Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soffit Vents

I need to fit soffit vents to the existing rectangular holes in the
soffit boards. Most of the holes had been covered with chicken wire
although this has long gone! I am looking at covering 20 of the
beggars, so nothing too expensive, but at the same time not chicken
wire!!
The hole sizes are 220mm x 50mm. Any suggestions as to a supplier, a
good trawl through Google has revealed nothing, although in the pastI
do seem to recall Screwfix selling something suitable at a very
reasonable price.
Thanks

johno

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"johno" writes:
I need to fit soffit vents to the existing rectangular holes in the
soffit boards. Most of the holes had been covered with chicken wire
although this has long gone! I am looking at covering 20 of the
beggars, so nothing too expensive, but at the same time not chicken
wire!!
The hole sizes are 220mm x 50mm. Any suggestions as to a supplier, a
good trawl through Google has revealed nothing, although in the pastI
do seem to recall Screwfix selling something suitable at a very
reasonable price.

I've only seen round vents, or continuous strip (but not that wide).
Wickes sell sheets of welded mesh which is something like 8mm pitch
which would keep birds out, but not insects. Years ago, I bought a
large sheet of very fine brass mesh to fit over a larder window,
but the place where I bought it no longer does that sort of thing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article .com,
"johno" writes:
[...]

Sounds like the op needs a roll of what our American sparring partners
call 'screen door mesh'. Various styles but the one I have in mind is
a very stiff nylon mesh with about a 1mm pitch. Might even not be to
expensive to buy a roll on US ebay

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"johno" writes:
I need to fit soffit vents to the existing rectangular holes in the
soffit boards. Most of the holes had been covered with chicken wire
although this has long gone! I am looking at covering 20 of the
beggars, so nothing too expensive, but at the same time not chicken
wire!!
The hole sizes are 220mm x 50mm. Any suggestions as to a supplier, a
good trawl through Google has revealed nothing, although in the pastI
do seem to recall Screwfix selling something suitable at a very
reasonable price.

I've only seen round vents, or continuous strip (but not that wide).

Same here - I was thinking they were odd shaped holes. Maybe you need
to make up some rectangular patches of WBP plywood, with round holes in
the middle to accept standard vents, and then fit these in position!

Wickes sell sheets of welded mesh which is something like 8mm pitch
which would keep birds out, but not insects. Years ago, I bought a
large sheet of very fine brass mesh to fit over a larder window,
but the place where I bought it no longer does that sort of thing.

I *think* I may have seen finer mesh in B&Q actually - sold in sheets
about 2' square?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:

I need to fit soffit vents to the existing rectangular holes in the
soffit boards. Most of the holes had been covered with chicken wire
although this has long gone! I am looking at covering 20 of the
beggars, so nothing too expensive, but at the same time not chicken
wire!!
The hole sizes are 220mm x 50mm. Any suggestions as to a supplier, a
good trawl through Google has revealed nothing, although in the pastI
do seem to recall Screwfix selling something suitable at a very
reasonable price.
Thanks

johno

Please have a look at this before you block your eave vents.
http://www.londons-swifts.org.uk/Eaves.htm
Unlike martins, swifts make no mess around the entrance holes.
Thanks
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johno" wrote

I need to fit soffit vents to the existing rectangular holes in the
soffit boards. Most of the holes had been covered with chicken wire
although this has long gone! I am looking at covering 20 of the
beggars, so nothing too expensive, but at the same time not chicken
wire!!

For another similar application, I bought those pan cover mesh things (to
stop fat flying when frying IYSWIM).
Got them from the pound shop, so didn't break the bank.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The holes are already cut
into the soffit boards (looks like asbestos board?) and as there are
20 of them I wanted something fairly quick and easy to fit before the
nesting season gets into its stride! Looks like some form of mesh and
a shot of gloop from a cartridge is the easy way.
I have never seen swifts in the area, just hoards of starlings and I
certainly dont want to encourage them!!!!
Thanks again
Johno

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:

I have never seen swifts in the area,

...........maybe because all the soffit vents are blocked ??

Seriously, the site has advice on hole sizes to prevent starlings.

--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
I need to fit soffit vents to the existing rectangular holes in the
soffit boards. Most of the holes had been covered with chicken wire
although this has long gone! I am looking at covering 20 of the
beggars, so nothing too expensive, but at the same time not chicken
wire!!
The hole sizes are 220mm x 50mm. Any suggestions as to a supplier, a
good trawl through Google has revealed nothing, although in the pastI
do seem to recall Screwfix selling something suitable at a very
reasonable price.
Thanks

johno

59p each, just use white gripfast or similar adhesive - you may need a roll
of duck tape and tape them overnight until the glue sets, or you could screw
them, but asbestos doesn't hold screws too good and the dust off it can kill
you. :-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Mar, 22:57, "Phil L" wrote:
johno wrote:
[...]

PERFECT!!!
I thought I had seen them in their catalogue a while back, but when I
looked just recently I could not see them, now I know why. I was
looking under soffit ventilation!
Cheers, just the job.
John