Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glyphosate and neighbours

Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate. Can I tell them
I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must have
been the drought that killed the weeds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/06/2018 16:55, Scott wrote:
Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate. Can I tell them
I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must have
been the drought that killed the weeds.

You could just spray some fertiliser I bought from the Pound Shop. God
knows what's in it, but it kills everything it touches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 4:55:07 PM UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate. Can I tell them
I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must have
been the drought that killed the weeds.

Why tell them anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" wrote in message
Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate. Can I tell them
I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must have
been the drought that killed the weeds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 16:55:07 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate. Can I tell them
I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must have
been the drought that killed the weeds.

It's an approved weedkiller.
Just tell them to **** off.

Soil contact inactivates it.

Keep away from ponds. The surfactants bugger up wildlife.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:29:56 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 16:55 21 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate.

The object to your own use of it?

Can I tell
them I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must
have been the drought that killed the weeds.

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 18:00:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.

Eco warriors!

What do they wash their clothes & dishes with?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.

Eco warriors!

What do they wash their clothes & dishes with?

Ecover.

Do they pour the outflow on their plants?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless
they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.

Chemicals into the environment.

They do that every time they breath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless
they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case
leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.

Eco warriors!

What do they wash their clothes & dishes with?

That utterly obscene chemical that can kill you stone dead, water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has to
hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 05:45:16 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

....and this senile cretin HAD to **** also in this thread! tsk

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 05:32:55 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless
they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.

Chemicals into the environment.

They do that every time they breath.

Pillock!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"I'm not the least surprised. The man is a conspicuous and unashamed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Scott
writes

wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.

Eco warriors!

What do they wash their clothes & dishes with?

Ecover.

Ecover is not as green as it seems.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott writes:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:29:56 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 16:55 21 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate.

The object to your own use of it?

Can I tell
them I have bought the special organic version - it's made of
organophosphorus :-)

There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must
have been the drought that killed the weeds.

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Why are you using it on the garden?
Is this selective by area, or over the whole plot?
(It might not be the right product for the task.)

Really, you all need to get together and decide what you want to
do with the garden, and who does which bits of the work. If there's
a large area of weeds to be cleared, you can volunteer to do it with
glyphosate, and they might instead offer to do it with a cultivator
(or get a "man" in), in which case you could accept that alternative
as it gets you off the hook for that.
What is the intended use of that area afterwards?
Who is going to prepare it?
Who is going to maintain it?
Do you collectively have a mower? (Perhaps you all need to chip in for one.)

Invite them to a meeting, and those who show up and offer to do the
work get to decide. As a shared garden, you probably don't have the
right to use any chemicals on it without their approval.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 20:21:29 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Nope

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 21:26:37 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has to
hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Not if you mix it with paraffin instead of water.
Use very sparingly and paint onto leaves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/18 22:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Really, you all need to get together and decide what you want to
do with the garden, and who does which bits of the work.

Reminds me of a dovoce lawyer.

"What you need to do is sit down and negortiate a settlement"

"If It had ever been possible to sit down and negotiate a settlement
there would be no divorce...."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Leave the weeds to grow then ;-)

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has to
hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

Not if you mix it with paraffin instead of water.
Use very sparingly and paint onto leaves.

I was talking of mass application to kill rough ground. Even the
smallest holly and ivy seedlings just shrug it off and are left alive.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 06:41:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/06/18 22:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Really, you all need to get together and decide what you want to
do with the garden, and who does which bits of the work.

Reminds me of a dovoce lawyer.

"What you need to do is sit down and negortiate a settlement"

"If It had ever been possible to sit down and negotiate a settlement
there would be no divorce...."

Indeed ... I could write a book about it.

Three absentee landlords. One owner unfit to carry out gardening. One
nervous about going into the rear garden on her own. One hardly ever
seen and listens to music on headphones. One hates gardening. Person
on the ground floor can't stand the person on the first floor. Person
on the second floor supports the person on the first floor. Person on
the second floor thinks everyone is incompetent. I tend to agree with
that viewpoint. Nearly everyone pleads shortage of money. One seems
to view maintenance as a bourgois conspiracy.

