Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Soffit Replacement

on 8/7/2007 12:13 PM said the following:
On Aug 7, 9:49?am, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

OK, another question.

I have a house which is prone to ice damming. The soffits are wood,
with some soffit vents. I was considering replacing it with vinyl. I
have seen vinyl soffit with tiny holes throughout, like the entire
this is a vent. This appeals to me in that it would keep the roof
well-ventillated, but I don't know if it is a good idea.

I am considering doing this myself, although I have never done it
before.

My questions:

Is the completely vented soffit a good idea?

Sure.

But I worry about "tiny" holes. Do the holes, taken in aggregate,
approximate the "holes" you now have? You should be able to find out what
percentage of the proposed material is "hole."- Hide quoted text -

The soffit I am talking about essentially looks like the whole piece
is a vent, if that makes sense. The overall "opening" as an aggrgate
would far exceed what I have now. I'm wondering if that's a good
idea.

My thought was to possibly attach screening material behind it, much
like you see on vents you buy, so as to avoid small bugs that can fit
through the holes, although I don't know if its necessary.

Not necessary. They'll get in another way, if they want.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY