Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 16:17:37 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 18:33:32 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 18:19:41 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
Hi all,We have one of those 3 lamp ceiling spotlights that
currently
has
3 x50W halogen lamps in it that I would like to change to LED and
one
ofthe dimmer switches that was previously recommended in another
thread.

Do bear in mind that the quality of light from a dimmed LED is
completely different from a tungsten bulb. They don't get
"warmer" as they dim.

They can do with the best designs like the Philips Hues.

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the colour of
the
light though

So they dont just get a dimmer. And you are free to set a whole series
of
intensity
and color settings so the color changes automatically as it dims. And can
name
them too so you can have scenes with to intensity and white you want too.

If yuo like fiddling

Or use what fiddling someone else has done.

I prefer to set such things myself.

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a sunset.
For an LED to simulate that you'd have to set a preset, and then decide
just
how much and for how long, some of us have more interesting things to do.

Or just have a few scenes, one for when you are watching TV when
its dark outside, one for say eating dinner, one for say sitting around
reading books, one for say doing your hobbys or interests or usenet etc.

What a waste of time, has that coem from some advert pushing the tech.
You forgot the one for having a **** , or for using a smartphone, or listening to the radio.

we have LED lighting in our new lab, sounds great until you use it. Auto
brightness too. Looks good but as yet I'm not convinced it's a good idea.

I am with mine. Never use anything else now. Dont even notice the warm
whites the cheapest hue bulbs do that I mostly have in the less used
rooms like the room where all the beer is stored etc. And the bedroom.

So the lights come on when you enter the bedroom so when do the light sgo off in the bedroom when you leave ?

and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely simiulate
a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

But trivial to add those as scenes. Pre programmed by someone else too..

Yeah great but at what price and cost or usability.

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I dont have any multibulb fake
chandeliers

Me niether I replaced mine in the mid 90s then went to GU10 in 2006/7

and love the usability of having all the lights completely
automatic by movement sensors.

I'd find that pointless and irratating. Liek having bedrooom lights come on when I'm in the room trying to sleep.

Tho given they are leds, you can
certainly make a case for just a couple of zones, the main activity
areas and the rest with them either on or off due to the low
electricity consumption.

And because of that I see little point in the living room lights going off when I leave the room for a **** or to make a cuppa.
I don;t want lights flickering on and off as I walk between rooms, I want it evcen less so when I have friends over it's pathetic.

Too early to tell what the life of the leds
used like that will be tho. The base of the color bulbs does get
quite warm in summer.

Well it's a minor interest to me. Even the makers don;t know that why they say up to 50,000 hours. That doesn't mean 50K could be just 1K, and on returning they'll say there was a voltage surge or they got too hot or they were dropped, none of which the warrenty covers.

I dont; buy anything because of the warrenty.