Bay Area Dave

Default birch ply vs Baltic birch ply

if you are talking the 12 mm stuff, isn't that a tad thin
for a cabinet carcass (carcase)? How's 'bout using 5/8"
material?

dave

Leonard Lopez wrote:

Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the veneer core
birch over the Baltic or Finnish brich for cases in kitchen cabinets?

Len

George

Baltic is veneer core, isn't it?

Do you mean lumber core, or just the difference in number of veneer plies?
I like lumber core, because it's lighter and takes edge treatment better. I
think it's still cheaper than Baltic birch, as well.

"Leonard Lopez" wrote in message
Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the veneer core
birch over the Baltic or Finnish brich for cases in kitchen cabinets?

Len

Leon

"Leonard Lopez" wrote in message
Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the veneer core
birch over the Baltic or Finnish brich for cases in kitchen cabinets?

Len

The advantage may be price. I bought 3/4" Birch plywood for $23.95 per
sheet. 3/4" Baltic Birch will probably cost you more per sheet.

Baltic Birch comes in 5' square sheets. 25 square feet vs. 32 square feet
for regular Birch veneer plywood.

The true Baltic Birch plywood tends to be without voids in the inner layers.
The Baltic Birch is ALL Birch in all ply's.

I would opt for regular Birch 4x8 sheets of plywood if you are going to
paint the cabinets.

Leonard Lopez

Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the veneer core
birch over the Baltic or Finnish brich for cases in kitchen cabinets?

Len

BeerBoy

The baltic birch I get around here has a lot more plys than normal plywoods
and supposedly less voids. It also comes in 5' x 5' sheets and is quite
pricey compared to normal 4' x 8' sheets of birch. I've used the Baltic for
some jigs but the price would keep me from using it on bigger projects.

"Leonard Lopez" wrote in message
Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the veneer core
birch over the Baltic or Finnish brich for cases in kitchen cabinets?

Len

Lew Hodgett

"Rick Samuel"
Baltic Birch does come in 5/8", just not carried in most places

Absolutely, it is 11 ply material used by the die cutting industry to make
temporary tooling.

Available in both Finnish which uses exterior glue and "Baltic" which is
usually Russian and uses interior glue.

BTW, you learn this kind of stuff when your landlord is a die cutting house.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures