Posted to alt.home.repair

Default An old-fashioned hardware store

I have an older home, so I spend a lot of time in small, old-time
hardware stores. They are the kinds of places where the employees have
seen it all and done it all. They weren't flipping burgers last week
and trying to get a job in a pizza parlor next week.

I went back to my home town of Cape Girardeau last month and was happy
to see that Suedekum hardware was still in business, although it had
been rebranded as Meyer Supply, after the family that founded it a
century ago (it's still the same family).

If you want to treat, take a look at these pictures:

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-...ekum-hardware/

They still use rolling ladders to get to the high shelves. Nails
pounded in the floor spell out distances for measuring rope and chain.

Nice folks. Glad to see they are still around. Two of the five
customers who came into the store while I was there started out by
saying, "Lowes sent me....."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "ken.steinhoff" wrote:

If you want to treat, take a look at these pictures:

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-...ekum-hardware/

Interesting article - thanks. Nothing on that site seemed to indicate where
in the world we were...Google suggests the state of Missouri.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article
,
"ken.steinhoff" wrote:

If you want to treat, take a look at these pictures:

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-...ekum-hardware/

Interesting article - thanks. Nothing on that site seemed to indicate
where
in the world we were...Google suggests the state of Missouri.

Art

If you had scrolled down the page you would have seen a Lowes bashing thread
already going..But if you are looking for an "atta boy" for not shopping at
large stores , here ya go...Atta boy...Feel better now ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ken.steinhoff" wrote in message

I have an older home, so I spend a lot of time in small, old-time
hardware stores. They are the kinds of places where the employees have
seen it all and done it all. They weren't flipping burgers last week
and trying to get a job in a pizza parlor next week.

We have a place like that nearby, family-owned, some of the employees have
been there for ages. Couple of days ago I bought a new grass catcher for my
reel mower. They not only had them in stock, they were American-made.
Amazing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:54:21 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"ken.steinhoff" wrote in message

I have an older home, so I spend a lot of time in small, old-time
hardware stores. They are the kinds of places where the employees have
seen it all and done it all. They weren't flipping burgers last week
and trying to get a job in a pizza parlor next week.

We have a place like that nearby, family-owned, some of the employees have
been there for ages. Couple of days ago I bought a new grass catcher for my
reel mower. They not only had them in stock, they were American-made.
Amazing.

Some homes built around here date from the 40's & 50's.

One day I was looking for a part (forget), not that old but decided to
drive there. It is an old Ace Hardware store. Not only did they have
the part but the guy walked right to the storage area - not on the
shelves and brought it back to me.

In a real pinch I go there.. They know their business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

We have a place like that nearby, family-owned, some of the employees have
been there for ages. Couple of days ago I bought a new grass catcher for
my
reel mower. They not only had them in stock, they were American-made.
Amazing.

Some homes built around here date from the 40's & 50's.

One day I was looking for a part (forget), not that old but decided to
drive there. It is an old Ace Hardware store. Not only did they have
the part but the guy walked right to the storage area - not on the
shelves and brought it back to me.

In a real pinch I go there.. They know their business.

I go to our local family-owned place first, I'll even pay a little more
there rather than go to Hell Depot because I want to keep the family place
in business. The fun part is when they know what kind of plumbing fixture
you need based on which street your house is on since they know when the
house was built based on where it is--that's almost spooky.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article
,
"ken.steinhoff" wrote:

If you want to treat, take a look at these pictures:

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-...ekum-hardware/

Interesting article - thanks. Nothing on that site seemed to
indicate where
in the world we were...Google suggests the state of Missouri.

Art

"Coming of Age in Cape Girardeau"

This, at the top of the page, not to mention 10 other spots in the story and
captions, should tell you enough. You must not be a Republican, otherwise
you would surely know (from tedious repetition) that it's Rush Limbaugh's
hometown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:38:20 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I'll buy from the local Mom and Pop before Home Despot any time.
Usually costs me more, but they know what I need, they have it, and
generally they stand behind it. The time it saves me, even at half
minimum wage, covers the difference in gost (generally speeking)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:38:20 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I use both...It all depends on what I'm after , but I still like walking
around Home Depot with SWMBO and talking about things we would like to do
while actually seeing the stuff..GREAT idea place....Something you can't do
at the little places where everything is "out back or in an old out
building" ... Do I still get an "atta boy" ???