Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Cheap LAN tester

In message , ARW
writes
On 19/05/2018 14:26, tony sayer wrote:
In article , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyon
der.co.uk scribeth thus
Just after a cheap one for when I have not got the works proper one.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10555

Works fine that one does all you need for wiring..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

were the first two I could find.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have no problems with paying a bit
more for a better one if it has any benefits.

And the reason I am asking is that I wired up a new and unplanned data
point on Friday in Leeds. Normally I would take the works tester with
me and test any new points I have installed.

A simple enough job but I ****ed it up and I had no tester.

I patched it into no 23 and not 24 - my head was upside down in the
back of the cabinet:-)

Mine, about £4 from ebay has been invaluable for years now. It tests
RJ45, RJ11 and usb cables. I think the usb test has been used a couple
of times.
I haven't ever tested RJ11 with it, but it appears to do so by having
small blanking plastic plugs for the RJ45 sockets. I'd imagine that if
I'd ever used these, I'd have lost them by now.
Some RJ45 testers on ebay now are under £3 with free delivery, one or
two from "UK sellers".
--
Bill