Amamba

Default Lan tractor help needed !

Hi,

My lawn tractor (Ariens with 15HP Briggs & Stratton gasoline engine)ran
out of fuel two weeks ago and immediately it wouldn't start. It was
working very well until that. I refueled it within 30 min but was
unable to start it. It does start when I spray some starting spray into
air filter duct, but then it dies right away.

In the last two weeks I checked the fuel pump (works, spews fuel when I
crank the engine), changed spark plug, took apart the carburetor as
much as I could and sprayed everything inside it with carb cleaner
spray. The choke and throttle appear to move freely, the carburetor
bowl is about 1/2 full of gasoline, the passage from bowl into
carburetor is clear. I also sprayed cleaning spray into all little
holes and orifices that I saw inside carburetor. Nevertheless, it won't
start.

When I put my hand over exhaust and intake holes in the air filter
mounting bracket, I can feel the air move, so there seems to be the
right action to suck the fuel mixture in.

So, what else could it be ? At this point, I assume that there's either
a blockage somewhere inside the carburetor body, that I was unable to
find, or the engine valve may be stuck in closed position (although I
can start it by spraying starting spray into the air filter duct, does
it deliver the mix inside the engine bypassing the valve ?)

How hard is it to open the valve up and check for blockage ? Do I need
any special tools or skills ?

Sorry for a lengthy message. Hope someone can help !

Rick

"Amamba" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Did you drain the gas and install a new fuel filter like someone
suggested?

When you took the carb apart, you didn't disturb the mixture screws,
did you?

Bob S.

Amamba wrote:
[...]

Make sure the vent hole in your gas cap is open.

David Martel

Amamba,

OK, the fuel pump works and gas is definitely being delivered to the
carb. The ignition system is delivering spark to the engine, also. Time to
get a rebuild kit and rebuild the carb. During the rebuild give every
orifice a good squirt of carb cleaner. Soaking the carb in gas overnight
also may help to clean the carb. After the rebuild you will need to adjust
the various needle valves. This is usually discussed in the instruction
sheet included in the rebuild kit.
If you're uncomfortable with adjusting the carb's needle valves or the
grass is getting really high take it into a shop but I think you'll find
that this is not hard so long as you work meticulously and in an area where
you don't lose dropped parts. Some of the screws are pretty small and there
is always a spring that wants to get lost.

Good luck,
Dave M.

Amamba

Ended up being a faulty fuel solenoid wire. At least that's what I was
told by the dealer. Kind of hard to imagine why it would stop working
when it ran out of gas, not sooner or later. But, it's back and working
again.