Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How to slacken single spout mixer tap

It is normal taps hot & cold (kitchen) with a central spout. The spout
has become stiff to swivel so was planning to take off and clean to see
if this eases it.
It has a grub screw at the rear which I have taken out but still I
cannot release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit.
Any ideas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote on 06/05/2018 :
It is normal taps hot & cold (kitchen) with a central spout. The spout has
become stiff to swivel so was planning to take off and clean to see if this
eases it.
It has a grub screw at the rear which I have taken out but still I cannot
release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit.

It should have two different diameters/pipes inside the spout to keep
hot away from cold until it exits the spout, so two O rings providing
the sealing. Once the grub screw is out, the spout should just pull up
and out, but lime-scale may be holding it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/05/2018 09:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
but lime-scale may be holding it.

Soft water here but could be a build up over the years. I have applied a
fair bit of force but no luck so far, I might try soaking in vinegar and
see if that helps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I cannot release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit. Any
ideas.

Small strap wrench?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/05/2018 09:59, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

I cannot release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit. Any
ideas.

Small strap wrench?

I can swivel it left & right (although stiff) but awkward to get a
strong upward lift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss formulated on Sunday :
I can swivel it left & right (although stiff) but awkward to get a strong
upward lift.

You would struggle to get vinegar to soak its way in, past the O ring
seals.

See if you can insert a suitable length of wood, between the tap end of
the spout, close to where it bends over and the top of the sink. Using
the wood as the fulcrum, press down on the spout. Your next option will
be to remove the tap and get it in a vice, to try pulling the spout
out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/05/2018 10:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

See if you can insert a suitable length of wood, between the tap end of
the spout, close to where it bends over and the top of the sink. Using
the wood as the fulcrum, press down on the spout. Your next option will
be to remove the tap and get it in a vice, to try pulling the spout out.

I will try with some wood to lever it, removing the tap not an option as
soldered to copper pipe and not flexi hose and almost impossible to get
a wrench in.
I previously had to get someone to tighten the nut that holds the tap to
the underside of the sink, with limited access I just didnt have the
strength to make any impression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/18 08:33, ss wrote:
It is normal taps hot & cold (kitchen) with a central spout. The spout
has become stiff to swivel so was planning to take off and clean to see
if this eases it.
It has a grub screw at the rear which I have taken out but still I
cannot release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit.
Any ideas.

descaler if your water is hard
Then mole grips and a towel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
It is normal taps hot & cold (kitchen) with a central spout. The spout
has become stiff to swivel so was planning to take off and clean to see
if this eases it.
It has a grub screw at the rear which I have taken out but still I
cannot release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit.
Any ideas.

Whilst looking for clues about my tap valve access issue, I read
in passing that some spouts are installed & removed at a certain
angle (of rotation).
However, whether you can rotate it 360 Deg would be the first
issue I can think of...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/05/18 08:33, ss wrote:
It is normal taps hot & cold (kitchen) with a central spout. The spout
has become stiff to swivel so was planning to take off and clean to
see if this eases it.
It has a grub screw at the rear which I have taken out but still I
cannot release the spout, I presume it is just a tight fit.
Any ideas.

descaler if your water is hard
Then mole grips and a towel

OK I never managed because of the angles to get vice grips or use wood
for levering, I even tried with my wife holding the taps down while I
sat on the sink with the taps between my legs and pulled upwards on the
spout (no comments please) and it wouldnt budge.
Eventually I managed to get a couple of thin screwdrivers at opposing
ends under it and lever them upwards, after several attempts it popped off.
o-rings look ok but there was a nylon washer that looked like it had old
and caked grease, cleaned it and for now smeared with vaseline and much
smoother and easier to swivel.

Removing spout from Framke mixer tap Mike Clarke UK diy 4 August 24th 17 03:14 PM
mixer tap spout stuart noble UK diy 25 November 16th 12 07:19 PM
slacken compression fitting to bleed air ... BANG! RobertL UK diy 35 January 12th 09 09:53 AM
Mixer tap (kitchen sink): spout getting 'heavy' to swivel MM UK diy 6 August 14th 05 11:09 PM
connecting single hole kitchen mixer tap to water pipes [email protected] UK diy 6 July 11th 05 11:52 PM