Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electyricity costs

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal...ectricity-bill

says this:

Wholesale costs 36.30%
Network costs 27.59%
Environmental and social obligation costs 14.79%
Other direct costs 1.19%
Operating costs 16.46%
Supplier pre-tax margin -1.09%
VAT 4.76%

That measns that SSE are buying electricity at 6.35613 p a unit. Yet the
market average is around 4p-5p a unit????

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal...hly-average-gb

Note that the network and enviorinmental costs are together 41%. These
are massively affected by 'renewable energy'.

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed
tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are
"no names".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed
tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are
"no names".

I just did a calculation elsehwer and came up with a figure of a shade
over £350m a week to pay for 'reneable energy'.

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed
tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are
"no names".

I can recommend Bulb - a pretty reasonable variable tariff, decent
website for sending in readings and amazing customer service both by
phone and email. They managed to fix a long standing problem where leccy
and gas were on different postcodes! (I have a corner house). That used
to confuse the hell out of dual fuel signup websites.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/06/2018 12:11, Tim Watts wrote:

I can recommend Bulb

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote on 02/06/2018 :
I just did a calculation elsehwer and came up with a figure of a shade over
350m a week to pay for 'reneable energy'.

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act and
'renewable obligation' post brexit..

I agree and in my opinion the result would be much greener anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2018 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed
tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are
"no names".

One of them recently went broke. I believe in theory you are protected
if this happens. The Coop took over the a/cs one one supplier that went
broke.

Doing away with smart meters would save money.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed

tariffs

I can recommend Bulb - a pretty reasonable variable tarif

Current fix is £48/m, same supplier wants £68/m for a 1 year fix, or
£70/m for two years, Bulb comes in at £58/m variable, so yes reasonable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are
"no names".

One of them recently went broke.

The one that constantly appears on MSE at £115 cheaper than I'm paying
now (let alone what I might have to pay soon) is Outfox, based on their
other businesses I will avoid them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare laid this down on his screen :
Doing away with smart meters would save money.

But not nearly as much as doing away with the silly green monster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 13:58:32 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I can recommend Bulb - a pretty reasonable variable tarif

Current fix is £48/m, same supplier wants £68/m for a 1 year fix, or
£70/m for two years, Bulb comes in at £58/m variable, so yes
reasonable.

Or take a look at Utility Point, they beat Bulb for me recently.

I also took look at Outfox but there is a "membership fee" that
doesn't appear in the tarrif details and is added to the bill. I also
note that I'm now a "member" of Utilty Point, but no "membership fee"
that I've found. Use of the word "member" rather than "customer" is
curious, there must be a reason.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Or take a look at Utility Point

I did look at them a few weeks ago, they look very new and presumably
very small, the comings and goings of their company names and directors
looked odd.

I emailed them a query and they took a week to reply, the reply didn't
include an answer, so they dropped down the list.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 June 2018 11:16:45 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal...ectricity-bill

says this:

Wholesale costs 36.30%
Network costs 27.59%
Environmental and social obligation costs 14.79%
Other direct costs 1.19%
Operating costs 16.46%
Supplier pre-tax margin -1.09%
VAT 4.76%

That measns that SSE are buying electricity at 6.35613 p a unit. Yet the
market average is around 4p-5p a unit????

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal...hly-average-gb

Note that the network and enviorinmental costs are together 41%. These
are massively affected by 'renewable energy'.

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

Bollix.
https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power...r#.WxK_TFVKi1s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'm now a "member" of Utilty Point

Which tariff did you go for BTW, 15 months fixed or 27 months tracker?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 17:00:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Or take a look at Utility Point

I did look at them a few weeks ago, they look very new and presumably
very small, ...

I don't have a problem with that. I've got two accounts with them,
opened 6 days apart. Account number goes up by 1350 ish and the
highest is around 29,500. That was 4 weeks ago.

... the comings and goings of their company names and directors looked
odd.

Nothing that rung alarm bells here. IIRC the scretary resigned but
they where a solictors or similar. Some one else did come in and go
out, without staying long.

I emailed them a query and they took a week to reply, the reply didn't
include an answer, so they dropped down the list.

I phoned a couple of times, they don't operate a "musak on hold"
system but an answerphone for you to leave a number for them to call
you back. which they do within a few hours.

I have also emailed, and yes a response took a while but answered
question. We shall see if what they say will be done will be, combine
both electricity accounts into one login. The account GUI has drop
down lists to select an account, presumably designed for gas &
eletric. Rather than two electric.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 17:04:11 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Which tariff did you go for BTW, 15 months fixed or 27 months tracker?

Fixed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit
[...] costs are [...] massively affected by 'renewable energy'.

