Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 18:33:32 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 18:19:41 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
Hi all,We have one of those 3 lamp ceiling spotlights that
currently
has
3 x50W halogen lamps in it that I would like to change to LED
and
one
ofthe dimmer switches that was previously recommended in
another
thread.

Do bear in mind that the quality of light from a dimmed LED is
completely different from a tungsten bulb. They don't get
"warmer" as they dim.

They can do with the best designs like the Philips Hues.

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the
colour
of
the
light though

So they dont just get a dimmer. And you are free to set a whole
series
of
intensity
and color settings so the color changes automatically as it dims..
And
can
name
them too so you can have scenes with to intensity and white you
want
too.

If yuo like fiddling

Or use what fiddling someone else has done.

I prefer to set such things myself.

Very easy with IFTTT

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a
sunset.
For an LED to simulate that you'd have to set a preset, and then
decide
just
how much and for how long, some of us have more interesting things
do.

Or just have a few scenes, one for when you are watching TV when
its dark outside, one for say eating dinner, one for say sitting
around
reading books, one for say doing your hobbys or interests or usenet
etc.

What a waste of time,

Nope, best way to do it.

As I expected a waste of time, for those people with working brains
anyway.

Mostly only use a few intensity and color
temp pairs for the real life situations they have and much easier
to tell it to use a particular scene when it can work it out for itself
from the time of day, what devices like the TV are in use etc.

Much better to just tell the system that you want to turn the
TV on

How will the 'system' know ?

When you use IFTTT to initiate everything when you want to watch TV.

What do you mean by initiate everything ?

I don't want everything initiated, I want to choose.

switch them on when I want them on

Much better to have the system work that out auto so you dont have to.

Not for me and most sensible people.

You previously claimed that Hue would be too expensive because
you had at least one of those, and said so again in the last few days.

One of what exactly ?

Fake chandeliers.

What do you mean by fake ?

I'd need 6 hue GU10 bulbs for the frontroom

Not if you bin the fake chandeliers and use ES38 bulbs.

I don't want ES38 bulbs.

Mine dont and its trivial to specify how long after it no longer
sees any movement before it turns them off auto. Same with
the kitchen. Trivial to specify a time of no activity seen before
they are turned off. Same with the less commonly used rooms
used for storage etc.

I don't see the point in that.

Yep, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

You've been sold these things by clever advertising, I'm not that easily fooled.

I guess if you're a loner and never interact
with anyone else then there;s some advantage.

Works even better with multiperson households.

How does it count people going in and out of rooms ?

But fi I leave my living room to make tea I don;t
want the lights going off in the living room

They dont.

because friends family or anyone is still in that room.

The movement sensor will keep the lights on there, ****wit.

and if there's movment they go off, must make great security lights.

When I go out I leave my lights at pretty much the same level as if I was at home. Why would I want them to go out indicating that there was no one home to trigger them ?