Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curent electrical regulations

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 12 July 2018 14:55:13 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr wrote on 12/07/2018 :

It needs an electrical inspection every 5 years, and anything that
fails to meet current standard at those times be brought within
spec. So yes.

Think about it, no it does not. Imagine having to rewire a property
every five years, just to bring it up to current standards.
Regulations are not applied retro spectively. What met regulations at
the time it was installed, remains satisfactory now. Though it might
be advisable to bring an installation more up to date with current
regulations.

OK. I can let the place with a 1930s electrical system then? If you say
so.

For tenants? Of course. They should be grateful it's not just oil lamps.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I know 2 houses that still have some 1930s electrical stuff installed in
them. I don't doubt there are others.

Still with the original fusebox?

Most will have had power sockets installed at a later date. And the CU
usually changed at that time. So often just the original lighting circuits.

A totally original untouched 30s installation would be pretty rare.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:14:11 +0100, Robin wrote:

Yes. Which I is why I mentioned that this was a devolved matter for
Scotland, Wales and NI. And made clear where I was referring to
England. You have then very successfully caught me out by using "we"
without any clue as to which jurisdiction you had in mind. Well done.

I see no need to respond in detail as I don't think we disagree
fundamentally. I am Scottish and live in Scotland. I nonetheless
supported England in the World Cup, as part of the 'family'. My
intention was simply to point out that there are four parts of the UK,
not to start a demand for Indyref 2. As a landlord myself, I find it
quite interesting that there are different ideas as to what is needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 00:25:30 +0100, Steve Walker

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Am I right in thinking that no matter how dysfunctional or prone to
nuisance tripping it is, a 30mA whole house RCD still meets current
regulations?

Why would anyone claiming to have electronic skills put up with an RCD
constantly tripping?

Is it constantly or frequently? Ours trips more often than I'd like, but
with a ridiculous number of electronic devices with filters that leak to
earth in our house, there is not a lot of margin and I can't afford to
go through the hassle of replacing the CU to allow for splitting between
two RCDs or switching to RCBOs.

I would strongly recommend RCBOs if within budget. My electrician was
astonished at first but when the cost was less than he had anticipated
quite impressed: 'way to go'. It means one fault does not bring down
the whole system. It should mean my computer is protected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:02:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 00:47:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

BTW, I've got lots of electronics in this house too. And never once had a
nuisance trip.

I can't remember having one either.

Alhough I do have a split load unit, all the electronic
stuff is on the RCD side.

Yup. I think I only have the lights on the non RCD side but it's been
a while since I re-wired this house.

Quite. So unless you're running some sort of computer farm from your
house, a single RCD will only do 'nuisance trips' when there is a fault or
faults.

Perish the thought you should actually find out what that fault is.

When I had a fault it was the washing machine to blame. Since the
whole flat tripped out at the start of the spin cycle, it was an easy
diagnosis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :
OK. I can let the place with a 1930s electrical system then? If you say
so.

For tenants? Of course. They should be grateful it's not just oil lamps.

Best to ignore him, he makes things up Þ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry explained on 13/07/2018 :
no wooden CU or wood backed CU meets current regs.

Including the rental-inspection regs?

I would hope any inspection would be deem it to be in a dangerous
condition. There is a big difference between not to current regs and in
a dangerous condition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) has brought this to us :
BTW, I've got lots of electronics in this house too. And never once had a
nuisance trip. Although I do have a split load unit, all the electronic
stuff is on the RCD side.

Electronics are not really the problem, it is mains filtering which is
causes RCD trips - but only when there are lots of them, PC's being the
worst culprit and TV's. I have an incredible amount of electronics here
and never suffered an RCD trip without it being due to some other
cause.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 10:41:22 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
01:58:18 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, tabbypurr remarked:
On Friday, 13 July 2018 08:45:18 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:49:10 on
Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Tim Watts remarked:

As a digression, I believe the rules have now changed so a consumer
unit must be of metal construction. I assume this too is not
retrospective.

Not quite:

Must be non combustible or contained in a non combustible enclosure.

(Not sure of the exact wording but basically that ^^)

However, that has been implemented as "metal" for the most part.

Thus a really old wooden one is a no-no I suppose?

no wooden CU or wood backed CU meets current regs.

Including the rental-inspection regs?

Please show us a link to such a thing

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 11:08:21 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I know 2 houses that still have some 1930s electrical stuff installed in
them. I don't doubt there are others.

Still with the original fusebox?

Most will have had power sockets installed at a later date. And the CU
usually changed at that time. So often just the original lighting circuits.

A totally original untouched 30s installation would be pretty rare.

Untouched is rare, but there are still many properties with partly 1930s systems still in use. Just removed some 30s stuff a few days ago.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 13:44:07 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that tabbypurr formulated :

I know 2 houses that still have some 1930s electrical stuff installed in
them. I don't doubt there are others.

Might they be preserved museum homes,

not in the slightest

because it sounds extremely
unlikely that any home would survive with an installation dating from
the first installations of electricity?

A 1930's installation might only provide a single 5 or 15 amp socket in
the entire home, which would make living in it rather dire and
difficult in 2018 for most people.

I see you're not willing to admit to talking rubbish. (Only days ago I posted pics of 1930s electrical gear still in use.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
[...]

Do you really have so many trips? Of any sort?
Only thing I get here is the occasional MCB trip when a lamp blows.

If your computer is that important, it should be on a dedicated radial
circuit. Not plugged into a GP ring.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 14:08:39 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 13/07/2018 13:57, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 13 July 2018 10:41:22 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
01:58:18 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, tabbypurr remarked:
On Friday, 13 July 2018 08:45:18 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:49:10 on
Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Tim Watts remarked:

As a digression, I believe the rules have now changed so a consumer
unit must be of metal construction. I assume this too is not
retrospective.

Not quite:

Must be non combustible or contained in a non combustible enclosure.

(Not sure of the exact wording but basically that ^^)

However, that has been implemented as "metal" for the most part.

Thus a really old wooden one is a no-no I suppose?

no wooden CU or wood backed CU meets current regs.

Including the rental-inspection regs?

Please show us a link to such a thing

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made

(at para. 3)

that does not give any reason to believe there are any separate electrical regs for rented housing.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

BTW, I've got lots of electronics in this house too. And never once had a
nuisance trip.

I can't remember having one either.

Alhough I do have a split load unit, all the electronic
stuff is on the RCD side.

Yup. I think I only have the lights on the non RCD side but it's been
a while since I re-wired this house.

Quite. So unless you're running some sort of computer farm from your
house, a single RCD will only do 'nuisance trips' when there is a fault or
faults.

Three kids, five to seven computers running at times, two servers at the
moment, two printers, a couple of set-top boxes, X-box, etc. etc. It
soons adds up to a lot of leakage through all those filters.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:47:39 on Fri, 13 Jul
2018, Harry Bloomfield remarked:
Roland Perry explained on 13/07/2018 :
no wooden CU or wood backed CU meets current regs.

Including the rental-inspection regs?

I would hope any inspection would be deem it to be in a dangerous
condition. There is a big difference between not to current regs and in
a dangerous condition.

Thus your proposition is that "dangerous condition" for a box that's
clearly survived 80+ years is disjoint from what regs specify as
non-dangerous for new installations?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:05:50 on Fri, 13 Jul
2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

If your computer is that important, it should be on a dedicated radial
circuit. Not plugged into a GP ring.

What perhaps was called a "clean circuit". The house I moved into in
1989, had one to an office in an extension.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Roland Perry explained on 13/07/2018 :

no wooden CU or wood backed CU meets current regs.

Including the rental-inspection regs?

I would hope any inspection would be deem it to be in a dangerous
condition.

My parents 1968 house still has a wooden framed wylex fuse board same as
my house had, it's not been rewired in that time, has had the odd spur
added, and henley block inserted between meter and fuseboard to feed
dad's pottery shed, but no MCBs or RCDs.

I'm sure an inspection would highlight many things that could be
improved, but if it hasn't burnt down in 50 years it's hardly dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) has brought this to us :
BTW, I've got lots of electronics in this house too. And never once had a
nuisance trip. Although I do have a split load unit, all the electronic
stuff is on the RCD side.

Electronics are not really the problem, it is mains filtering which is
causes RCD trips - but only when there are lots of them, PC's being the
worst culprit and TV's. I have an incredible amount of electronics here
and never suffered an RCD trip without it being due to some other
cause.

Generally SWPS. Which just about everything has these days.

But it's more likely to be a heating element of some sort that causes a
trip. The sort with an earthed outer case and the element insulated with a
mineral substance. Moisture getting into that causes it to 'leak'. Which
may not happen the second it is switched on.

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I know 2 houses that still have some 1930s electrical stuff
installed in them. I don't doubt there are others.

Still with the original fusebox?

Most will have had power sockets installed at a later date. And the CU
usually changed at that time. So often just the original lighting
circuits.

A totally original untouched 30s installation would be pretty rare.

Untouched is rare, but there are still many properties with partly 1930s
systems still in use. Just removed some 30s stuff a few days ago.

But even that can be RCD protected so not quite as dangerous as you'd
think.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Friday, 13 July 2018 14:08:39 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made
(at para. 3)

that does not give any reason to believe there are any separate electrical regs for rented housing.

same regs, but a requirement that HMOs *must* have an inspection every 5
years, whereas I doubt most normal homes have one even every 10 years as
"recommended", I doubt they even get one every time they change hands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:05:50 on Fri, 13 Jul
2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

If your computer is that important, it should be on a dedicated radial
circuit. Not plugged into a GP ring.

What perhaps was called a "clean circuit". The house I moved into in
1989, had one to an office in an extension.

When I re-wired this house on moving in - in the '70s - I added one for
the sound system. Rather before computers were common. You might be
surprised how much noise there can be on a ring.

--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:38:59 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:09:02 on Fri, 13 Jul
2018, Harry Bloomfield remarked:
Roland Perry wrote :
What degree of inspection occurs when a smart meter is fitted
(genuine question)? In other words is the presence of a
recently-fitted smart meter any indication the rest of the
installation is reasonably OK?

(any house, not just rental ones).

ps What's a SEAP 2001-V, almost no online footprint compared to
the 2000-V

There is no inspection, nor are they qualified to inspect.

I saw my first smart-metered installation this week (yes, I should get
out more) and I wondered if they'd at least do an earth leakage test on
a system which only had old-fashioned wired fuses.

They are replacing the meter not checking the premises wiring. The most you
could reasonably expect is a phasing check pre and post install with a plug in
tester and a visual on the integrity of the main earth termination at the cable
head end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

BTW, I've got lots of electronics in this house too. And never once had a
nuisance trip.

I can't remember having one either.

Alhough I do have a split load unit, all the electronic
stuff is on the RCD side.

Yup. I think I only have the lights on the non RCD side but it's been
a while since I re-wired this house.

Quite. So unless you're running some sort of computer farm from your
house, a single RCD will only do 'nuisance trips' when there is a fault or
faults.

That is probably over optimistic in most cases. When you add leakage
from all the circuits, allow for the range of tripping thresholds of the
RCD and then allow for transient disturbances, it would have to be a
pretty small installation to not suffer the occasional trip with just a
single RCD.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:

They are replacing the meter not checking the premises wiring. The most you
could reasonably expect is a phasing check pre and post install with a plug in
tester and a visual on the integrity of the main earth termination at the cable
head end.

That's about all they did here, other than notice I'd improved the tails
from 16mm to 25mm, so they upped the cut-out fuse from 60A to 80A.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns formulated the question :
My parents 1968 house still has a wooden framed wylex fuse board same as my
house had, it's not been rewired in that time, has had the odd spur added,
and henley block inserted between meter and fuseboard to feed dad's pottery
shed, but no MCBs or RCDs.

I'm sure an inspection would highlight many things that could be improved,
but if it hasn't burnt down in 50 years it's hardly dangerous.

Where do you draw the line. I would certainly condemn any 1930's
installation. A 1968 one, in reasonable condition - probably not, the
wiring being plastic will not have deteriorated, it should be earthed
throughout and earth bonded etc..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Quite. So unless you're running some sort of computer farm from your
house, a single RCD will only do 'nuisance trips' when there is a
fault or faults.

That is probably over optimistic in most cases. When you add leakage
from all the circuits, allow for the range of tripping thresholds of the
RCD and then allow for transient disturbances, it would have to be a
pretty small installation to not suffer the occasional trip with just a
single RCD.

From electronic equipment?

All I can say is it doesn't happen here. But nothing with a heating
element here is RCD protected.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:05:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
[...]

Actually no. One lamp since I replaced my dodgy washing machine.

If your computer is that important, it should be on a dedicated radial
circuit. Not plugged into a GP ring.

It is. One of the benefits of RCBOs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW expressed precisely :
Not in my experience of visiting houses and doing electrical work.

Closer to 50% probably less.

Obviously, you will be called to rewire properties and the liklehood is
that you will attend many more which desperately need rewiring - not
really much point in your going otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Andy Burns formulated the question :
My parents 1968 house still has a wooden framed wylex fuse board same as
my house had, it's not been rewired in that time, has had the odd spur
added, and henley block inserted between meter and fuseboard to feed
dad's pottery shed, but no MCBs or RCDs.

I'm sure an inspection would highlight many things that could be
improved, but if it hasn't burnt down in 50 years it's hardly dangerous.

Where do you draw the line. I would certainly condemn any 1930's
installation.

But clearly those doing the legally required inspection don't do that.

A 1968 one, in reasonable condition - probably not, the wiring being
plastic will not have deteriorated, it should be earthed throughout and
earth bonded etc..

But prior to that may well still be legally fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/07/2018 20:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW expressed precisely :
Not in my experience of visiting houses and doing electrical work.

Closer to 50% probably less.

Obviously, you will be called to rewire properties and the liklehood is
that you will attend many more which desperately need rewiring - not
really much point in your going otherwise.

EICR, extensions, new kitchens, disabled shower rooms etc.

Not for rewires.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 15:28:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

I know 2 houses that still have some 1930s electrical stuff
installed in them. I don't doubt there are others.

Still with the original fusebox?

Most will have had power sockets installed at a later date. And the CU
usually changed at that time. So often just the original lighting
circuits.

A totally original untouched 30s installation would be pretty rare.

Untouched is rare, but there are still many properties with partly 1930s
systems still in use. Just removed some 30s stuff a few days ago.

But even that can be RCD protected so not quite as dangerous as you'd
think.

normally it's not though.
And it would be very hard to find a spark that would do that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Now it may be that I'm expecting too much from the drafters.* But that
use of "deemed to be" to me means that there would otherwise be room for
argument that steel is a *not* a non-combustible material for the
purposes of 421.1.201.

Don't store your thermic lance in the meter cupboard ...

....Mrs Worthington...
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 16:09:06 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns formulated the question :
My parents 1968 house still has a wooden framed wylex fuse board same as my
house had, it's not been rewired in that time, has had the odd spur added,
and henley block inserted between meter and fuseboard to feed dad's pottery
shed, but no MCBs or RCDs.

I'm sure an inspection would highlight many things that could be improved,
but if it hasn't burnt down in 50 years it's hardly dangerous.

Where do you draw the line. I would certainly condemn any 1930's
installation. A 1968 one, in reasonable condition - probably not, the
wiring being plastic will not have deteriorated, it should be earthed
throughout and earth bonded etc..

earth bonding is usually missing in 60s, 70s & lots of 80s installs. Any more gems of wisdom for us?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Quite. So unless you're running some sort of computer farm from your
house, a single RCD will only do 'nuisance trips' when there is a
fault or faults.

That is probably over optimistic in most cases. When you add leakage
from all the circuits, allow for the range of tripping thresholds of the
RCD and then allow for transient disturbances, it would have to be a
pretty small installation to not suffer the occasional trip with just a
single RCD.

From electronic equipment?

All I can say is it doesn't happen here. But nothing with a heating
element here is RCD protected.

That's the problem with "whole house" RCDs - even the circuits that
gain little benefit from protection like immersion heaters and cookers
get lumped in with everything else on the same RCD.

--
Cheers,

John.