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

You forgot to think about the cost of building Nuclear, and you can't
even have it built for fifteen years, probably twenty if you include the
whole process. Hinkley Point already revising their costs upwards.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:

Hinkley Point already revising their costs upwards.

Which is a matter for their investors, not the electricity buying public.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:16:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW formulated on Saturday :
there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think there
might be a reason to avoid climate change?

Did you not think that this is not the way to solve it and that it just
might be making the problem worse?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2018 20:26, TimW wrote:

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

There is a big difference between climate change and the rush into so
called "green energy" which isn't green at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
TimW wrote

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you
not think there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

There is a big difference between climate change and the
rush into so called "green energy" which isn't green at all.

Particularly when the only sensible approach if climate
change is real and should be minimised is nukes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/18 20:26, TimW wrote:
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change
act and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

What has renewable energy got to do with climate change?
And is natural climate change so bad?

TW

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/18 20:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
TimW formulated on Saturday :
there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

Did you not think that this is not the way to solve it and that it just
might be making the problem worse?

Did you not think that the almsot zero climate change of the last 50
years had nothing to do with human activity at all?

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/18 06:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 19:35:55 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:16:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

+1

It will be interesting to see, when all the 'pump priming' subsidies
have run their course and renewable kit starts to need renewing, how
many get replaced.

But by then the world may have a different view as to whether 'climate
change' is anything other than a natural phenomenon.

One thing is fer sure. Solar panels and windmills are 90% ineffective at
redcucing CO2 emussions but nuclear power is 90% effecetive.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/18 06:47, alan_m wrote:
On 02/06/2018 20:26, TimW wrote:

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

There is a big difference between climate change and the rush into so
called "green energy" which isn't green at all.

intermnittent renewable energy is an incredibly expensive 'solution'
that doesnt work to solve a 'problem' that isn't a problem.

In short it is a typical product of the Left.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I have to really stay with edf, but I do rather feel that although all
the big companies deny it there is a cartel in operation. its strange that
the eventual quote based on past usage from most suppliers for me shows that
on my current supplier I save a meesly 45 quid.
Now I fully understand that they are all in effect buying the same
electricity, in my case, but it appears that all companies will give you a
bigger discount on Electricity if you buy gas as well but I have no gas.

No I think we are all being shafted here and I see no light at the end of
the tunnel until a scandal is unearthed. Where are all the investigative
journalists?

Having said about the discount the total estimated is nearly 100 quid more
than this last year in any case, no doubt to pay for smart meters and fixing
all the badly maintained infrastructure. After all they may have devolved
the companies into various silly named companies running the grid, but they
obviously charge the supplier for their work and we have no sight of this
amount and it can make one wonder if these companies have the suppliers over
a barrel.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed
tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are "no
names".

I can recommend Bulb - a pretty reasonable variable tariff, decent website
for sending in readings and amazing customer service both by phone and
email. They managed to fix a long standing problem where leccy and gas
were on different postcodes! (I have a corner house). That used to confuse
the hell out of dual fuel signup websites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nott too sure about this to be honest. if you are digging yourself a hole
why keep on digging it? I'm not saying we are going about countering it the
right way, but it is a very hard thing to call when the issue is world wide
not just ours.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
The Natural Philosopher wrote on 02/06/2018 :
I just did a calculation elsehwer and came up with a figure of a shade
over 350m a week to pay for 'reneable energy'.

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

I agree and in my opinion the result would be much greener anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Well I have to really stay with edf, but I do rather feel that although
all the big companies deny it there is a cartel in operation. its strange
that the eventual quote based on past usage from most suppliers for me
shows that on my current supplier I save a meesly 45 quid.

Now I fully understand that they are all in effect buying the same
electricity, in my case, but it appears that all companies will give you a
bigger discount on Electricity if you buy gas as well but I have no gas.

No I think we are all being shafted here and I see no light at the end of
the tunnel until a scandal is unearthed.

There is no scandal to be unearthed.

Where are all the investigative journalists?

Mostly looking for a job now.

Having said about the discount the total estimated is nearly 100 quid more
than this last year in any case, no doubt to pay for smart meters and
fixing all the badly maintained infrastructure. After all they may have
devolved the companies into various silly named companies running the
grid, but they obviously charge the supplier for their work and we have no
sight of this amount and it can make one wonder if these companies have
the suppliers over a barrel.

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed
tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are
"no names".

I can recommend Bulb - a pretty reasonable variable tariff, decent
website for sending in readings and amazing customer service both by
phone and email. They managed to fix a long standing problem where leccy
and gas were on different postcodes! (I have a corner house). That used
to confuse the hell out of dual fuel signup websites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:18:56 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed produced
yet more rot:

Particularly when the only sensible approach if climate
change is real and should be minimised is nukes.

