Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Connection to LAN dropping on XP but not Vista Options

[Previously posted on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ]

About a month ago we finally had our LAN wired up and connected. Previously,
our XP Pro SP3 machine had been the only one connected to our Netgear ADSL
DG834 Firewall router, which iss connected to our BT Broadband connection.
The only thing that has changed is that three other patch cables are now
coming out of the router, into the new LAN patch board whence the cables run
to other rooms. In one of the other rooms my son is running Vista connected
to his local network point.

However. Since the wiring was connected the home computer (XP Pro) has a
very annoying habit of occasionally losing its connection to the Internet.
You click on a link, or open a browser, and the "Dial-up Connection" dialog
pops up. However, pressing "Connect" doesn't actually connect, just says
"Unable to establish a connection".

At this point I can open a command window and successfully "ping" an
external site - e.g. "ping bbc.co.uk". Also, the status of the "Local Area
Connection" states that it is connected.

The only way to reconnect is either to log out and log back into Windows, or
to right-click on the Local Area Connection icon in the system tray and
select "Repair". Once that operation is completed,
opening a browser window now causes the "Web page unavailable while offline"
dialog to show. HOWEVER, if I now press "Connect" the web page connects
successfully.

This fault is intermittent and unpredictable. I've tried swapping over the
cables and it makes no difference. My son, on his machine elsewhere on the
LAN, has no such problem. If it makes any difference our network card is a
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Edward wrote:
[...]

Try using static local IP addresses. Might be possible to associate
specific addresses with ethernet cards in the router - which is quite a
simple approach.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message

[...]

Check in Internet Options - Connectons that "Never dial a connection"
has been selected.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward wrote:
[...]

Well turn dial up OFF and REMOVE it, and set the Ethernet up properly.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Edward wrote:
[...]

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

Criticising the government is not illegal, but on investigation often
turns out to be linked to other offences

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 11:23*am, "Edward" wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all respondents. All now satisfactorily sorted (I hope!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Will wrote:
On Nov 8, 11:23 am, "Edward" wrote:
[...]

Which techniques overcame your problems?

--
Rod

onset.