Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default Windproof Catflaps ?

as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

PMSL - you should try it with a large dog flap :-}

(ours is about 35cm*30cm and leaks like a b*tch)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson writes

(ours is about 35cm*30cm and leaks like a b*tch)

Is that the flap or the dog...? ;-)
--
Kenny
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(ours is about 35cm*30cm and leaks like a b*tch)
Is that the flap or the dog...? ;-)

Mainly the flap, but she also likes puddles - although not the sort she
left herself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"." writes:
as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the

We had a basic Staywell magnetic catflap, and I don't recall
that allowing any draft through. However, I'm talking of one
bought 30 years ago. They might have changed the design since.

flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

Mine lived to a few weeks short of 22.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-11 19:26:25 +0000, "." said:

as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

In the pecking order:

- The cat is in charge

- She who thinks she has a cat is number two. The cat has her.

- He who thinks he's in charge, (i.e. you) is very definitely number
three and that should not be forgotten.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

It may or may not. Another will take its place when it does.

In the meantime, there are plenty of cat flaps around that have a
flexible plastic magnetic strip around the door and frame. Staywell
is one brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:58:58 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

- The cat is in charge

- She who thinks she has a cat is number two. The cat has her.

Or as the saying goes:

Humans never have cats. Cats have staff.

In the meantime, there are plenty of cat flaps around that have a
flexible plastic magnetic strip around the door and frame. Staywell
is one brand.

I'd recommend Pet Mate. Good quality, and if anything does break you can
actually get spare parts at a reasonable price. I've always had new
latches sent free (we had an 18lb cat who used to try and leave at high
speed when it was locked; can't blame the build quality).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

On 2006-11-11 19:26:25 +0000, "." said:

as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

In the pecking order:

- The cat is in charge

no **** :-)

- She who thinks she has a cat is number two. The cat has her.

amen.

- He who thinks he's in charge, (i.e. you) is very definitely number
three and that should not be forgotten.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

It may or may not. Another will take its place when it does.

In the meantime, there are plenty of cat flaps around that have a
flexible plastic magnetic strip around the door and frame. Staywell
is one brand.

I'll have a look for it. we have a staywell but it has a felt type surround.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

If it meant I was trying to heat the outside world just to let
"tiddles" have the ability to come and go as he/she plaeses then I
would be tempted to help it on its way to kitty heaven !!!
I am a dog person anyhoo, And yes the dog sleeps out of the house

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

Expanding foam...? If that does not work, try it on the cat flap ;-)

(I recall a tommorow's world gadget that was a catflap shaped a little
like a horizontal figure of eight. There was a pivot in the middle. It
was designed such that it could only rotate just under 180 degrees. The
cat pushed the left hand end to get through from either side. Cunningly
the outside left hand end was a little larger than the other end. Hence
a stong wind tended to push it tighter shut. Should be simple enough to
knock up something similar)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:

as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

It may be worth bearing in mind that she may prefer the cat to you.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote:
as header. she who insists cats are pets and not pests has a cat
which, naturally, has it's own entrance to the house via a magnetic
catflap in the new, well sealed, formerly wind and weatherproof
back door.

now winter is upon us and all the wind that brings, the utility room,
kitchen and dining room again have a steady draught coming through
them from the leaky catflap. three rads cannot compete and it's
obviously making a mockery of any attempt I make to have a warm home.

does anyone know of a wind proof catflap ? short of gaffer taping the
flap shut I'm looking at suffering another chilly ankled winter because
of a ****ing cat and one womans delusion that it's a pet.

on a brighter side it's 17 or 18 so it should die soon, fingers crossed.

Contact the manufacturer and ask them to send another magnet, then glue that
on (the flap, not the cat).