UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chaosjeff
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the same
login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you turn it on,
without you having to either select a user or type in a username and
password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

In article .com,
Chaosjeff writes
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


You need to set it in ad-hoc mode where the thing acts as an air point
that other machines can connect to.

Peer to peer is like we have where we link to LAN's together over some
three miles with suitable hi-gain aerials and those you can't log onto
as such.

Presume you just want to share an Internet connection around your gaff.

Presume also that you do have another wireless point somewhere?...
--
Tony Sayer

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chaosjeff
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the same
login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you turn it on,
without you having to either select a user or type in a username and
password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the
internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has
wireless, but no router.

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about
other people who want in

jeff

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chaosjeff
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


tony sayer wrote:
In article .com,
Chaosjeff writes
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


You need to set it in ad-hoc mode where the thing acts as an air point
that other machines can connect to.

Peer to peer is like we have where we link to LAN's together over some
three miles with suitable hi-gain aerials and those you can't log onto
as such.

Presume you just want to share an Internet connection around your gaff.

Presume also that you do have another wireless point somewhere?...
--
Tony Sayer


well everybody with an connection can go on the internet so it isnt
that big of a thing. but i though you need a router to create an
'ad-hoc' network? its mainly so we can play lan computer games, it
works in peer to peer mode but i heard you can get more that one perosn
on a network.

jeff Mc



  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

Chaosjeff wrote:
Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the
belkin, wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to
peer network but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can
file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the
same login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you
turn it on, without you having to either select a user or type in a
username and password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the
internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has
wireless, but no router.

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about
other people who want in

jeff


As far as I know,college's will not allow file sharing on their network? so
you could be in trouble with the college for trying to set it up.
I know this via my cousin who asked me the same question only to find out
it wasn't allowed.
Whether all colleges have the same restrictions I don't know?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chaosjeff
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chaosjeff wrote:
Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the
belkin, wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to
peer network but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can
file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the
same login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you
turn it on, without you having to either select a user or type in a
username and password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the
internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has
wireless, but no router.

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about
other people who want in

jeff


As far as I know,college's will not allow file sharing on their network? so
you could be in trouble with the college for trying to set it up.
I know this via my cousin who asked me the same question only to find out
it wasn't allowed.
Whether all colleges have the same restrictions I don't know?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite


i am not trying to use the college's network to set it up im trying to
find out if we can do it by ourselves using out wireless internet
adaptors

Jeff

  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

Chaosjeff wrote:


i am not trying to use the college's network to set it up im trying to
find out if we can do it by ourselves using out wireless internet
adaptors

Jeff


Then yes its still possible but someone will need a wireless router
attached to the comp/laptop and all wireless connections go through
that,without the need of connection to the internet.I do know you need to
make an account on the main computer for all would be connections that want
to join the LAN.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite


  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

In article . com,
Chaosjeff writes

Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the same
login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you turn it on,
without you having to either select a user or type in a username and
password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the
internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has
wireless, but no router.


Very much suspect that there is a router somewhere on their network...

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about
other people who want in

jeff


--
Tony Sayer

  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

In article . com,
Chaosjeff writes

tony sayer wrote:
In article .com,
Chaosjeff writes
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


You need to set it in ad-hoc mode where the thing acts as an air point
that other machines can connect to.

Peer to peer is like we have where we link to LAN's together over some
three miles with suitable hi-gain aerials and those you can't log onto
as such.

Presume you just want to share an Internet connection around your gaff.

Presume also that you do have another wireless point somewhere?...
--
Tony Sayer


well everybody with an connection can go on the internet so it isnt
that big of a thing.


Are you using this on some sort of college type network,,


but i though you need a router to create an
'ad-hoc' network?



No ad hoc is just that a collective ad-hoc's

its mainly so we can play lan computer games, it
works in peer to peer


Might be a terminology thing peer to per is sometimes or from what I've
seen of it, LAN to LAN

mode but i heard you can get more that one perosn
on a network.


Yes...

jeff Mc


--
Tony Sayer



  #11   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN

Chaosjeff wrote:

well everybody with an connection can go on the internet so it isnt
that big of a thing.


The internet access you have is presumably being provided by the college
using their routers, internet connection and ISP. Depending on how they
have set things up there is also a fair chance that you will each be
able to "see" each other via the colleges infrastructure (although do
not be surprised if they have blocked all the ports that you will
require access to for peer to peer file sharing and most online gaming).

but i though you need a router to create an
'ad-hoc' network? its mainly so we can play lan computer games, it


You would probably be able to get each PC to see the others by setting
up an ad-hoc network as Tony says. However you may find it simpler if
someone installed a Wireless Access Point (WAP) or router and you all
connected to that - it is simpler to setup and administrate. It also
gives you the option of adding your own independent internet access
later if required. Beware that there are serious security implications
for the college if you connect to both networks at the same time and
also have your own internet connection.

works in peer to peer mode but i heard you can get more that one perosn
on a network.


You can, but in ad-hoc mode you may find yourself needing to make
multiple connections (one for each of the machines you want to
communicate with) rather than a single connection to a WAP (note that
some wireless cards will come with software that will enable you to set
one PC to act as a WAP)

--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff Mc
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


Chaosjeff wrote:
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff













thanks

Jeff

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the same
login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you turn it on,
without you having to either select a user or type in a username and
password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the
internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has
wireless, but no router.

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about
other people who want in

jeff


Okay, there are three ways of going about this...

1 - Use the college's network.
if it is allowed, and ALL the PC that are sharing files are windows XP PRO
(not home), Windows 2000 or windows NT, then this is the way to go, mainly
because you will probably be able to share files with each other wherever
anyone is on the campus, as long as they are connected to the college
network.
On the PC's that are going to be sharing files, create user accounts, with
passwords, for everyone who needs to access the shared files - if you use
the same username and passwords they use to log onto there PC's, then they
won't be prompted for a username and password when they try to connect to
the shared resource.
You can also setup per user permissions, so, for example, all users can read
the folder, but only certain users can write to it or delete files in it.


2 - Ad-Hoc mode.
This limits the range, so only PC's near each other can share files, this
will be more secure, but, when you are connected to each other, you will
loose internet access, unless one of the PC's is connected to the college
network as well as your ad-hoc network, and they have bridged the two
networks together.

3 - Use your own router.
This is the best option really, get a CABLE router (Not an ADSL one) then
connect the WAN port of this to the college network (assuming they provide a
hard wired socket - if not, you need a wireless bridge (sometimes called a
wireless gaming adaptor)
On this router, setup an SSID different to that of the college network, and
also setup an encryption key (WPA-PSK preferably, if all users support it)

Depending on how or if the college authenticate you, you may need to either
register the routers MAC address with the college, or change it to a mac
address that is already registered (if the college make you register or you
have to log in to access the internet, then whoever's account is used for
this will be liable if anyone on your private network does anything dodgy on
the internet.

Hope this helps!

Sparks...


  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff Mc
 
Posts: n/a
Default LAN


Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sparks wrote:
"Chaosjeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin,
wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network
but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff


What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this
connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the same
login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you turn it on,
without you having to either select a user or type in a username and
password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...


i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the
internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has
wireless, but no router.

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about
other people who want in

jeff


Okay, there are three ways of going about this...

1 - Use the college's network.
if it is allowed, and ALL the PC that are sharing files are windows XP PRO
(not home), Windows 2000 or windows NT, then this is the way to go, mainly
because you will probably be able to share files with each other wherever
anyone is on the campus, as long as they are connected to the college
network.
On the PC's that are going to be sharing files, create user accounts, with
passwords, for everyone who needs to access the shared files - if you use
the same username and passwords they use to log onto there PC's, then they
won't be prompted for a username and password when they try to connect to
the shared resource.
You can also setup per user permissions, so, for example, all users can read
the folder, but only certain users can write to it or delete files in it.


2 - Ad-Hoc mode.
This limits the range, so only PC's near each other can share files, this
will be more secure, but, when you are connected to each other, you will
loose internet access, unless one of the PC's is connected to the college
network as well as your ad-hoc network, and they have bridged the two
networks together.

3 - Use your own router.
This is the best option really, get a CABLE router (Not an ADSL one) then
connect the WAN port of this to the college network (assuming they provide a
hard wired socket - if not, you need a wireless bridge (sometimes called a
wireless gaming adaptor)
On this router, setup an SSID different to that of the college network, and
also setup an encryption key (WPA-PSK preferably, if all users support it)

Depending on how or if the college authenticate you, you may need to either
register the routers MAC address with the college, or change it to a mac
address that is already registered (if the college make you register or you
have to log in to access the internet, then whoever's account is used for
this will be liable if anyone on your private network does anything dodgy on
the internet.

Hope this helps!

Sparks...


thanks man

will try it

Jeff

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"