, I want to choose.

switch them on when I want them on

Much better to have the system work that out auto so you dont have to.

Not for me and most sensible people.

You previously claimed that Hue would be too expensive because
you had at least one of those, and said so again in the last few days.

One of what exactly ?

Fake chandeliers.

What do you mean by fake ?

I'd need 6 hue GU10 bulbs for the frontroom

Not if you bin the fake chandeliers and use ES38 bulbs.

I don't want ES38 bulbs.

Mine dont and its trivial to specify how long after it no longer
sees any movement before it turns them off auto. Same with
the kitchen. Trivial to specify a time of no activity seen before
they are turned off. Same with the less commonly used rooms
used for storage etc.

I don't see the point in that.

Yep, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

You've been sold these things by clever advertising, I'm not that easily fooled.

I guess if you're a loner and never interact
with anyone else then there;s some advantage.

Works even better with multiperson households.

How does it count people going in and out of rooms ?

But fi I leave my living room to make tea I don;t
want the lights going off in the living room

They dont.

because friends family or anyone is still in that room.

The movement sensor will keep the lights on there, ****wit.

and if there's movment they go off, must make great security lights.

When I go out I leave my lights at pretty much the same level as if I was at home. Why would I want them to go out indicating that there was no one home to trigger them ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

Everything you do when watching TV, turn the TV on,
turn the PVR on if you are watching something recorded,
have the lights the way you want then when watching
TV depending on the time of day and season.

switch them on when I want them on

Much better to have the system work that out auto so you dont have to.

You previously claimed that Hue would be too expensive because
you had at least one of those, and said so again in the last few days.

One of what exactly ?

Fake chandeliers.

What do you mean by fake ?

Its not a real chandelier with candles, just fake candles.

I'd need 6 hue GU10 bulbs for the frontroom

Not if you bin the fake chandeliers and use ES38 bulbs.

I don't want ES38 bulbs.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

Mine dont and its trivial to specify how long after it no longer
sees any movement before it turns them off auto. Same with
the kitchen. Trivial to specify a time of no activity seen before
they are turned off. Same with the less commonly used rooms
used for storage etc.

I don't see the point in that.

Yep, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

You've been sold these things by clever advertising,

Nope, I decided for myself that its the best way to
do it. I previously did with with X10 and binned
that when something much better came along.

I guess if you're a loner and never interact
with anyone else then there;s some advantage.

Works even better with multiperson households.

How does it count people going in and out of rooms ?

Doesnt need to. It sees if there is still movement in the room.

But fi I leave my living room to make tea I don;t
want the lights going off in the living room

They dont.

because friends family or anyone is still in that room.

The movement sensor will keep the lights on there, ****wit.

and if there's movment they go off,

Nope, stay on.

When I go out I leave my lights at pretty much the same level as if I was
at home.

Trivial to have the system detect that you have left the house
and that there is no movement in the house anymore and do
what you want the lights to do in that situation. And vary them
too so it looks like there is still someone there and not just
you having left the lights on when you have left the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 04:48:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Trivial to have

What could be more trivial than your idiotic trolling, you senile troll!
tsk

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

I don't have such strict guidlines, for such things.
My life is rather more analogue than perhaps your is.
For istance when a friend comes around she likes the lights dimmed more than I usually do, I also have the TV at differing volumes depending on what is one.
Sometimes the TV is background noise while at other times it's watched or listened to as the main source. I do the same with music.

I dont; have such a sad little like that I have a few setting for it and that;'s my life but if that suites yuor life then yuo;re sortted aren't you.

Fake chandeliers.

What do you mean by fake ?

Its not a real chandelier with candles, just fake candles.

sure it's not fork 'andles.

I'd need 6 hue GU10 bulbs for the frontroom

Not if you bin the fake chandeliers and use ES38 bulbs.

I don't want ES38 bulbs.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

I have a GU10 holders why would I want ES38 bulbs ?

You've been sold these things by clever advertising,

Nope, I decided for myself that its the best way to
do it. I previously did with with X10 and binned
that when something much better came along.

and advertisers dream.
Show him something else and you'll buy into it.

I guess if you're a loner and never interact
with anyone else then there;s some advantage.

Works even better with multiperson households.

How does it count people going in and out of rooms ?

Doesnt need to. It sees if there is still movement in the room.

Most people sittign watching TV don't move much.

When I go out I leave my lights at pretty much the same level as if I was
at home.

Trivial to have the system detect that you have left the house
and that there is no movement in the house anymore and do
what you want the lights to do in that situation. And vary them
too so it looks like there is still someone there and not just
you having left the lights on when you have left the house.

But not very convincing for anyone with a clue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

No strict guidelines involved. Even a terminal ****wit
such as yourself should realise that its a hell of a lot
more convenient to have a single button configure
everything relevant for watching TV and you then
select what you want to watch, than to have to
set each one manually.

My life is rather more analogue than perhaps your is.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a dinosaur.

For istance when a friend comes around she
likes the lights dimmed more than I usually do,

Trivial to have a config for her if she shows up much.

I also have the TV at differing volumes depending on what is one.

Trivial to have the single button set the most commonly
used volume and allow you to change it as appropriate.

Sometimes the TV is background noise while at other
times it's watched or listened to as the main source.

Trivial to have those two configs too. You could even get
real radical and call them background TV and watching TV.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:31:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another load of stinking senile troll****

....and much better air in here again.

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
[...]

No it's not that why no one but an idiot does it.
But if you have mental and physical problems then maybe a one button
is enough to call the carers.

For istance when a friend comes around she
likes the lights dimmed more than I usually do,

Trivial to have a config for her if she shows up much.

About once or twice a week, and being female she tends to change her mind depending on various things so it's not like I can preset things for her arrival as I'vw no idea who else might pop by at that time.

I also have the TV at differing volumes depending on what is one.

Trivial to have the single button set the most commonly
used volume and allow you to change it as appropriate.

that's what the volume control is for.
Channels do have differning volummes and then the ads are set at difernt compression levels so some sound louder than others, but usually rathe rthan set up another preset I just pause or mute.
I prefer pausing to muting, she prefers muting.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs, and this time before you produce it.