Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best place for glyphosate

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region..
Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

I bought 5L of Clinc Ace 360g/l glyphosate a few years ago. I can't
recall the cost, but it wasn't very much, and it'll probably last me
another 5 years or so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best
(cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50%
contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery
costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for
example. Midlands region.

Farm supply places? They might only sell it by the gallon though.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

When we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back? Relatively
benign environmentally. Damned effective.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

When we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back? Relatively
benign environmentally. Damned effective.

Was it banned because you can make it into a bomb? In which case, we
might differ about the effect on the environment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/17 15:33, sm_jamieson wrote:
I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

When I wanted to get a quick stock of glyphosate last year in case it
disappeared from the market I got some of Wilkinson's own brand. IIRC it
was 360g/l, so a good concentrate. It was a fair bit cheaper than
branded versions too.

But I just checked on Wilko's website and they don't list their
own-brand glyphosate. Maybe they no longer sell it, but if there's a
shop nearby it would be worthwhile checking to see if there is any on
the shelves.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:03:07 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

Just be careful you don't kill everything around by spray-drift.
Choose a calm day, or cover adjacent flowerbeds and shrubs with old
compost sacks or polythene sheet.

And even after you have driven home from a spraying job, make sure
there is no glyphosate still on your boots before you walk over your
own (immaculate) lawn (like my gardener mate didn't).

You could still see the footprints months later! ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best
(cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50%
contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery
costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for
example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

Try ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262001119456?
lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=35352091421&rlsatarget=p la-278386804491&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046671&dev ice=c&campaignid=738466455&crdt=0

or with a shorter link:

https://tinyurl.com/znvvded
Or, give your recipients confidence with a preview TinyURL:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/znvvded

I bought the Gallup 490 recently (NB it is the concentrate so mix
according to instructions). No problems with ordering or delivery.

I see you only want a small amount though - try Rosate 36 also on ebay -
13.99 for 1 litre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

When we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back? Relatively
benign environmentally. Damned effective.

Was it banned because you can make it into a bomb? In which case, we
might differ about the effect on the environment.

Is a bomb particularly bad for the environment? It may have other
negative consequences in terms of health and safety and social
cohesion. Surely any terrorist would use something more modern than
sodium chlorate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Mark Allread Wrote in message:
[...]

Or the same w free delivery 11.99...

EBay 112306507175

Though for £25 on eBay I'd get 5litres, it will get
used/shared/borrowed/ etc.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 March 2017 18:19:04 UTC, Theo wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best
(cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50%
contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery
costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for
example. Midlands region.

Farm supply places? They might only sell it by the gallon though.

Theo

I think they only sell it to people with a licence nowadays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 7:17:52 PM UTC, jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks, thats just the job.

We mechanically stripped the area before Christmas but can't afford to lose any more soil, so the stuff grown up over the last few months needs the treatment.

How long must one wait for glyphosate to denature in the soil before planting ?

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2017 15:33, sm_jamieson wrote:
I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the
best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to
50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet
delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres,
for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

Is the lawn that far gone that you need to blitz it with glyphosate?
BTW glyphosate seldom kills buttercup or ivy the first time around.

In spring using a broadleaf specific weed and feed mixture with a moss
killer will turn even quite badly degraded lawns back into something
presentable more cheaply and with a lot less effort than relaying turf
from scratch. Then rake out the dross and reseed any bald patches.

If you insist on glyphosate then wait until it warms up a bit and the
grass is growing strongly. Be careful of spray drift and traces left on
boots or you will leave outlines where you step on good grass and cause
lots of unintended collateral damage in the borders.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

sm_jamieson Wrote in message:
[...]

Definitively - giyf.

A few days say? Though the things you're trying to kill may not
look dead by then, they soon will be...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

sm_jamieson wrote:
I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best
(cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50%
contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery
costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for
example. Midlands region.

Farm supply places? They might only sell it by the gallon though.

Theo

I think they only sell it to people with a licence nowadays.

You think wrong.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 02:44:49 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

How long must one wait for glyphosate to denature in the soil before planting ?

Simon.

Half-life of glyphosate in soil varies widely depending on individual
conditions. 40 days is an average, but as short as 2 and as long as
140. Note that half-life isn't the same as persistence. Detectable
levels can persist for several half-lives (a bit like radioactivity,
or indeed any half-life). See http://tinyurl.com/jzf9396

Which doesn't actually answer his question....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How long must one wait for glyphosate to denature in the soil before planting ?

Simon.

