Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glyphosate and neighbours

On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown Wrote in message:
On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has to
hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.

Unless being used to thin trees where it is applied to cuts in
the bark not the leaves.

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/06/2018 16:31, Jim K wrote:
Scott Wrote in message:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:05:34 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 10:14 22 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 06:41:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/06/18 22:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Really, you all need to get together and decide what you want to
do with the garden, and who does which bits of the work.
Reminds me of a dovoce lawyer.

"What you need to do is sit down and negortiate a settlement"

"If It had ever been possible to sit down and negotiate a
settlement there would be no divorce...."

Indeed ... I could write a book about it.

Three absentee landlords. One owner unfit to carry out gardening.
One nervous about going into the rear garden on her own. One
hardly ever seen and listens to music on headphones. One hates
gardening. Person on the ground floor can't stand the person on
the first floor. Person on the second floor supports the person on
the first floor. Person on the second floor thinks everyone is
incompetent. I tend to agree with that viewpoint. Nearly
everyone pleads shortage of money. One seems to view maintenance
as a bourgois conspiracy.

We have roof repairs outstanding but no agreement to carry out the
work. I have sent a 'project fear' letter pointing out that any
future damage is highly unlikely to be met by insurers. I do not
want to open a second front on gardening.

My aim is a 'cheap and cheerful' fix without consent to make the
rear garden more presentable and to preserve the opportunity to
sell without having to explain the state of the garden. To that
end I plan to obliterate the weeds and plant some form of robust
ground cover plants. This is a 'metre margin'. The grass can
stay where it is.

Reminds me of a conveyancing lawyer:
"At least in a divorce the parties want an end-point. With a
neighbour dispute parties are more determined and there is less
incentive to settle. These disputes are usually only resolved
when one party moves."

Agreeing on how to deal with a shared garden is a nightmare. There
sometimes seems to be more opinions than parties involved.

Surely there is an obligation on the parties to pay costs incurred
by their representative or by the management company?

Yes, but we are 'self-factored' meaning the building is managed by the
residents, who at the last meeting split 4-4 on the vote. This was
for roof repairs where some thought the first bidder was too cheap and
others thought the second bidder was too expensive. We therefore did
not have the five votes needed for a decision.

Put your own quote in & sub it to the cheapest.

Pure class

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:

wrote:

[...]

;-) :-D
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 22/06/18 16:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Scott pretended :
It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

You could always write a rude word in the grass, with weed killer. Best
done when all are in bed.

Back to glyphosate. Takes a while to "develop"

Some distant friends were getting peed off with a local
helicopterist
so they laughed heartily when some wag drew in
glyphosate an enormous cock & balls on the field of grass that
was the copters "final approach"...

I think they should also underplant with various seasonal bulbs &
maybe a spray of appropriately placed snowdrops..

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister Wrote in message:
On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.

I thought most brands had the evil adjuvants & surfactants already
in but I will have a trial next time.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

Where do you get 'copper nails' from? I'd guess they're quite
difficult to knock in too as copper is decidedly soft.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Where do you get 'copper nails' from?

Amazon marketplace

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-21, Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

It's not entirely fallacious. The people who owned this house before us
mounted a tap on a cherry tree using brass screws and that was making
the tree rather poorly. Admittedly, it wasn't dying.

Brass != Copper?

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-21, Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

It's not entirely fallacious. The people who owned this house before us
mounted a tap on a cherry tree using brass screws and that was making
the tree rather poorly. Admittedly, it wasn't dying.

Brass != Copper?

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.

SteveW

Yerss.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.

I thought most brands had the evil adjuvants & surfactants already
in but I will have a trial next time.
--

I thought that too. In fact the concentrated stuff looks like washing
up liquid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.

I thought most brands had the evil adjuvants & surfactants already
in but I will have a trial next time.
--

I thought that too. In fact the concentrated stuff looks like washing
up liquid.

Tell them that's what it is :-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.

I thought most brands had the evil adjuvants & surfactants already
in but I will have a trial next time.
--

I thought that too. In fact the concentrated stuff looks like washing
up liquid.

Tell them that's what it is :-)
--

Ecover of course :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.

I thought most brands had the evil adjuvants & surfactants already
in but I will have a trial next time.

They do. In fact the surfactants in commercial formulations are way more
dangerous than the active ingredient. But the fact remains that holly
and ivy waxy coats can resist them comfortably. I am told that cacti can
as well but I have never been brave enough to try it on any of mine.

I can believe that cutting the mix with paraffin might work.
ISTR SBK does a bit better against the awkward squad.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

Where do you get 'copper nails' from? I'd guess they're quite
difficult to knock in too as copper is decidedly soft.

Only if it is very pure, and not if it is cold-worked. Or perhaps
"copper" nails are actually bronze? 5% tin won't add much to the cost
but will make them as strong as steel.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 18:35, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 21:26, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has
to hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

TBH I never looked at was in the weedkiller. I know that it killed a
16ft conifer in a year just by pouring it on or around the roots. Well
dead enough just that they had to cut it down.

Doesn't that sound more like SBK?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2018 6:41 PM, Jim K wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Keep at them they will succumb ;-)

A drop of washing-up liquid will help. Those leaves have a waxy surface,
the detergent helps the glyphosate to make contact with the leaf surface.

I thought most brands had the evil adjuvants & surfactants already
in but I will have a trial next time.
--
I thought that too. In fact the concentrated stuff looks like washing
up liquid.

Tell them that's what it is :-)
--

Ecover of course :-)

Au natrel ;-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-21, Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

It's not entirely fallacious. The people who owned this house before us
mounted a tap on a cherry tree using brass screws and that was making
the tree rather poorly. Admittedly, it wasn't dying.

Brass != Copper?

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.

Yerss.

If anything brass is slightly more reactive than copper so it will do
the same thing. ISTR copper inhibits some enzymes in trees that prevent
various fungal rots from gaining a hold. The same applies to tree stumps
that you want to be rid of without digging them out. Extra nitrogen also
speeds up the decomposition and you can still buy rootout under another
name as a compost accelerator. Still pretty slow for a big stump.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-21, Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

It's not entirely fallacious. The people who owned this house before us
mounted a tap on a cherry tree using brass screws and that was making
the tree rather poorly. Admittedly, it wasn't dying.

Brass != Copper?

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.

Yerss.

If anything brass is slightly more reactive than copper so it will do
the same thing.

?? Just because it's got copper in it?!

Brass is an alloy not a mixture...

E.g. Brass screws seem to last extremely un-reactively, esp
outdoors, next to no corrosion or leaching.

Copper wire can be added onto roof ridges etc purposely to leach
to kill mosses etc on the pitches of the roof...

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/06/18 15:52, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:05:34 +0100, pamela wrote:

Surely there is an obligation on the parties to pay costs incurred
by their representative or by the management company?

Yes, but we are 'self-factored' meaning the building is managed by the
residents, who at the last meeting split 4-4 on the vote. This was
for roof repairs where some thought the first bidder was too cheap and
others thought the second bidder was too expensive. We therefore did
not have the five votes needed for a decision.

I am so glad that after 30 years I have moved to a freehold house and no
longer have to deal with that sort of thing.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:49:20 +0100, bert wrote:

In article , Scott
writes
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 18:21:42 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 18:00:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.

Eco warriors!

What do they wash their clothes & dishes with?

Ecover.

Ecover is not as green as it seems.

I wondered. Produced in the EU for a company in Belgium for sale in
the UK. However, in advertising it it not called 'selling the dream'
or something like that?