Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint for Ply

I've got to the point where I'm considering painting the ply cladding in
my new man cave (completion is in sight - we're wk20 of a 12wk build,
doubtless due to all the rain we had this year)

Will ordinary emulsion work? Will it need thinning the way it does on
new plasterboard?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
I've got to the point where I'm considering painting the ply cladding in
my new man cave (completion is in sight - we're wk20 of a 12wk build,
doubtless due to all the rain we had this year)

Will ordinary emulsion work? Will it need thinning the way it does on
new plasterboard?

Andy

Being water based it will raise the grain to differing degrees depending
on the quality of the ply.
L'd dilute the emulsion about 10% - any more and it will very messy to
apply.

Allow to dry fully and de-nib it with 180-240 grit then a full strength
coat maybe two depending on the quality of the paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/18 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:
I've got to the point where I'm considering painting the ply cladding in
my new man cave (completion is in sight - we're wk20 of a 12wk build,
doubtless due to all the rain we had this year)

Will ordinary emulsion work? Will it need thinning the way it does on
new plasterboard?

Andy

emulsion is good. Don't thin it too much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2018 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:
I've got to the point where I'm considering painting the ply cladding in
my new man cave (completion is in sight - we're wk20 of a 12wk build,
doubtless due to all the rain we had this year)

Will ordinary emulsion work? Will it need thinning the way it does on
new plasterboard?

Ordinary emulsion will work fine... Looked ok even on the cheap
shuttering ply I used to line my workshop.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2018 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/08/2018 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:
I've got to the point where I'm considering painting the ply cladding
in my new man cave (completion is in sight - we're wk20 of a 12wk
build, doubtless due to all the rain we had this year)

Will ordinary emulsion work? Will it need thinning the way it does on
new plasterboard?

Ordinary emulsion will work fine... Looked ok even on the cheap
shuttering plyÂ* I used to line my workshop.

+1, I have visible indoor shelving etc like this. Sanded down after
first coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2018 21:39, newshound wrote:
On 20/08/2018 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/08/2018 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:
I've got to the point where I'm considering painting the ply cladding
in my new man cave (completion is in sight - we're wk20 of a 12wk
build, doubtless due to all the rain we had this year)

Will ordinary emulsion work? Will it need thinning the way it does on
new plasterboard?

Ordinary emulsion will work fine... Looked ok even on the cheap
shuttering plyÂ* I used to line my workshop.

+1, I have visible indoor shelving etc like this. Sanded down after
first coat.

Thanks everyone.

I have a dust mask (in storage, with most of my tools) I think this will
call for it!

Andy