Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Daft cats and catflaps

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:29:04 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2018 09:17, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/05/2018 20:27, tabbypurr wrote:

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

that is a mystery. Or housefly, shieldbug, spider, maggot etc.

Might have a problem finding human taste testers for some of those.

There must be people whose job is to taste pet food. That must go down
well at parties.

there are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:29:35 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 04:22:32 +0100, pyotr filipivich wrote:
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" on Mon, 14 May 2018
18:34:13 +0100 typed in alt.pets.cats the following:

Jesus Christ, all I did was move the catflap from the back to the front of the house, now they can't understand it any more.

Well of course. That was the entrance at the back of the house.
Which (apparently) is now gone. You went and moved things around,
messing up their routine. What's a cat suppose to do?
¿And this thing in the front of the house - how does it work? I
mean, it isn't the one which is at the back of the house, so - what is
it?

It's the same one that was at the back, I just moved it.

Yeah, cats are aspergers.

Sometimes I wonder how their species survives. Imagine every human had aspergers, we'd all die out without the clever folk to look after them.

simple, they're cleverer than us. Where we win is on communication, not, as the human ego likes to think, intelligence.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:33:02 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:42:09 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 20:30:19 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 20:27:44 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 18:34:17 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Jesus Christ, all I did was move the catflap from the back to the front of the house, now they can't understand it any more.

they understand it fine. They're just very good at getting their own way. You should know that by now.

But they aren't getting their own way, I can see them trying to get outside, but failing.

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

that is a mystery. Or housefly, shieldbug, spider, maggot etc.

What's a mystery is why my sig generator always picks things to do with the post.

Another thing - have you noticed catfood is actually 96% chicken and only 4% of the meat it's apparently the flavour of? The cats seem to fall for it though.

they don't fall for it at all, their senses of sniff & taste are hugely better than ours. I assume the other 'meat products' are MRM, organ meats, eyeballs, knobs etc.

If they have such a good sense of smell, why don't they know it's wrong? If I give them the same "flavour" a few times in a row, they go off it. So they're enjoying a variety of fake flavours, thinking they're actually different things.

You're not engaging brain are you. They know perfectly well that it's whatever it is, they don't read the labels that say chicken etc.

It's humans that are fool enough to think that everything is what it says on the packet. Cats have the sense, in both senses, to sniff everything to see if it's what it appears to be.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:22:45 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Not being able to navigate through a hole in a wall does not show intelligence.
Not realising that shed doors are usually shut, but going in anyway, hiding from view, then getting trapped for a few days does not show intelligence.

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:26:14 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Wrong. All cat food is essentially the same with a pretend flavour mixed in. The cats are fooled by this and think they're eating something else. If I don't mix the pretend flavours, they go off it.

--
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:21:03 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:29:04 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2018 09:17, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/05/2018 20:27, tabbypurr wrote:

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

that is a mystery. Or housefly, shieldbug, spider, maggot etc.

Might have a problem finding human taste testers for some of those.

There must be people whose job is to taste pet food. That must go down
well at parties.

there are.

What's the point in a human tasting it? What matters is if a cat likes it. You might aswell test MacDonalds burgers with cats and if they eat them then they will sell well to humans?!?

--
What do black men do after sex?
15 years to life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:22:48 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Well we can construct things and wear clothes so we can venture out into new enviroments and **** those up to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:41:20 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
[...]

Don't do it then ;-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Tue, 15 May 2018 06:26:14 -0700 (PDT), , another
mentally challenged, troll-feeding idiot, driveled again:

You're not engaging brain are you.

He's engaging YOU, you brain dead idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiots Alert!

On Tue, 15 May 2018 03:38:38 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave, the notorious
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered again:

Who gives a blowjob with a condom on?!

Well someone does or they wouldn't make them in various flavours.

Which flavour do you prefer, you notorious sucker of troll cock?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 06:45:07 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave, the notorious
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered again:

not show intelligence.

Don't do it then ;-P

Like you, troll-feeding idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 16:37:22 +0100, Nightjar, another obviously demented,
troll-feedind idiot, blathered:

That is usually a later stage of testing and the comments tend to be
limited to yes or no.

That would be simple enough for either you driveling morons!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:22:45 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

they're perfectly able to. I've watched a cat supposedly unable to navigate a catflap get startled and jump through it like a shot. I doubt anyone really understands why they do what they do with catflaps, but there's no real indication that it's down to lack of smarts.

Not realising that shed doors are usually shut, but going in anyway, hiding from view, then getting trapped for a few days does not show intelligence.

compared to smoking it's genius.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:42:21 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:26:14 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

then you've not tasted or sniffed many cat foods

The cats are fooled by this and think they're eating something else.

there's no reason whatever to think that

If I don't mix the pretend flavours, they go off it.

yes they get bored.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:44:10 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Well mine are clearly trying to get through the door which now has no flap. That's either stupidity or forgetfulness.

Not realising that shed doors are usually shut, but going in anyway, hiding from view, then getting trapped for a few days does not show intelligence.

compared to smoking it's genius.

What's wrong with smoking? It makes you feel good (provided you use the right substance).

--
What lives in the sea, and goes dah dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah?
A morse cod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:43:05 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:21:03 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:29:04 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2018 09:17, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/05/2018 20:27, tabbypurr wrote:

There must be people whose job is to taste pet food. That must go down
well at parties.

there are.

What's the point in a human tasting it? What matters is if a cat likes it. You might aswell test MacDonalds burgers with cats and if they eat them then they will sell well to humans?!?

Getting cats to work is impossible, so humans do it. It works to a middling extent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:45:31 +0100, wrote:

[...]

