Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Cheap LAN tester

Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2018 13:58, ARW wrote:
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

I got one like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phone-Tel...r/222594754742

As it has a tone tracer. Also useful for finding which mains cables goes
where!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyon
der.co.uk scribeth thus
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

Works fine that one does all you need for wiring..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/05/2018 14:26, tony sayer wrote:
In article , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyon
der.co.uk scribeth thus
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

Works fine that one does all you need for wiring..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

And the reason I am asking is that I wired up a new and unplanned data
point on Friday in Leeds. Normally I would take the works tester with me
and test any new points I have installed.

A simple enough job but I ****ed it up and I had no tester.

I patched it into no 23 and not 24 - my head was upside down in the back
of the cabinet:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have the Toolstation one and have used it a good deal: it's always worked
flawlessly.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
On 19/05/2018 14:26, tony sayer wrote:
In article , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyon
der.co.uk scribeth thus
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

Works fine that one does all you need for wiring..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

And the reason I am asking is that I wired up a new and unplanned data
point on Friday in Leeds. Normally I would take the works tester with
me and test any new points I have installed.

A simple enough job but I ****ed it up and I had no tester.

I patched it into no 23 and not 24 - my head was upside down in the
back of the cabinet:-)

Mine, about £4 from ebay has been invaluable for years now. It tests
RJ45, RJ11 and usb cables. I think the usb test has been used a couple
of times.
I haven't ever tested RJ11 with it, but it appears to do so by having
small blanking plastic plugs for the RJ45 sockets. I'd imagine that if
I'd ever used these, I'd have lost them by now.
Some RJ45 testers on ebay now are under £3 with free delivery, one or
two from "UK sellers".
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2018 13:58, ARW wrote:
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

For checking you have the right pin wired to the right pin they will
usually do the job nicely.

They probably wont spot things like split pairs - where the right
connections are made, but with wires not in the right pairs, and they
can't give any indication of the "quality" of the connection (near and
far end crosstalk, bandwidth etc).

For new install stuff, the basic testers are fine (assuming you are not
going to be running 10G ethernet over the wires)

The next level up testers, e.g:

http://cpc.farnell.com/fluke-network...t=lan%20tester

Add some handy bits like split pair detection, a tone injector, and
possibly a capacitive cable length indication. Of those, tone injection
is the most handy for finding which wire out of the many identical
looking ones you are after.

I have one made by Ideal, with an add on pack of 8 remote modules.
That's quite nice for new installs since you can do multiple connections
at one end, and connect up the remote modules, then go do a bunch at the
other end, and it will identify which module its connected to as well as
testing the pinout. Alas they don't seem to do that one any more... ISTR
it was a couple of hundred with the extra modules. This is probably
comparable though, and included the modules:

http://cpc.farnell.com/peak/utp05e/a...ser/dp/IN07477

On vary rare occasions I wish I had access to a "full on" lan analyser -
or something that at least contained a TDR, and could do frequency and
noise performance tests. I have had a couple of times where connections
have probably been nibbled by rodents, and the basic lan testers can't
see any problem. However the connections no longer function reliably
when in use. I expect a proper tester would show a fault here.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/18 13:58, ARW wrote:
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

Are you are one that that just buzzes the 4 pairs through or one that
can certify the installed cable to a standard (Cat5e, 6a etc)? The
latter won't be cheap :-o
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2018 16:19:10 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

For checking you have the right pin wired to the right pin they will
usually do the job nicely.

Yep but avialable for half Toolstation/Screwfix prices without too
much bother. I've got a cheapy as above but my reach for first is one
of
these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LemonBest%C...ester-Meter/dp
/B00LUIJGBA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOYAFA-NF-8...Length/dp/B073
31LRL6

(Grabbed to illustrate the product. not the sellers).

The dongles strike me as rather expensive at a fiver each (they are
nothing but a couple of handfuls of surface mount diodes resistors
capacitors and a beeper). They have been reverse engineered though
and I'm making my own(*), with a switch for the beeper. The tester
itself works well and shows miswires clearly and which end is wrong.
The cable length is pretty good it also doubles a cable fault/damage
locator. Best to measure from both ends though.

(*) Would already have if CPC hadn't sent me 7.5 V zener diodes
instead of 3.3 V. Packet labled with right order code, diodes inside
incorrect, order recieved yonks ago and didn't discover the picking
error until the ID function on my just constructed dongles didn't
work last week.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW explained :

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

Those are both the same unit and the same as the one I use. It works
absolutely fine, you can test a short cable or a long one with remote
ends.

Mine came with a bag of crimps, a fair crimper and the unit for around
£5 from China.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2018 13:58, ARW wrote:
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-In-1-Ne...AOSwMvtZU5P 7

It also does USB cables and (basic) checks on coax cables.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/05/2018 14:15, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/05/2018 13:58, ARW wrote:
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a
bit more for a better one if it has any benefits.

I got one like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phone-Tel...r/222594754742

As it has a tone tracer. Also useful for finding which mains cables goes
where!

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...racer-kit.html

I am still replacing kit from the van break-in last year.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

For you that fact they can tolerate being connected to the mains is
good, tone tracers designed for LAN/telecoms works tend to let the
magic smoke out in such circumstances.

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK
sender is the more versatile as it has an IEC on the sender so can be
simply plugged into a socket or clipped on with the supplied
clips/probes lead but it doesn't have a battery, so by implication
works on live circuits.

The sender in the DCF200 is clips only but has a battery and some
extra pretty lights to say the circuit is live or short but the
manual says it's not for use on a live circuits.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/05/2018 11:14, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

For you that fact they can tolerate being connected to the mains is
good, tone tracers designed for LAN/telecoms works tend to let the
magic smoke out in such circumstances.

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK
sender is the more versatile as it has an IEC on the sender so can be
simply plugged into a socket or clipped on with the supplied
clips/probes lead but it doesn't have a battery, so by implication
works on live circuits.

The sender in the DCF200 is clips only but has a battery and some
extra pretty lights to say the circuit is live or short but the
manual says it's not for use on a live circuits.

Well its two totally different units (for two different jobs) sold in
one package to save a few quid. I am also looking at Kewtech and
Martingale products.

Basically these two kits sold as one.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...inder-kit.html

and

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...it-finder.html

But I need such kit. ATM I am borrowing it from the office as and when
needed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2018 12:03:27 +0100, ARW wrote:

Well its two totally different units (for two different jobs) sold in
one package to save a few quid.

Not quite sure I follow the "two different jobs", both are a signal
injector with a tracer probe. Surely what one can do the other can as
well? Any limitations are down to deliberate design decisions, one
needs a live circuit for the sender and maybe the other supresses
it's output when connected to a live circuit. ie they are flogging
you 4 boxes when they could design a system that only requires two.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 May 2018 11:14:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK

It does seem a lot for what it is. Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

Everything they sell seems miles overpriced. The name grates, too.

What's the advantage over a £20 tone tester pair?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2018 21:26:36 +0100, Jim wrote:

What's the advantage over a £20 tone tester pair?

A £20 tone tester pair senders don't like being connected to the
mains. Even if it did I'm not sure how well it would work as all they
do is inject an audio tone onto the pairs. On live mains the 50 Hz at
+48 dBV swamps my ordianry tone tracer probe. Reading between the
lines of the description/manuaI for the Soocket and See kit I have a
suspicion they may be RF based.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

It doesn't blow up when you connect it to mains by mistake at a rough guess.

Its something an electrician might want but most telecoms would be fine
if it survived 50V and ringing voltage.

LANs need to survive PoE these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

Most of their stuff seems pretty decent IME... They are focussed on the
electrical trade though rather than the network installer.

What's the advantage over a £20 tone tester pair?

Kit that will work (and is safe to use) on live mains cables. The tone
tracing works at a 50cm away from the cable as well, which the normal
signal cable tone tracers can't do.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 May 2018 09:48:08 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

LANs need to survive PoE these days.

Proper PoE isn't a problem, passive is. Those cheapy testers at the
begining of this thread don't like 12 V passive "PoE". BTDTGTTS...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/05/2018 17:13, wrote:
On Sunday, 20 May 2018 11:14:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK

It does seem a lot for what it is. Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?

I would rather not;-)

I don't just go around swapping lights for old dears - although they are
far more likely to offer you a nice cup of tea with a biscuit than the
******s in charge of the expensive jobs I have to do.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2018 17:13, wrote:
On Sunday, 20 May 2018 11:14:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK

It does seem a lot for what it is. Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?

And how comfortable would you be hooking that up inside a 3ph CU with
440V, and 10kA of PSSC available?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 May 2018 19:05:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/05/2018 17:13, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 20 May 2018 11:14:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK

It does seem a lot for what it is. Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?

And how comfortable would you be hooking that up inside a 3ph CU with
440V, and 10kA of PSSC available?

I'm not in the habit of doing that with LAN testers

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2018 23:52, wrote:
On Monday, 21 May 2018 19:05:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/05/2018 17:13, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 20 May 2018 11:14:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK

It does seem a lot for what it is. Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?

And how comfortable would you be hooking that up inside a 3ph CU with
440V, and 10kA of PSSC available?

I'm not in the habit of doing that with LAN testers

Its not a lan tester, its a circuit tracer and fuse finder!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2018 12:12, wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 07:23:13 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/05/2018 23:52, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 21 May 2018 19:05:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/05/2018 17:13, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 20 May 2018 11:14:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:05:54 +0100, ARW wrote:

I am looking at buying this (or something similar) as well very soon.

