Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Meters - the Telegraph's take

On Friday, 3 August 2018 10:15:49 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"bert" wrote in message ...

There is an infinite supply of electricity in the universe. All you have to do is
rotate a piece of wire in a magnetic field FFS.

Rotating a piece of wire requires energy.

More than is produced by rotating the wire.

Then you rotate several bits of wire to give you the energy for that one.
;-)

No it's much easier than that you rotate the field. ;-)

Something to do with crop rotation IIRC ;-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 23:09:25 -0700, harry wrote:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...52/Will-smart-

meter-work-solar-panels.html

'The solar panel system, also called photovoltaics (PV), means the panels
can store the suns energy and convert it into electricity to power your
home.'

Good to see the journo is so knowledgeable!

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes
On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 21:02:59 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article ,
writes
On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 00:04:36 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 31/07/2018 18:41, tim... wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/07/2018 11:20, Max Demian wrote:
On 30/07/2018 23:42, Nick Odell wrote:

Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

0
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...tricity-every/

I don't see the point (other than to make more money) as, if you
don't know you are paying more for electricity, you can't change your
usage.

Presumably the display on the smart meter will show the spot price,
and give a colour coded easy to read "Cheap, average, expensive" kind
of quick indication.

but 99% of the time you wont be able to do anything to change your usage
when the spot price changes

What if the technology does it for them and does not offer the choice?

Its the usual bait and switch - get the punters to buy in with the
promise of discounts, and when its too late, they work out there are
strings.

Still at least it could all be "joined up", so when you kid's jumper is
still wet in the morning because the system decided not not run the
tumble drier when you wanted it, you won't have to worry since it also
used too much of the power in your EV and now you have not got the range
to drive them to school anyway ;-)

Are you going to stop the washing machine mid cycle, or stop cooking
dinner, or stop watching your favourite TV program, all on zero notice?

Personally, no. However I expect that some people were sold on the idea
that this kind of scheme would make intermittent power generation
somehow more "useful", by allowing automatic "demand management".

The first wave of demand management will be for things like immersion
heaters, freezers, washing machines, dishwashers. Whether it will
produce much saving for the system overall is a fair question. A later
wave could cover all sorts of things, changes in background lighting,
perhaps going from left on to PIR operation etc etc. The billions of £
of equipment could save us at least tuppence.

NT

The only reason we need demand management is because of the obsession
with stupid renewables. There is an infinite supply of electricity in
the universe. All you have to do is rotate a piece of wire in a magnetic
field FFS. The only overhead is the distribution infrastructure which
amounts to stringing a few more wires across the countryside on pylons
and a few transformers.
I have throughout my lifetime had a continuous supply of the stuff as
much as I wanted whenever I wanted it. You call this progress?
Tell the greens to go **** themselves and build nukes.
--
bert

You don't get anything for nothing ****-fer-brains.