Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soffit board replacement

The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit
boards on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd
be interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I
was thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/18 10:12, Andy wrote:
The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit
boards on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd
be interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I
was thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?

Did you mean to include fascias as well? It would look a bit odd to have
nice new siffits and tatty fascias.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-May-18 10:24 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/05/18 10:12, Andy wrote:
The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit
boards on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd
be interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I
was thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?

Did you mean to include fascias as well? It would look a bit odd to have
nice new siffits and tatty fascias.

No, not at the moment. The facias are ok - and all upvc. The soffit
boards are well underneath, and are not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 May 2018 10:13:02 UTC+1, Andy wrote:
The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit
boards on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd
be interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I
was thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?

Just brush them then. If you must, use a soft scraper like a flexible plastic, something from the kitchen bin, that won't break asbestos cement up. There's no point putting pvc on top of asbestos.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There's no point putting pvc on top of asbestos.

Other than to make the soffits and fascias look the sane, which is why I
did it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/18 10:12, Andy wrote:
[...]

The mistake was painting them in the first place. Quite a few
houses near me have had their cement-based soffits (it isn't
the dangerous brown or blue asbestos) overclad with upvc
panelling. Not sure what sort of adhesive was used, but it can
be done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Andy wrote :
No, not at the moment. The facias are ok - and all upvc. The soffit boards
are well underneath, and are not.

The usual soffit panels hook onto a ledge in the L shaped facia at one
side, then into a U shaped plastic channel fixed at the wall end. So
not normally any need for fixings apart from for the U along the wall.

I wouldn't really expect nails to work very well into asbestos - you
would need to drill a pilot hole through to the underlying wood. Screws
would be better and much more secure, but what ever you use needs to be
stainless or solid brass rather than brass plated.

I nailed my facias up, then screwed through gutter and fascia with 2"
solid brass screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 May 2018 13:10:07 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 03/05/2018 11:54, tabbypurr wrote:

There's no point putting pvc on top of asbestos

why not ?. The cement-based soffits are far better at
containing the spread of fire, something that people
don't seem to be concerned about. It's class O and
stops a serious fire emitting hot gases and flames
up and into the loft via the front and back of the
building.

Asbestos is more fireproof, less breakage prone, doesn't need any maintennace, and when already there costs nothing to keep.

Slapping UPVC everywhere should be covered by
building regs. Maybe after the Grenfell enquiry it
will be.

No, low rise housing is highly flammable & relies on alarms & people getting out quickly. With high rise that can't be done, so a different approach is needed.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-May-18 1:16 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Andy wrote :
No, not at the moment. The facias are ok - and all upvc. The soffit
boards are well underneath, and are not.

The usual soffit panels hook onto a ledge in the L shaped facia at one
side, then into a U shaped plastic channel fixed at the wall end. So not
normally any need for fixings apart from for the U along the wall.

I wouldn't really expect nails to work very well into asbestos - you
would need to drill a pilot hole through to the underlying wood. Screws
would be better and much more secure, but what ever you use needs to be
stainless or solid brass rather than brass plated.

I nailed my facias up, then screwed through gutter and fascia with 2"
solid brass screws.

I wasn't intending to nail the new boards to the asbestos just tack a
few stainless steel nails through into the wood to help the adhesive.
What I really wanted to know was whether something like 'no-nails' would
do the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 3 May 2018 13:10:07 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 03/05/2018 11:54, tabbypurr wrote:

There's no point putting pvc on top of asbestos

why not ?. The cement-based soffits are far better at
containing the spread of fire, something that people
don't seem to be concerned about. It's class O and
stops a serious fire emitting hot gases and flames
up and into the loft via the front and back of the
building.

Asbestos is more fireproof, less breakage prone, doesn't need any
maintennace, and when already there costs nothing to keep.

Slapping UPVC everywhere should be covered by
building regs. Maybe after the Grenfell enquiry it
will be.

No, low rise housing is highly flammable

Mine isnt. Almost entirely glass, concrete, quarry tile. No carpet or
curtains at all.

& relies on alarms & people getting out quickly.

Easy with mine, 13 patio doors. Only the dunnys
and bathrooms dont have at least one.

With high rise that can't be done, so a different approach is needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 May 2018 07:49:10 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
o.uk...
The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit boards
on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd be
interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I was
thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?

Have you ever tried to glue or nail asbestos?. I'm not sure of the sort of
thing these existing ones are.
Brian

I know I wouldn't want to try nailing it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/05/2018 18:19, Andy wrote:
[...]

If it is asbestos then do not puncture it with a nail.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2018 14:42, ARW wrote:
On 03/05/2018 18:19, Andy wrote:
[...]

It'll be cement reinforced with white asbestos fibres. Tough stuff.

If he were to hammer anything into it, it will probably shatter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04-May-18 8:17 PM, Andrew wrote:
On 04/05/2018 14:42, ARW wrote:
On 03/05/2018 18:19, Andy wrote:
[...]

I wasn't intending to hammer anything into it, just drill it with a very
fine drill and then nail through it.