We have roof repairs outstanding but no agreement to carry out the
work. I have sent a 'project fear' letter pointing out that any
future damage is highly unlikely to be met by insurers. I do not want
to open a second front on gardening.

My aim is a 'cheap and cheerful' fix without consent to make the rear
garden more presentable and to preserve the opportunity to sell
without having to explain the state of the garden. To that end I plan
to obliterate the weeds and plant some form of robust ground cover
plants. This is a 'metre margin'. The grass can stay where it is.

Reminds me of a conveyancing lawyer:
"At least in a divorce the parties want an end-point. With a
neighbour dispute parties are more determined and there is less
incentive to settle. These disputes are usually only resolved when
one party moves."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/18 10:14, Scott wrote:
Reminds me of a conveyancing lawyer:
"At least in a divorce the parties want an end-point.

Sadly untrue.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 10:14:22 +0100, Scott

Sorry, person on the first floor thinks the others are incompetent. I
tend to agree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GOn Thu, 21 Jun 2018 18:13:09 +0100, Scott
wrote:

Chemicals into the environment.

Go and buy a small bottle of Dirt Company approved organic non
functioning insecticide. Pour contents away, refill with Glyphosate.
When neighbour asks what you are doing wave bottle of greeny approved
glop and point at soil approved label.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-21, Mark wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam

Andrew

Fallacy
Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives

It's not entirely fallacious. The people who owned this house before us
mounted a tap on a cherry tree using brass screws and that was making
the tree rather poorly. Admittedly, it wasn't dying.

Brass != Copper?

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is their beef? I'd have thought if you were careful and did it on a
still day then hardly anything but your stuff would be affected unless they
have some kind of prize plant whose roots are on soil, in which case leave
that part untreated.
Brian

Chemicals into the environment.

Eco warriors!

What do they wash their clothes & dishes with?

Ecover.

Do they pour the outflow on their plants?

Ultimately....Yes.

It won't be "them" doing it though will it?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Agreeing on how to deal with a shared garden is a nightmare. There
sometimes seems to be more opinions than parties involved.

Surely there is an obligation on the parties to pay costs incurred
by their representative or by the management company?

Yes, but we are 'self-factored' meaning the building is managed by the
residents, who at the last meeting split 4-4 on the vote. This was
for roof repairs where some thought the first bidder was too cheap and
others thought the second bidder was too expensive. We therefore did
not have the five votes needed for a decision.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chemicals into the environment.

Go and buy a small bottle of Dirt Company approved organic non
functioning insecticide. Pour contents away, refill with Glyphosate.
When neighbour asks what you are doing wave bottle of greeny approved
glop and point at soil approved label.

This is similar to my original idea of saying organophosphate is the
special organic form containing no chemicals :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott pretended :
It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

You could always write a rude word in the grass, with weed killer. Best
done when all are in bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Put your own quote in & sub it to the cheapest.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Is this done through a limited company or is it arranged as a sort
of club? There surely must be some agreed process when a split vote
occurs.

It's in Scotland so regulated by the Tenement Management Scheme in the
Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2004/11/contents

I've seen such an arrangement come a cropper when provisions were
made for a unofficial sinking fund.

Yes, I'm a bit nervous about funds held by our Residents' Association.
I prefer to sideline the RA and convene as a statutory meeting, but
the others (apart from one solicitor) see this as purely academic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/06/2018 21:26, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.

Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a
neighbours garden.

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has to
hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.

Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.

TBH I never looked at was in the weedkiller. I know that it killed a
16ft conifer in a year just by pouring it on or around the roots. Well
dead enough just that they had to cut it down.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/18 16:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Scott pretended :
It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.

You could always write a rude word in the grass, with weed killer. Best
done when all are in bed.

Back to glyphosate. Takes a while to "develop"