Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old hardware store

There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 20:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

I know it well! One of my kids (and two grandchildren) live in Fleet.
Every time I go there I feel tempted to ask "Has Mr Gabriel been in today?".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 20:39:41 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

Wow thanks for that 20 min video of the ironmongers in Fleet. There
seems to be no logical order for all the stock, and heaven knows how
the staff remember where anything is. They really ought to number
everything with index and location. Then they could advertise on the
internet before their knowledge is lost.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

My local ironmongers is pretty good http://www.blythandwright.co.uk/
-an essential place to see if you are in North Norfolk

--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 20:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Sorry it's a Facebook link

What's wrong with Facebook links? Are you pandering to some sort of
prejudice? We use Facebook for our community group and it's excellent.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just reading this thread has the smell of these shops in my nose again after
all these years. I guess the last true chain of these was Timothy Whites.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 05/02/2019 20:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

I know it well! One of my kids (and two grandchildren) live in Fleet.
Every time I go there I feel tempted to ask "Has Mr Gabriel been in
today?".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had one where we lived before a kin to the one depicted in the Corbett & Barker sketch. Behind the back wall of the counter was four storeys of store rooms filled with racks. If you wanted something not out at the front it could involve quite a wait as you listened to the counter staffs footsteps disappear into the bowels of stores only to be reassured at sound of footsteps coming back. I was once invited into the bowels when I asked for something for which there was several versions the staff member was trying to avoid several return trips, I was amazed at the lack of labelling with only screw and bolt boxes displaying information yet each member of staff could unerringly go exactly to wherever the item you wanted.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 20:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

"have u got 4 candles?"

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2019 11:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

I think as many of us are not on there it does make it hard to get at the
content without buying in to theirdata harvesting.

It's a public Facegroup page so you can view it without needing a
Facebook account. But no doubt they'll still gather some 'anonymised'
information about you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

Yes my SIL lives in Fleet I have bought Aladdin lamp mantles from them and
cheaper then Ebay
Not many shops like that nowadays

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I think as many of us are not on there it does make it hard to get
at the content without buying in to theirdata harvesting.

They havent harvested any of my data except the fact
that I am into garage sales. Fat lot of use that is to them.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 05/02/2019 20:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Sorry it's a Facebook link

What's wrong with Facebook links? Are you pandering to some sort of
prejudice? We use Facebook for our community group and it's excellent.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Holford Wrote in message:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

My local ironmongers is pretty good http://www.blythandwright.co.uk/
-an essential place to see if you are in North Norfolk

--
Chris Holford

+1
Blyth and Wright - a proper old school hardware store.
--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2019 22:43, Biggles wrote:
Chris Holford Wrote in message:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
My local ironmongers is pretty good http://www.blythandwright.co.uk/
-an essential place to see if you are in North Norfolk

+1
Blyth and Wright - a proper old school hardware store.

If they don't work for you there's Thorns in Norwich.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 11:16:20 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think as many of us are not on there it does make it hard to get at the
content without buying in to theirdata harvesting.
Brian

Agreed Brian. I am not now and never have been a member of fb and have no intention of visiting it in any sense if I can avoid doing so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 21:26, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 11:16:20 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think as many of us are not on there it does make it hard to get at the
content without buying in to theirdata harvesting.
Brian

Agreed Brian. I am not now and never have been a member of fb and have no intention of visiting it in any sense if I can avoid doing so.

The other day I got a message from a friend wishing me a happy birthday.

It took a little while for me to remember I told Farcebook my birth date
was 1/1/1900...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 07/02/2019 21:26, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 11:16:20 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think as many of us are not on there it does make it hard to get at
the
content without buying in to theirdata harvesting.
Brian

Agreed Brian. I am not now and never have been a member of fb and have no
intention of visiting it in any sense if I can avoid doing so.

The other day I got a message from a friend wishing me a happy birthday.

It took a little while for me to remember I told Farcebook my birth date
was 1/1/1900...

I use Roboform to keep track of the unique password per system
and its trivial and automatic to have it keep track of the fake data
you sign up with.