Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soffit board replacement

On Friday, 4 May 2018 07:49:10 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
o.uk...
The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit boards
on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd be
interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I was
thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?

Have you ever tried to glue or nail asbestos?. I'm not sure of the sort of
thing these existing ones are.
Brian

I know I wouldn't want to try nailing it.

NT