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket...t-fuse-finder-
and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html

They know how to get maximum money from you though. The FFCB200UK

It does seem a lot for what it is. Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?

And how comfortable would you be hooking that up inside a 3ph CU with
440V, and 10kA of PSSC available?

I'm not in the habit of doing that with LAN testers

Its not a lan tester, its a circuit tracer and fuse finder!

Putting a fuse in a lead on a chinese tester has never struck me as too hard to do.

And will a fuse bestow upon the cheap tester the ability to inject a RF
tone into a live low impedance mains cable, that can then the traced at
a 50cm distance from the wire?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 23:35:25 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2018 12:12, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I'm gonna let you see if you can work that one out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2018 23:37, wrote:
[...]

What I can't work out is why you think a cheap lan tester is going to do
the job of an circuit tracer and fuse finder - a completely different
bit of kit, designed for use in a different environment. Even more
worrying, is that you appear think the only difference between that and
a lan tester is the presence of a fuse.

However, for the avoidance of doubt, let's go back to your question "Can
you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?", and answer: No
you probably can't, and if you could, I would not want to use it on a
live system.

Shall we move on now?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 10:11:03 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2018 23:37, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

ok, when you want to be sensible let us know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2018 11:45, wrote:
[...]

Are you auditioning for the position of new group clown?

You made the daft comment about buying a £15 quid lan tester instead of
the test gear linked to, and then proceeded to get ever more stupid with
the comments about adding fuses to them.

A simple apology for your oversight in the first place would have done.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2018 23:35:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Putting a fuse in a lead on a chinese tester has never struck me

as too
hard to do.

And will a fuse bestow upon the cheap tester the ability to inject a RF
tone into a live low impedance mains cable, that can then the traced at
a 50cm distance from the wire?

"A semiconductor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the
fuse by blowing first."

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 13:44:20 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 23:35:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Putting a fuse in a lead on a chinese tester has never struck me

as too
hard to do.

And will a fuse bestow upon the cheap tester the ability to inject a RF
tone into a live low impedance mains cable, that can then the traced at
a 50cm distance from the wire?

"A semiconductor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the
fuse by blowing first."

Why would you want to put a semiconductor fuse in to protect a cheap multimeter ?
If teh meter can't protect itself maybe it shouldn't be used for that particualar test.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2018 14:20, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 13:44:20 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 23:35:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Putting a fuse in a lead on a chinese tester has never struck me

as too
hard to do.

And will a fuse bestow upon the cheap tester the ability to inject a RF
tone into a live low impedance mains cable, that can then the traced at
a 50cm distance from the wire?

"A semiconductor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the
fuse by blowing first."

Why would you want to put a semiconductor fuse in to protect a cheap multimeter ?
If teh meter can't protect itself maybe it shouldn't be used for that particualar test.

Try reading it properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 May 2018 13:35:33 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/05/2018 14:20, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 13:44:20 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 23:35:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
NT:

Putting a fuse in a lead on a chinese tester has never struck me
as too
hard to do.

And will a fuse bestow upon the cheap tester the ability to inject a RF
tone into a live low impedance mains cable, that can then the traced at
a 50cm distance from the wire?

"A semiconductor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the
fuse by blowing first."

Why would you want to put a semiconductor fuse in to protect a cheap multimeter ?
If teh meter can't protect itself maybe it shouldn't be used for that particualar test.

Try reading it properly.

won't make any difference, he doesn't know what multimeter fuses are for

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/05/2018 14:37, ARW wrote:
On 19/05/2018 14:26, tony sayer wrote:
In article , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyon
der.co.uk scribeth thus
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

Works fine that one does all you need for wiring..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

And the reason I am asking is that I wired up a new and unplanned data
point on Friday in Leeds. Normally I would take the works tester with me
and test any new points I have installed.

A simple enough job but I ****ed it up and I had no tester.

I patched it into no 23 and not 24 - my head was upside down in the back
of the cabinet:-)

Well I got the Toolstation one. Spot on for the small jobs, today I 2nd
fixed 8 data points in a house. One cable was not punched down properly
and it picked it up.

Work has a proper tester for the big jobs.

--
Adam

[OT] Connection to LAN dropping on XP but not Vista Options Edward[_6_] UK diy 6 November 10th 08 07:21 PM
QUER O CAPITAL PARA INICIAR UMA LAN HOUSE? PARTICIPE!! Próspero Home Repair 2 August 11th 07 03:29 PM
IBM Thinkpad with a broken LAN connector. Any help? [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 May 23rd 07 12:57 PM
LAN Chaosjeff UK diy 13 June 26th 06 12:45 AM
Lan tractor help needed ! Amamba Home Repair 4 September 3rd 05 08:34 PM