Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_3_] Dave W[_3_] is offline

Default Old hardware store

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 20:39:41 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

There's a fantastic old hardware store just near me.
It has no Internet presence, but I just stumbled across
a Facebook video the BBC made a couple of years ago.
The most obscure thing I've bought from there are
replacement gas mantles for a 1910 gas lamp. When I
asked, somewhat jokingly, they came out with 3 boxes of
different sizes and one matched the holder perfectly.

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but I thought it was worth
sharing...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSurrey/v...55251055345412

Wow thanks for that 20 min video of the ironmongers in Fleet. There
seems to be no logical order for all the stock, and heaven knows how
the staff remember where anything is. They really ought to number
everything with index and location. Then they could advertise on the
internet before their knowledge is lost.
--
Dave W