Half-life of glyphosate in soil varies widely depending on individual
conditions. 40 days is an average, but as short as 2 and as long as
140. Note that half-life isn't the same as persistence. Detectable
levels can persist for several half-lives (a bit like radioactivity,
or indeed any half-life). See http://tinyurl.com/jzf9396

Although true in terms of detecting the compound the glyphosate is
pretty much physically deactivated on contact with clay soils.
So within a few days or less the ground is OK for planting on again.
(on a sandy soil you would need to be a bit more cautious mustard &
cress germination and survival is a fairly easy quick DIY residue test).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Martin Brown Wrote in message:
[...]

Suggest you read the OP...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 02:44:49 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:
We mechanically stripped the area before Christmas but can't afford to
lose any more soil, so the stuff grown up over the last few months needs
the treatment.

How long must one wait for glyphosate to denature in the soil before
planting ?

I always give it a week unless on particularly sandy soil in which event
two weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is
the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say
40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids
internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of
garden centres, for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

glyphosate = Roundup, no? Before using this, you should read:
http://www.zerohedge.com/print/590417
"Monsanto Colluded With EPA, Was Unable To Prove Roundup Does Not
Cause Cancer, Unsealed Court Docs Reveal"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is
the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say
40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids
internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of
garden centres, for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

glyphosate = Roundup, no? Before using this, you should read:
http://www.zerohedge.com/print/590417
"Monsanto Colluded With EPA, Was Unable To Prove Roundup Does Not
Cause Cancer, Unsealed Court Docs Reveal"

how do you prove a negative?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 10:35:26 AM UTC, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is
the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say
40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids
internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of
garden centres, for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

glyphosate = Roundup, no? Before using this, you should read:
http://www.zerohedge.com/print/590417
"Monsanto Colluded With EPA, Was Unable To Prove Roundup Does Not
Cause Cancer, Unsealed Court Docs Reveal"

The did hear that the EU are thinking of banning it for agriculture ...
However I think its unlikely to do me in squirting a bit on my lawn. I'll try to not inhale it though.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 11:01:55 AM UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 10:35:26 AM UTC, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is
the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say
40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids
internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of
garden centres, for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

glyphosate = Roundup, no? Before using this, you should read:
http://www.zerohedge.com/print/590417
"Monsanto Colluded With EPA, Was Unable To Prove Roundup Does Not
Cause Cancer, Unsealed Court Docs Reveal"

The did hear that the EU are thinking of banning it for agriculture ...
However I think its unlikely to do me in squirting a bit on my lawn. I'll try to not inhale it though.

Simon.

Story he
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...ncer-link.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2017 10:35, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is
the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say
40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids
internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of
garden centres, for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

glyphosate = Roundup, no? Before using this, you should read:
http://www.zerohedge.com/print/590417
"Monsanto Colluded With EPA, Was Unable To Prove Roundup Does Not
Cause Cancer, Unsealed Court Docs Reveal"

You can never prove that anything does not cause cancer. Glyphosate as
an active ingredient is about as toxic to humans as caffeine. You have
more to fear from the wetting agents in commercial formulations. Much as
I dislike Monsanto I dislike ignorant scaremongering even more.

The problem is mainly with Roundup Ready crops containing traces of
glyphosate and the trick of hitting some ordinary crops with it prior to
harvesting to make them dry off evenly but with higher residues. A part
of the problem is that the very low detection limits for ultratrace
organics are now so low that you can detect almost anything.

Many commonly occurring chemicals that are known to increase the risk of
cancer including alcohol and tobacco.

I have my suspicions about lettuce too since almost everything with
milky sap is a bit dodgy (at least as a working heuristic). Euphorbia
sap is particularly nasty in respect of potentially carcinogenic
compounds and bracken isn't far behind. It is a matter of relative risk.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region.
Thanks,
Simon.

On the weeds you wish were not anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:08:56 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 15/03/2017 10:35, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is
the best (cheapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say
40 to 50% contentrate) that does not break the bank and avoids
internet delivery costs? 500ml should do it. Any good chain of
garden centres, for example. Midlands region. Thanks, Simon.

glyphosate = Roundup, no? Before using this, you should read:
http://www.zerohedge.com/print/590417
"Monsanto Colluded With EPA, Was Unable To Prove Roundup Does Not
Cause Cancer, Unsealed Court Docs Reveal"

You can never prove that anything does not cause cancer.

So we shouldn't test such products for safety, is that what you're
saying?

Glyphosate as an active ingredient is about as toxic to humans as
caffeine. You have more to fear from the wetting agents in
commercial formulations. Much as I dislike Monsanto I dislike
ignorant scaremongering even more.

You need to read the article. People have an implicit trust in the
EPA and the EU equivalent, apparently this trust may be misplaced.