Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soffit Replacement

OK, another question.

I have a house which is prone to ice damming. The soffits are wood,
with some soffit vents. I was considering replacing it with vinyl. I
have seen vinyl soffit with tiny holes throughout, like the entire
this is a vent. This appeals to me in that it would keep the roof
well-ventillated, but I don't know if it is a good idea.

I am considering doing this myself, although I have never done it
before.

My questions:

Is the completely vented soffit a good idea?

Can someone provide some links which will give me some direction in
choice of material and installation? I am unable to find exactly what
I am seeking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 9:49?am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
OK, another question.

I have a house which is prone to ice damming. The soffits are wood,
with some soffit vents. I was considering replacing it with vinyl. I
have seen vinyl soffit with tiny holes throughout, like the entire
this is a vent. This appeals to me in that it would keep the roof
well-ventillated, but I don't know if it is a good idea.

I am considering doing this myself, although I have never done it
before.

My questions:

Is the completely vented soffit a good idea?

Sure.

But I worry about "tiny" holes. Do the holes, taken in aggregate,
approximate the "holes" you now have? You should be able to find out what
percentage of the proposed material is "hole."- Hide quoted text -

The soffit I am talking about essentially looks like the whole piece
is a vent, if that makes sense. The overall "opening" as an aggrgate
would far exceed what I have now. I'm wondering if that's a good
idea.

My thought was to possibly attach screening material behind it, much
like you see on vents you buy, so as to avoid small bugs that can fit
through the holes, although I don't know if its necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:13:33 -0700, "
wrote:

On Aug 7, 9:49?am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's because you now only have a few areas with holes, right? Not
because the holes in the vinyl are bigger than the holes in whatever
you have now?

I'm wondering if that's a good
idea.

AFAIK, you can't have too much opening there.

My thought was to possibly attach screening material behind it, much
like you see on vents you buy, so as to avoid small bugs that can fit
through the holes, although I don't know if its necessary.

I'm no judge but the townhouses here were built with windows screening
-- I forget if it is vinyl or aluminum -- the whole width of the
house, front and back, about 4 inches wide.

If you are going to put screening behind it, maybe all you need is the
screening? Not it.

In Baltimore and wouldn't have ice damning anyhow, I think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, another question.

I have a house which is prone to ice damming. The soffits are wood,
with some soffit vents. I was considering replacing it with vinyl. I
have seen vinyl soffit with tiny holes throughout, like the entire
this is a vent. This appeals to me in that it would keep the roof
well-ventillated, but I don't know if it is a good idea.

I am considering doing this myself, although I have never done it
before.

My questions:

Is the completely vented soffit a good idea?

My house has vented aluminum soffit all the way around, gabled ends and
everything.
Too much? Nope, it dosen't hurt a thing.

soffit vent screen replacement Trina Home Repair 0 August 7th 07 03:05 PM
Soffit Vents johno UK diy 9 April 2nd 07 03:32 PM
building a soffit William_F Woodworking 2 May 21st 05 05:30 PM
building a soffit Ret Home Ownership 1 May 21st 05 03:59 PM
Soffit vents? Me too. Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 05:20 PM