I'm going by the ingredients. Only 4% of it changes, most is just a base.

The cats are fooled by this and think they're eating something else.

there's no reason whatever to think that

The ingredients prove they're fooled.

Mind you, maybe it's the same as humans liking salt and vinegar crisps or prawn cocktail crisps.

If I don't mix the pretend flavours, they go off it.

yes they get bored.

--
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:43:27 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:22:48 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

yes, because we communicate a lot more. So each person's discovery can be communicated to others. Try doing that with just meows. Our knowledge is mostly what others have discovered, cats' knowledge is only what they have discovered themselves.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:47:38 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:43:05 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:21:03 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:29:04 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2018 09:17, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/05/2018 20:27, tabbypurr wrote:

There must be people whose job is to taste pet food. That must go down
well at parties.

there are.

What's the point in a human tasting it? What matters is if a cat likes it. You might aswell test MacDonalds burgers with cats and if they eat them then they will sell well to humans?!?

Getting cats to work is impossible, so humans do it. It works to a middling extent.

They wouldn't know it was work. Place hungry cat in a room. Place two dishes near it. See which one it prefers.

--
Polynesia -- memory loss in parrots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 16:47:10 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 16:37:22 +0100, Nightjar wrote:
On 15/05/2018 12:30, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 09:17:40 +0100, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/05/2018 20:27, tabbypurr wrote:

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

that is a mystery. Or housefly, shieldbug, spider, maggot etc.

Might have a problem finding human taste testers for some of those.

Why not employ cat taste testers?

That is usually a later stage of testing and the comments tend to be
limited to yes or no.

This seems contrary to what I would have thought. With human products, we test on animals first incase it kills them.

If I was developing a cat food, I'd put out two different samples of it (or one of mine and one of a leading brand) a foot apart and present them to a cat. It will sniff both and eat one.

I've tried that, more often they don't. They often just eat the first one they sniff.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 18:49:01 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:45:31 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

the ingredient declarations are too vague to know what a lot of the other 96% is.

The cats are fooled by this and think they're eating something else.

there's no reason whatever to think that

The ingredients prove they're fooled.

clearly there is no reason to think they're fooled. The idea that you can fool a nose that can sniff 2 parts per billion with different meats is entirely unrealistic.

Mind you, maybe it's the same as humans liking salt and vinegar crisps or prawn cocktail crisps.

that isn't people being fooled either

If I don't mix the pretend flavours, they go off it.

yes they get bored.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 18:50:50 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:47:38 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:43:05 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:21:03 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:29:04 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2018 09:17, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/05/2018 20:27, tabbypurr wrote:

There must be people whose job is to taste pet food. That must go down
well at parties.

there are.

What's the point in a human tasting it? What matters is if a cat likes it. You might aswell test MacDonalds burgers with cats and if they eat them then they will sell well to humans?!?

Getting cats to work is impossible, so humans do it. It works to a middling extent.

They wouldn't know it was work. Place hungry cat in a room. Place two dishes near it. See which one it prefers.

Lots of people have tried to fool cats into working. They are not that easy to fool by human fools.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:51:05 +0100, wrote:

[...]

I have 3 different foods out at a time as I have several cats. Almost every cat will check them all then pick one. In much the same way as you would look at a table full of food and consider everything before selecting something.

--
What's meaner than a pit bull with AIDS?
The guy that gave it to him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:56:01 +0100, wrote:

[...]

They usually say "meat derivatives" so I assume they're identical for each of the flavours in the pack.

The cats are fooled by this and think they're eating something else.

there's no reason whatever to think that

The ingredients prove they're fooled.

clearly there is no reason to think they're fooled. The idea that you can fool a nose that can sniff 2 parts per billion with different meats is entirely unrealistic.

Well if they smell the 4% and believe it therefore must be entirely tuna and not chicken, they're fooled.

Mind you, maybe it's the same as humans liking salt and vinegar crisps or prawn cocktail crisps.

that isn't people being fooled either

If you tried to feed me on 5 flavours of crisps and nothing else, I'd get annoyed.

If I don't mix the pretend flavours, they go off it.

yes they get bored.

--
Peter is listening to "Hollywood Undead - Turn Out The Lights"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:56:57 +0100, wrote:

[...]

It's not work, it's free food. If someone came round to my house and gave me two meals and I picked one by the smell, I wouldn't require paid to do so.

--
Where Article 51 applies, the number of Directors subject to retirement by
rotation under Article 49 shall be reduced (subject to Article 64(g)) by

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/18 14:43, whisky-dave wrote:
Well we can construct things and wear clothes so we can venture out into new enviroments and **** those up to.

Oh dear another 'only humans **** the environment up' Lefty****

You should see what rabbits and deer do.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 10:45:31 -0700 (PDT), , another
mentally challenged, troll-feeding idiot, driveled again:

yes they get bored.

The Scottish ****** NEVER gets bored baiting idiots like you! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 08:56:22 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave, the notorious
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered again:

what happens if it eats both ?

The Scottish asshole troll will eat EVERYTHING you senile idiots keep
feeding him with! BG

Double glazed doors and catflaps Nestor Kiklu UK diy 11 July 30th 08 07:43 PM
Windproof Catflaps ? . UK diy 11 November 12th 06 09:37 AM
Why is a cats head call a cats head? TheAndroid Metalworking 11 January 17th 06 09:42 AM
Some daft schemes really do work. Dougie Woodworking 3 March 9th 04 02:31 AM
Is This A Daft Idea??? Alan Darlington UK diy 3 September 18th 03 09:10 PM