You simply HAVE to open your senile gob, regardless of what rot comes out of
it, eh, Rot? BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TimW wrote:
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

I'd say it a feature of the right wing - shown by those who led the
brexit campaign. No point in any form of planning. Don't used any form of
science to predict an outcome. A gut feeling is so much better.

The laugh is there's probably far more money to be made out of designing,
making and selling renewables than nuclear power stations. But then the
right wing doesn't believe in manufacturing etc anything.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Hinkley Point already revising their costs upwards.

Which is a matter for their investors, not the electricity buying public.

Really? ;-) As with the railways and banks, the taxpayer will end up
bailing them out as ever.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TimW wrote:
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

I'd say it a feature of the right wing - shown by those who led the
brexit campaign. No point in any form of planning. Don't used any form of
science to predict an outcome. A gut feeling is so much better.

The laugh is there's probably far more money to be made out of designing,
making and selling renewables than nuclear power stations. But then the
right wing doesn't believe in manufacturing etc anything.

Brexiteers can't plan anything as they don't trust any experts so they
have duff info on everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
In article ,
TimW wrote:
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change
act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

I'd say it a feature of the right wing - shown by those who led the
brexit campaign. No point in any form of planning. Don't used any form of
science to predict an outcome. A gut feeling is so much better.

The laugh is there's probably far more money to be made out of designing,
making and selling renewables than nuclear power stations. But then the
right wing doesn't believe in manufacturing etc anything.

Brexiteers can't plan anything as they don't trust any experts

Dont need any experts to plan things and your experts didnt
even manage to see the 2008 global financial crisis coming,
and proclaimed that Britain would be economically ****ed if
it didnt join the eurozone, so those havent got a ****ing clue.

so they have duff info on everything.

They can see that Britain did better staying out of the
eurozone and will do better outside the EU too, you watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:16:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

+1

It will be interesting to see, when all the 'pump priming' subsidies
have run their course and renewable kit starts to need renewing, how
many get replaced.

But by then the world may have a different view as to whether 'climate
change' is anything other than a natural phenomenon.

One thing is fer sure. Solar panels and windmills are 90% ineffective at
redcucing CO2 emussions but nuclear power is 90% effecetive.

But nuclear is going to cost 9.2p/Kwh. That's way more than current spot
price.

3.2Gw is about 10% of summer peak power demand and 7% of winter. So that
clean nuc power is going to skew the price of everyone's electricity
upwards.

Soon be time to buy a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf battery, 4Kw solar, vert axis
windmill in garden, inverter and go off grid. Or at worst charge the
battery on economy 7.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:16:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all
renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

+1

It will be interesting to see, when all the 'pump priming' subsidies
have run their course and renewable kit starts to need renewing, how
many get replaced.

But by then the world may have a different view as to whether 'climate
change' is anything other than a natural phenomenon.

One thing is fer sure. Solar panels and windmills are 90% ineffective
at redcucing CO2 emussions but nuclear power is 90% effecetive.

But nuclear is going to cost 9.2p/Kwh. That's way more than current spot
price.

That's more about the deal the government has done.

Far more sensible for the government to borrow the money (which they can
get at a very low rate and allow the profits from nuclear power to pay
the loan off, with no element of further profit, but EU
finance/competition rules prevented that - there were even concerns that
the government guaranteeing the companies' loans could be called in and
possibly stopped.

Instead we have foreign companies borrowing money at a higher rate and
adding profit on top of their loan repayments, thus needing a high
strike price. And the profits are exported from the UK economy as well!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

On past performance, there won't be any profits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

In article ,
TimW wrote:
On 02/06/18 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act
and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think
there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

I'd say it a feature of the right wing - shown by those who led the
brexit campaign. No point in any form of planning. Don't used any form of
science to predict an outcome. A gut feeling is so much better.

The laugh is there's probably far more money to be made out of designing,
making and selling renewables than nuclear power stations. But then the
right wing doesn't believe in manufacturing etc anything.

Brexiteers can't plan anything as they don't trust any experts so they
have duff info on everything.

We certainly don't believe any of the financial "experts" and their
predictions of disaster after the vote. All of which turned out to be
roughly the inverse of what has actually happened. Including Carney's
900.

We've actually left the EU, have we?

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

No longer worth it to plug in Electric Cars or Plug-In Hybrids inAreas wit High Electricity Costs and Low Gasoline Costs SMS Home Repair 67 November 10th 14 01:59 AM
boiler costs - rough costs / options dirt dibbler UK diy 1 July 5th 07 10:39 AM
underfloor heating - running costs g UK diy 25 September 9th 03 10:06 AM
house alteration costs. John UK diy 0 July 16th 03 07:02 PM
Costs for Gas Central heating from Electric storage Richard Markham UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:46 PM