Alan Darlington

Default Is This A Daft Idea???

Hi Folks,

I need to extend our living room chimney breast by about 60mm to
centralise our new fireplace around the opening - the breast is only
about 150mm deep the most. I have been thinking of ways to do it and
have come up with the idea of using a piece of 'L' section plastic
similar to plastic soffit. This should be relatively easy to fit and
will give a nice crisp edge to the corner of the breast. Hopefully it
won't swell or expand with changes in temp/humidity etc. It will also
aid running cables inside it. Ideally I'm looking for a supplier in
the Wirral/Chester/Liverpool area. It needs to be about 30mm by 150mm
section by about 2.5 M and about 6-10 mm thick. Is this a daft idea?
Has anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Christian McArdle

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Build a frame out of timber. This will be simple, if you choose the right
thickness of wood, you could just use a thick batten to gain 60mm. Apply
plasterboard. Paint. Rejig cornicing and skirting.

Cost? Very little. Probably change out of twenty quid. Tools required? A
saw, a hammer, a screwdriver, a drill and a paintbrush.

It would be much stronger than using a thin piece of plastic.

Christian.

Alan Darlington

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...
Alan Darlington wrote in message
. ..
Hi Folks,

I need to extend our living room chimney breast by about 60mm to
centralise our new fireplace around the opening - the breast is only
about 150mm deep the most. I have been thinking of ways to do it and
have come up with the idea of using a piece of 'L' section plastic
similar to plastic soffit. This should be relatively easy to fit and
will give a nice crisp edge to the corner of the breast. Hopefully it
won't swell or expand with changes in temp/humidity etc. It will also
aid running cables inside it. Ideally I'm looking for a supplier in
the Wirral/Chester/Liverpool area. It needs to be about 30mm by 150mm
section by about 2.5 M and about 6-10 mm thick. Is this a daft idea?
Has anyone got any other ideas?

Aluminium or brass L section might be better if there's any heat involved.

Hi Gents,

Thanks again for all your helpfull advice. I have obtained an off-cut
piece of soffit for £5 + vat. The long side is 20mm thick and the
short side is 10mmthick - all quite rigid in fact. I always intended
to fit the plastic to a timber frame. There will be a 25mm gap
between the short side of the 'L' section and the metal strip running
down the corner of the chimney breast. This should be easy to fill
and should allow for any discrepancies between the two edges.
The nice clean edge of the L section is far better than I could
produce in wood and that's what made me think of it in the first
place. The plastic will be on the end of the breast at least 2 feet
from the fireplace opening so no problems with heat etc. As they say
Necessity is the Mother of Invention. I can only try. I'll let you
know how it works out. Sorry about mixing imperial and metric.

Regards,

Alan