N. Thornton

Default Another strange wall repair idea

Hi

Take a block wall and split it from top to bottom. Tilt one side of
the wall over so the top has moved sideways by about 3/4 of an inch.
Ie the 2 sides dont align at the top.

Now, I dont believe this, but someone is telling me that this wall can
be satisfactorily repaired by nothing more than replacing the split
blocks and repointing at the split. How can one do that if the 2
halves dont line up? I know one _could_, but it'd be a right bodge,
surely.

Your comments will be welcome...

Regards, NT
dg

If it has been determined that there is no progressive movement ie the
walls will not move any further apart, then this is an effective
repair. It may not be cosmetically appealling, but it should be
structurally OK.

If further movement is expected, then re-inforcement in the horizontal
joints, and a flexible sealant is the answer.

The two sections may never be perfectly re-aligned though.

The important thing is to determine the cause of the crack and deal
with that. The crack is just the symptom.

dg

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...
Hi

Take a block wall and split it from top to bottom. Tilt one side of
the wall over so the top has moved sideways by about 3/4 of an inch.
Ie the 2 sides dont align at the top.

Now, I dont believe this, but someone is telling me that this wall can
be satisfactorily repaired by nothing more than replacing the split
blocks and repointing at the split. How can one do that if the 2
halves dont line up? I know one _could_, but it'd be a right bodge,
surely.

Your comments will be welcome...

Regards, NT

Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM
Strange marks on wall james Mc UK diy 2 August 1st 03 11:29 PM
strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
Building an internal wall - brick or stud? steve UK diy 6 July 24th 03 09:40 AM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM