Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 18:33:32 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 18:19:41 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
T i m Wrote in message:
Hi all,We have one of those 3 lamp ceiling spotlights that
currently
has
3 x50W halogen lamps in it that I would like to change to LED
and
one
ofthe dimmer switches that was previously recommended in another
thread.

Do bear in mind that the quality of light from a dimmed LED is
completely different from a tungsten bulb. They don't get
"warmer" as they dim.

They can do with the best designs like the Philips Hues.

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the colour
of
the
light though

So they dont just get a dimmer. And you are free to set a whole
series
of
intensity
and color settings so the color changes automatically as it dims. And
can
name
them too so you can have scenes with to intensity and white you want
too.

If yuo like fiddling

Or use what fiddling someone else has done.

I prefer to set such things myself.

Very easy with IFTTT

but for most turning down the brightness also affect the colour
temperature , a similar thing happens with the sun , you get a sunset.
For an LED to simulate that you'd have to set a preset, and then decide
just
how much and for how long, some of us have more interesting things to
do.

Or just have a few scenes, one for when you are watching TV when
its dark outside, one for say eating dinner, one for say sitting around
reading books, one for say doing your hobbys or interests or usenet etc.

What a waste of time,

Nope, best way to do it. Mostly only use a few intensity and color
temp pairs for the real life situations they have and much easier
to tell it to use a particular scene when it can work it out for itself
from the time of day, what devices like the TV are in use etc.

Much better to just tell the system that you want to turn the
TV on and have it set the lights the way you want them when
watching TV when its dark outside and what you want when
reading a printed book or when looking for something small
on the floor etc.

has that coem from some advert pushing the tech.

Nope, just the best way to do the lights.

we have LED lighting in our new lab, sounds great until you use it.
Auto
brightness too. Looks good but as yet I'm not convinced it's a good
idea.

I am with mine. Never use anything else now. Dont even notice the warm
whites the cheapest hue bulbs do that I mostly have in the less used
rooms like the room where all the beer is stored etc. And the bedroom.

So the lights come on when you enter the bedroom so when
do the light sgo off in the bedroom when you leave ?

After you have been out for a specified time. And they only
come on at all when its dark enough to need lights there.

and perhaps in the future they';l have those that can truely
simiulate
a tungsten bulb but I;ve yet to see that srtting on any menu.

But trivial to add those as scenes. Pre programmed by someone else
too.

Yeah great but at what price and cost or usability.

Yes, the hue system isnt cheap but I dont have any multibulb fake
chandeliers

Me niether I replaced mine in the mid 90s then went to GU10 in 2006/7

You previously claimed that Hue would be too expensive because
you had at least one of those, and said so again in the last few days.

and love the usability of having all the lights
completely automatic by movement sensors.

I'd find that pointless

Clearly not pointless to have the lights come
on instead of having to use the switch.

and irratating.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

Liek having bedrooom lights come on
when I'm in the room trying to sleep.

Trivial to ensure that doesnt happen.

Tho given they are leds, you can certainly make
a case for just a couple of zones, the main activity
areas and the rest with them either on or off due
to the low electricity consumption.

And because of that I see little point in the living room lights
going off when I leave the room for a **** or to make a cuppa.

Mine dont and its trivial to specify how long after it no longer
sees any movement before it turns them off auto. Same with
the kitchen. Trivial to specify a time of no activity seen before
they are turned off. Same with the less commonly used rooms
used for storage etc.

I don;t want lights flickering on and off as I walk between rooms,

Trivial to ensure that they dont.

I want it evcen less so when I have friends over it's pathetic.

Trivial to ensure that too.

Too early to tell what the life of the leds
used like that will be tho. The base of the
color bulbs does get quite warm in summer.

Well it's a minor interest to me. Even the makers
don;t know that why they say up to 50,000 hours.

But it is a consideration if you dont use movement
sensors and just have the lights on all the time.

That doesn't mean 50K could be just 1K, and on returning
they'll say there was a voltage surge or they got too hot or
they were dropped, none of which the warrenty covers.

I dont; buy anything because of the warrenty.

But it is a consideration when deciding on whether
to just leave them on all the time or not.